[0.9.0 Discussion] Pre-Release Discussion

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Michael

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Pathfinder II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all! Here is a quick update!

The project is going well. The software is quality driven, not date driven. Here's an update!

The team is making good progress with a couple of builds per week. Version 1.0 consists of the Forums, Rally Point, and the Resource Map. Mapping and Navigation will come in in stages throughout next year. Version 1.0 is divided into two stages, version .9 and version 1.0.

1. Version .9 is the Forums and Rally Point and we are Alpha testing now. Once it is at a point we are happy with it, we will release this to our Alpha Test Group (sign up here: Overland Bound Adventure Platform - Overland Bound). The purpose of the Alpha Test will be to identify and report issues with the software while the development team bug-fixes, and polishes. Alpha version is weeks not months, and will include:
a. Forums:
i. Home Page - Navigation, Member Card and Summary, your personal notifications.
ii. Forum Feed - activity since last visit. Includes "interrupts" in feed (Profile posts, latest member, others)
iii. Browser by category - Category-based Navigation
iv. Full-function create reply
vi. Filters and search
v. Lots of other things that would make this post a design document so I won't list.
b. Rally Point:
i. Base Camp: Local Rally Points, RP Filters, My RPs, RSVPs, Create Rally Point.
ii. Create Rally Point - full-featured
iii. Rally Point Announcements (Details, Attendees, Location (s).

== v.9 Alpha Test Release ==

2. Version 1.0 adds our Member Resource Map, and is a large project. We are targeting this year for Resource Map, wich will include:
a. Members
i. Contact Members.
ii. Map Message
iii. SOS
b. Resources
i. Lots and Lots of extensive resources
c. Trails
1. UGC and Curated trail resources.
d. Rally Points
e. Add Places
f. Rate Places
g. Review Places.

== Beta Release ==

== 1.0 Release ==

This is a run-through of me checking current v.9 Alpha functionality. This has test data on a test development server.
Alpha: The alpha version of a software product is a pre-release early version that is part of a dedicated testing process. Alpha software is software that is not thoroughly tested by the developer before it is released to customers. Alpha software usually contains serious errors; therefore it can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version.

Last edited:

Robert OB 33/48

Mid Europe Member Representative
Founder 500
Supporter

Influencer II

Gaanderen, Rijksweg 190 Gaanderen, The Netherlands
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

That is wonderful news, as I have two major things going on. One in France with hopefully lots of OB members and one in Germany with a lot of Jeep guys and girls.
And it would be super if we could work there and show what OB does.
And, again, another question.
Can it work on a tablet? Android 10.5 inch tablet.
I love to navigate with those. Easy reading, bigger screen means bigger map, better navigation.
So, I hope you say yes to this one as well.

Michael

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Pathfinder II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
That is wonderful news, as I have two major things going on. One in France with hopefully lots of OB members and one in Germany with a lot of Jeep guys and girls.
And it would be super if we could work there and show what OB does.
And, again, another question.
Can it work on a tablet? Android 10.5 inch tablet.
I love to navigate with those. Easy reading, bigger screen means bigger map, better navigation.
So, I hope you say yes to this one as well.
Hey Robert - it will, but the form factor will be mostly phone to start. Next year, when we start to introduce the navigation features we will include tablet and CarPlay options.

Chris Arnesen

Rank V

Influencer II

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham Callsign
KU7PDX
Thank you for the update! I was just thinking about this over the weekend and digging for the latest info but coming up with nothing new. Ready to give it a go!

Reactions: Michael

EricGagne

Rank V

Contributor III

Lachine, Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

I'm looking forward to trying it. Is the app localized or is there plans to make it localizable ( is that a word ?) ? I'd be happy to contribute and make a fr_CA translation that could also serve as a base for a fr_FR one.

Reactions: Pierre C

Robert OB 33/48

Mid Europe Member Representative
Founder 500
Supporter

Influencer II

Gaanderen, Rijksweg 190 Gaanderen, The Netherlands
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hey Robert - it will, but the form factor will be mostly phone to start. Next year, when we start to introduce the navigation features we will include tablet and CarPlay options.
I love that.
By the way, I have bought a special Android phone.
Getnord Lynx,
Ruggedized, waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, Military specs.
And a battery that last for at least 2.5 days.
So, Iam ready to roll.

Pixelsaurus

Rank I

Contributor I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Butcher
Member #

I'm heading across the US from MD to Moab and then to CA in November and then back in December. I am looking forward to testing and while you're not getting to Nav until next year, let me know if this length of a trip helps with anything.

Magic Mike

US West Region Member Rep

Influencer II

Auburn, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YKV
Great new @Michael we have been looking forward to the release of this application. We also look forward to being a part of helping the community with our feedback.... If there is anything else we can do feel free to ask.. Magic Mike

Firemom

Rank V

Traveler I

Auburn, CA, USA
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YKU
Looking forward to test-driving the Alpha version. The final expected functionality of the app is sounding very innovative and user-friendly. It will be nice to have most everything we need for OB and mapping all in one app. Had a great time at Rally Sierras and enjoyed hearing about how the app was coming along.