1988 ('06) E350 Van Build

• HTML tutorial

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

So it's been a while, and that's mainly due to all the things that have been going wrong...

BUT I do have progress to show! First off shock towers:
IMG_20230901_181340.jpg IMG_20230901_181331.jpg

The new shock towers have been fabricated, welded in and painted with all new Fox shocks installed. The new eyelet at the top is roughly 5" higher, and I don't think I'll have to cut into the body. I've also deleted the track bar and relocated (so they're actually functional) the bump stops. I ended up with about 4" of extra up travel and only 1~1.5 in down travel, which is still way way more than the 4x4 kit originally had

Now for the engine! (don't mind the broomstick, I was using it to take measurements)
IMG_20230901_175550.jpg IMG_20230901_175518.jpg IMG_20230901_175610.jpg

I could get it to work as it's placed but I think I'm going to pull the whole drivetrain out again so I can notch the crossmember. That will allow me to drop it another 1.5" giving me just that little bit more wiggle room under the dog house (ease of maintenance down the road and better transmission angle)
IMG_20230901_175622.jpg IMG_20230901_175614.jpg

Now, for all the headaches I've had since finally getting the right engine!
1) Engine hoist not long enough so I had to mod the boom, but that was kinda fun and I set it up to add a forklift attachment in future.
2) The transmission adapter didn't fit, Speed Gems asks what engine/trans combo you're planning on so they can ensure fit, that apparently didn't happen. The om648 oil pan I'm using has bolt holes in slightly different locations, but the drill press made quick work of that.
3) The clutch that Speed Gems sent with their kit didn't work with my transmission nor their custom machined flywheel... go figure. I ordered a new clutch to just get it together and that at least matched the bolt holes on their custom flywheel but...
4) I have NO idea what pilot bearing I'm supposed to use. It doesn't work with the bearing they provided with the kit (which is a proper Ford pilot bearing) nor the one that came with my new proper clutch. The hole on the flywheel is just too small (1.065" vs 1.375" od pilot bearings for Fords)

I contacted them just a bit too late for their business hours so I'm hoping to hear from them tomorrow. Still, for $1750 I hoped their kit would at least work with the parts they provided. I can kind of understand if their kit doesn't work with the om648 oil sump when it's not necessarily advertised for it but it is billeted for any 1987+ straight 5 & 6 merc engines, which includes the om648. Overall, I'm kinda annoyed at the lack of attention to detail for such a high priced item. Worse comes to worse I can either take the flywheel to a local machine shop to have it lathed to match the Ford pilot bearing, or I think I could get a specific AMC pilot bearing to work from 70s~80s Jeeps

That said the engine and transmission are bolted together for now (sans clutch) for placement and engine mount fabrication. I'd like to get that all designed over this long weekend and maybe welded in next week, I'm taking a bit of time off work so hopefully that'll actually happen. Right now it's looking like I'll have all the room I need under the hood to get what I want in there, it'll be a tight squeeze length wise but I can make it all work with electric fans if need be. Hopefully more updates soon!!!

Last edited:

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Got the engine cradle notched and now the engine is sitting right where I want it, going to punch out the new motor mounts tonight
IMG_20230904_121206.jpg IMG_20230904_130622.jpg

Looks like I have plenty of clearance for the stock turbo/exhaust (which I do plan on replacing) and the new om648 oil pan. I did have to skootch the transmission all the way back on it's mount but that should be fine
IMG_20230904_130704.jpg IMG_20230904_130634.jpg IMG_20230904_130720.jpg

I'm using Cadillac hydraulic motor mounts from one of their v6 series engines due to availability and similarity with the (slightly smaller) merc engine mounts. Dry weight is less than the om606 but I'm hoping that won't be too much of an issue. If it becomes an issue, I plan on making the motor mounts in a two piece design with the lower portion bolting onto the cradle as Ford mounts did, I can redesign from there if I need to use a different type of mount.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Is this CAD, Cardboard Aided Design, or garage arts n crafts?
IMG_20230905_102658.jpg IMG_20230905_113034.jpg

Going to get these measured and modeled up in Solidworks today, should allow me to have them punched out on the plasma table by tonight.

Also, as an update with Speed Gems, they got back to me bright n early in the morning after the Labor Day weekend so I appreciate that. They're having me ship back the car clutch and will credit me the cost of it. It also turns out that their custom flywheel doesn't use the Ford pilot needle bearing but a brass bushing, checking back through all the boxes I ended up finding the bushing.

The guy on the phone couldn't answer if the flywheel not being surface machined would be an issue for my clutch (it's smooth-ish, but definitely not machined, looks like it's right out of the casting). Just to keep it from being a headache by eating clutches, I might still send it to a local machine shop to get surfaced and ask them what it'd cost to have the center whole lathed to match the Ford pilot bearing (I also don't want to have to constantly find custom brass bushings rather than the pilot bearing that comes with clutch kits)

Still extra work for me to do but overall I'm happy with the progress so far

• Love
Reactions: GLOCKer

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

More clutch headaches... If anyone with engine swap experience can chime in with advice I'd greatly appreciate it

The custom flywheel was supposedly for a Ford MOD style clutch. Can't be as far as I can tell since the MOD 5.4 flywheel has the machined surface slightly recessed in from where the pressure plates actually bolt to bolt to and the clutch is too large (12" clutch disk)

I tried a Ford 460 clutch today and no go, she's got the right spline (1 1/4 shaft, 10 spline) but the disk and pressure plate are also too large at 12". Does anyone know if the Ford 4.6 v8 is considered a MOD motor? Looking online it's flywheel seems to be a complete flat surface so maybe that's what the clutch was designed for...
Problem there, it'd have too small an input spline for my ZF-5

The guy at Speed Gems has been very helpful so far but the time difference is a pain

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Soooo... I may have this figured out, I just need Speed Gems and a Tractor co to get back to me with more info

The kit may be designed for Ford MOD engines from the cars, which had 10", 10.5" and 11" clutch disks

International Tractors have 10, 10.5, and 11" clutches. Some of them seem to have 1.25 10 spline input shafts. I just need to confirm what clutches had 1.25" diameter splines
It also looks like an Alis Chalmers D17 tractor also used an 11" clutch disc and 1.25" 10 spline input, so maybe that's an option.

I can get a diaphragm from a 90s Ford Mustang and a clutch disc from a tractor and combine the two for one working clutch kit... Maybe

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

That's a Case clutch, 10.5" diameter, 10 spline and 1.25" shaft.
You can't order directly from that company but you should be able to use that part number or the model to find what you need. Or find a tractor supply near you that is a distributor of A&I products and order it through them.

Reactions: Built By Fluffy

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Actually that is the Case part number just take the "A-" off of it, looks like it subs to 358041R91

This is what's available for the AC D17
Thanks for helping dig up info, I really appreciate it.

I may have also found another solution, just found an 11" clutch disc with a 1.25" 10 spline input from NAPA. No info on engine type but it may be the right size, not pricy and actually meant for automotive applications. I'm still waiting to hear back from Speed Gems on what size clutch their kit is supposed to use. From what I can tell by the one they sent (that doesn't fit) it is a 10.5" for a Ford 4.6 v8, so that size is out.

That leaves 10", 11", and I possibly the F150 11.5"?

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

You may have already found Napa's online clutch book but here's a link anyway. It'll take you to the catalog page, on the left side go to clutches and on page 127 I found an 11", 1.25" 10 spline. Looks to be for an '88-'96 Super duty with the 7.3L.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

So doing some more digging into clutch bolt patterns and measuring off the flywheel of the kit, I think it's meant to take Chevy/GM style 10.5 or 11" clutches
McLeod Racing Clutch Diaphragm Bolt Patterns
IMG_20230908_111910.jpg

The outer ring of bolt holes measure at 12 5/8" as pictured above and the inner ring of bolt holes line up at 11 5/8, which match nothin Ford but lines up with GM 10.5 and 11~12" clutches...
I could see why the original machinist who designed these kits would just use GM clutches, he probably wanted them plentiful and easy to get for his customers. GM engines are everywhere, mostly all shared the same clutch diaphragm pattern, and the clutches don't seem to change even if the family of engine changed.

I probably should wait for Speed Gems to confirm what I found but I'm buying new clutch parts anyway, I'm not in the mood for any further delays. Mixing a GM 11" clutch diaphragm with the aforementioned Ford 7.3L IDI (naturally aspirated) 11" clutch disc.

Last edited:

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

She's in, no strings (chains?) attached! Hopefully for the last time
IMG_20230913_200203.jpg IMG_20230913_195953.jpg IMG_20230913_200009.jpg

Now that the engine is in her permanent home I think I'm going to start doing some clean up on wiring and brake lines. I'm still waiting on the clutch parts otherwise the transmission would be out and I'd be finishing that. I also found out that the rubber boot on the trans ripped again, which is my fourth...
Any Ford guys out there know a reputable replacement?

Also, unfortunately, the weight of the engine, transmission & transfercase bent the extension arm I made for my engine hoist so I also have that to fix (1/4" wall will I think do better than 1/8")

• Love

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Saint Helens, Columbia County, Oregon, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Ok, so starting the build thread!
We have a ford van that is going to be our flagship family adventure wagon, replacing the late great Wagoneer.

Essentially, it has a bed platform in the back and seating currently for 5. I'd like it to remain capable of carrying 4~5 passengers comfortably and still be a capable vehicle to camp out of.

Near term plans:
1) pull out kitchen and water storage in the rear
2) swivle front seats
3) rock sliders and tube bumpers
4) general comfort and storage

Long term plans:
1) 4x4 conversion
2) some sort of bat-wing awning with walls
3) completely spray insulate under the plastic trim
4) integrated gasoline heater
5) house battery setup

I've seem plenty of these vans built into campers/small RVs before but they always seem to be built for two people. I'm excited to get cracking on a family van build!
Following.. looks like an awesome build platform! Excited to see it progress!

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Slow but steady progress. New Holset HX30 Super turbocharger installed along with the rebuilt mech pump with 7.5mm elements (supposedly built to 110cc fuel delivery)
IMG_20231015_104540.jpg IMG_20231015_104547.jpg IMG_20231015_105027.jpg

I say supposedly built to 110cc because originally I was under the impression that I was ordering a pump built by Dieselmeken (whom are well known for building these pumps and have a great reputation) but, soon after I ordered the pump, the merchant's website updated the description from "allow 2~3 weeks for shipping to and from Europe" to "allow 2~3 weeks as we build these pumps in house to order"...
It's obviously Dieselmeken parts that have been installed on this pump, but the merchant in question has absolutely no online reputation and prior was only known for rebuilding injectors. I wouldn't have ordered it from him had I known he was building it over the Europeans (there aren't really any known US pump builders for these) but I guess I'll find out if he did a good job

On the turbo side it's all BenzForce parts to install the Holset turbo, very happy working with him and all his stuff has either been quality machined or genuine mercedes. There's barely any room for the new turbo, I will probably move the engine to the right by an inch but regardless I will have to trim the inner fender of the van body to get this to work.

I went with a larger turbo over a hybridized "stock" turbo mainly to ensure I have plenty of air at the HP rating I'm trying to hit. Most hybridized merc turbos spool at lower RPMs but seem to top out at 275hp. That is my HP goal but I'd rather have more air available throughout the RPM envelope, especially up top, to keep my exhaust temps down. I know HX30 is probably overkill for what I'm planning and I'll suffer a bit at the low down RPMs but I figured my van sees highway more than trails being my DD and I also do some light towing, so worth the trade off.

• Love
Reactions: GLOCKer and MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Great build!
Also funny to see someone in the US putting in a hated German diesel instead of the glorious high displacement diesels you have. We kill for everything above 4 L displacement...

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Great build!
Also funny to see someone in the US putting in a hated German diesel instead of the glorious high displacement diesels you have. We kill for everything above 4 L displacement...
Hated? Thought the om606 was fairly well loved

It is pretty funny though. I know plenty of guys on this side of the pond that'd trade anything for the smaller displacement diesels ya'll have over there. Our V8 diesels are great for the grunt but leave much to be desired for MPGs

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Hated? Thought the om606 was fairly well loved

It is pretty funny though. I know plenty of guys on this side of the pond that'd trade anything for the smaller displacement diesels ya'll have over there. Our V8 diesels are great for the grunt but leave much to be desired for MPGs
For its durability yes, but that's about it. But that has a lot to do with what's allowed to modify and what not. The mpg numbers I usually read from the cummins guy's (4bt swapped) that don't shoot for crazy power are better than what my 2.8crd gets.
It's just as usual, you want what you can't get ;-) still looking for full size diesel ,maybe I find the right one, may it be V8 or I6 ...
Keep up the awesome work on your Van!

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

So...
Yet another reason to NEVER EVER TRUST OR BUY from Montoya's Auto

After months of jerking me around and delaying my project over and over again... I finally got the engine running for the first time tonight

The problem: there's a hard knock and the damn thing is smoking out of the coolant intake port. IF it doesn't need a full top end rebuild I'd be surprised. It's fairly obvious at this point that the video they sent me of the engine running was of a different car. Not the first time they sent fake images of what was clearly not the engine they ended up sending me, but for some reason I didn't take that as a massive red flag.

Thankfully there is a guy here locally that works on, builds and sells these engines. Might ask him for help

EDIT: So I may just be freaking out for no reason. I got a hold of the above mentioned Merc Diesel guy, he thinks that it's steam coming out of the coolant port not smoke. I also plugged up a hole I found in the exhaust and that got rid of the intermittent sucking ticking sound. I'm hoping the rough idle is just the 150 bar injectors and advanced timing, with absolutely no boost or intake manifold. I'll let it ride and if I blow up the engine, then at least I have a different and far more trustworthy source for a replacement.

Last edited:

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Here's her running, I'm still concerned but I'm hoping the loud cyclical clacking I'm hearing is just me worrying too much

Either way, body swap happening over the next week or two (Merry Christmas my poor van) and I'll keep it updated here. My dad is actually coming out to help, so that'll be fun