Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hey all,

Just a quick note to let you guys know we are very close to putting the Alpha .9 Forums in your hands. It is fully functional now and we are addressing bugs and polish etc. Next week or the week after is looking very good.

Rally Point and Resource Map will follow early next year.

M
Thank you so much Michael, Corrie, Kent, and team for all the long hours and hard work. We greatly appreciate it.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I wanted to jump on to 1. Wish you a happy holiday, and 2. Let you know the build will not be a surprise Christmas present in case you are anticipating! The not knowing is the worst. Soon!

All the best to you and yours!

m
Haha! Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I wanted to jump on to 1. Wish you a happy holiday, and 2. Let you know the build will not be a surprise Christmas present in case you are anticipating! The not knowing is the worst. Soon!

All the best to you and yours!

m
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you as well! Thanks for letting us know.

Yota_Sr5

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
cole
Last Name
rochlitz
Member #

Hahaha :D

Here is a quick update!

Weeeeeell I fired the overseas team - now that may sound bad BUT we are in a much better position now. The development is happening domestically and the team is already spun up and making good progress. There are trade-offs. Basically those are cost vs. reliability, and the current team is very reliable. The former team couldn't hit a date, as I am sure you are aware!

Here is a bit of backstory:
Not to go into too much detail, but the previous overseas team over promised and under-delivered. Not what Scotty would do for sure. We reached a breaking point where we just needed to make a change. We were not blind-sided by this, and the domestic team had been spinning up for months - so the transition was as smooth as possible. The good news is that the code from the previous team was quite usable - the're progress and ability to execute predictable was not acceptable.

Progress update:
  • The app is much more robust, and scale-able, and more maintainable. There has been extensive refactoring of some components.
  • Dark mode has been implemented, and we are resolving expected design artifacts with the dark theme.
  • Conversations is complete.
  • Forums are complete, and we are working through bugs
  • Rally Point Create has seen significant progress
I believe last time I said "Weeks not months" for .9 Alpha, and today I am saying, "Weeks not months" given the team changes, and we are still shooting for .9 in your hands before the new year (that will be Forums and Rally Point though I may opt to push out forums without Rally Point).

Glad to answer questions!

M

In the video you can see me poking around - some dark mode issues which we are working out, but getting there!

Is this why my map may not be working?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Any updates?
I talked with @Kent R earlier today (January 8, 2020) about this very subject. Progress is being made. Slow and steady. If it is even half as good as he says it is, it’s going to be a huge game changer for the Overlanding Community.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hello all!

We're ready to let a select few people begin using the .8 Alpha version of Forums and Messaging. We understand this version is not full featured, and you will probably break it in ways we cannot anticipate. That's the point! If you are down for providing feedback and creating detailed and complete bug reports, please add your email address in this form and I will add you to our elite Expedition Pioneers group. You will receive future release updates as well.

There will be further instructions when your build goes live.

Thank you!

M

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello all!

We're ready to let a select few people begin using the .8 Alpha version of Forums and Messaging. We understand this version is not full featured, and you will probably break it in ways we cannot anticipate. That's the point! If you are down for providing feedback and creating detailed and complete bug reports, please add your email address in this form and I will add you to our elite Expedition Pioneers group. You will receive future release updates as well.

Thank you!

M
I just filled out the form Michael
I hope I’m given the chance to brake this software, I mean test it out to its fullest capacity

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Hello all!

Thank you!

M
Exciting times! I've signed up.

Gary

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman
Status
Not open for further replies.