04 RAM 2500

• HTML tutorial

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

Recently made what some would think is the ultimate overland sin...I sold my 4 runner. I know...Why? why would you do that? Well I decided I wanted some more power and more size to carry my toys. So I found this big boy. It has a ways to go but I've got the base and it'll build fast! I love feedback and tips/gear options so please don't hesitate to let me know what I should check into.
Here's where we're at so far.

-2004 Ram 2500 quad cab
-Big Hemi power
- Ranch Hand Front bumper
-Yakima cross bars and rack base
- American Racing Baja 17" wheels
-Toyo open country AT 285/70/17

Soon to be added:

-Softtopper bed cover
-Custom fabricated bed rack
- Tepui RTT

Attachments

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Beauty!!! Carli makes some very amazing suspension for the 2500 series. Not sure how deep your pockets are but their very best lift tops at over 15k lol
There is definetly more budget minded ones tho in the 2-4k range. They handle well, soak up bumps, ruts, grooves and downed trees with ease.
I'd also be on the look out for some power wagon sliders or see who will make a set for a decent price. Also hope you don't like gas haha that big ole hemi definetly drinks.

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

haha thanks! I've been eyeing the ICON stuff but my heart is set on RTT first. The Hemi def. drinks it but I knew what I was getting myself into. lol. What I'm having issues with deciding currently is keeping with 265 tires or up sizing to 285 and all the research I've done hasn't helped clear that debate up enough for me to make up my mind!

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

What size lift?
I ran 315/70/17 on my stock 1500 (well sorta I had the tbars cranked to level it out) and I didn't have any issues
Before and after
Stock with 33s (don't member exact size but I think it was like a 285/70/17 on something like that)
And just leveled with the 315s

Also icon makes some very good stuff.

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

If I do a lift I'll probably do just a 2.5 lift but I'm scared to go 285 and lose some power and add increased wear and tear on power steering etc...

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

What size lift?
I ran 315/70/17 on my stock 1500 (well sorta I had the tbars cranked to level it out) and I didn't have any issues
Before and after
Stock with 33s (don't member exact size but I think it was like a 285/70/17 on something like that)
And just leveled with the 315s

Also icon makes some very good stuff.
Your truck is sick though!

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Can't blame ya there lol I eventually went 6" and my mpg dropped to about the same lol

Thanks man! I loved this truck but have since moved on (although I regret it) to a jeep wj that I've been slowly working on.

I'm always envious and excited to see people building rams especially 3rd gens they are by far my favorites. I'm actually currently on the hunt for an srt10 ram to make into a prerunner.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Check out Thuren for suspension, also expensive but their stuff is awesome. As for tires, I am running 35s with my coilovers cranked up about an inch. I havent noticed that big of a drop in mpgs, but then again I knew what I was getting into when I bought this truck. These hemis love to suck down gas and oil, so make sure you check the oil every 2,500 miles. I would do the 2.5 inch lift, the 2500s are big enough that if you did a 6inch plus it would narrow the trails you can take due to the size. Also, get the RTT before suspension, I did the suspension before and wish I got the RTT first.
IMG_1872.JPG

Reactions: timberwolf_120

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

truck bed rack.jpg

I think I've sold myself on staying with 265 AT's since I don't really do any crawling, mainly forest roads to access fly fishing/hiking. Above is the rack that will be mounted over the bed and the RTT mounted on top of that. It's about time to replace ball joints so I'll probably go ahead and do control arms too. Most likely I'll save suspension till I have an idea what my full load looks like. What RTT do you have? Im really looking at Tepui and Freespirit. I did look at all the Carli products. Def. have some stuff I'm going to get from them! diff covers and probably front end upgrade kit.

Reactions: Butt Hurt

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Nice rack!! Is that a prefabbed one or one you built?

For control arms check out rock-hard 4x4 if you want to go away from factory. They are relatively inexpensive and they work great!

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

I will def. check them out. Me and a buddy fab'd it. We saw multiple similar designs but for hanging storage plus RTT this worked out great.

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

I had a pretty sweet 4 runner that I had done all the typical yota mods to like ome suspension, t-force rack, rear swing away bumper, ARB front bumper but now with this big rig I'm kinda having to really do deep research to find what I need/want and what works. I appreciate the help.

Reactions: timberwolf_120

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

That rack is beautiful. I am trying to decide if I wanna do a RTT or get a shell and build a sleeping platform. Best way to find out what you want/need is to get out and find where your rig is lacking and build from there. I feel like for me, my set up is in a constant evolution because I realize I have things I never use and I need things I dont have.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

That rack is beautiful. I am trying to decide if I wanna do a RTT or get a shell and build a sleeping platform. Best way to find out what you want/need is to get out and find where your rig is lacking and build from there. I feel like for me, my set up is in a constant evolution because I realize I have things I never use and I need things I dont have.
If i were you because of where you live I'd do the shell so you could possibly camp into the colder season.
But that's just me lol

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

At first I was sold on the shell idea but I use the bed of the truck sometimes for business purposes so if I do a shell it'll probably be a soft collapsable shell. Plus I love the look, excitement and desire to get out there that the RTT brings.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Yea I think a RTT and awning is the way to go but a cap allows you to camp in the colder weather. Such a hard choice. And I definitely agree that the RTT looks badass and the cap doesnt have that look to it. Except for @BlkWgn, his truck is sick!

Reactions: BAMsRAM and BlkWgn

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

Yea I think a RTT and awning is the way to go but a cap allows you to camp in the colder weather. Such a hard choice. And I definitely agree that the RTT looks badass and the cap doesnt have that look to it. Except for @BlkWgn, his truck is sick!
Oh wow yeah his rig is sick!
Thank you both for the compliment, like always, it is a never ending project. Just stepped up to Falken Wildpeak MT in 37x12.5r17 and Carli control arms over the weekend.

As for the original poster, great choice, the 3rd gen Dodge is a great platform but as you already know the Hemi is a thirsty motor. You mentioned looking at the Icon stuff, and don't get me wrong, Icon makes some great stuff, but I am not super impressed with their Dodge offerings. I would take a closer look at Carli or Thuren, either one is top notch stuff, you can mix and match for great results, and of course you can do it in steps to help the wallet.

Reactions: BAMsRAM