Status
Not open for further replies.

bdsinclair

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Beaumont, Alberta, Canada
Member #

This is going to be great, ready to test it out in Canada !!! I do have to say that the functionality on a tablet is key, as most of the folks I know do use those for mapping and so on. From 8" to the 10" ones, also mostly use Android as well. Another quick thought is keeping the software lite, or optional add-on pieces as some folks run older tablets and sometimes they have a hard time processing data... That's just my quick 2 cents.

Thank you so much for doing this though !!! Wanted to say Hi at Overland Expo west but you seems really busy and people where all around you. Next time !!

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Car Play? Is there an Android Auto version planned for the 85% of all of the cell phone users in the world?
We will try to address most popular platforms. To my knowledge, there are two major contenders for in-dash display. We'll hit both.

Trail Runner Bowser

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Jacksonville, NC, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Bowers
Member #

@Michael is there tech limitations that can effect the way the Alpha will run already? I ask because I run a Kyocera E6810 which is two years old. It has the most up-to-date software but I know that hardware is usually a limiting factor.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael is there tech limitations that can effect the way the Alpha will run already? I ask because I run a Kyocera E6810 which is two years old. It has the most up-to-date software but I know that hardware is usually a limiting factor.
I will say our philosophy is to develop for innovation, and not to support as many phones as possible. We are going for 80% support of Android and iOS devices. I test on a very old/outdated Android, and it is SLOOOOOOW, but it works. As we begin to push the envelope with 3D visualization next year, there may be a breaking point.

Trail Runner Bowser

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Jacksonville, NC, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Bowers
Member #

I will say our philosophy is to develop for innovation, and not to support as many phones as possible. We are going for 80% support of Android and iOS devices. I test on a very old/outdated Android, and it is SLOOOOOOW, but it works. As we begin to push the envelope with 3D visualization next year, there may be a breaking point.
Sounds good. I just wanted to verify and use it as a great excuse to get a better phone too. :)

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Wi
@Michael Will be testing on Android. Experienced in UAT testing for work. Will we be given list of specific bugs to test for to turn in as well as maneuvering the site randomly and turning in information?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Wi

@Michael Will be testing on Android. Experienced in UAT testing for work. Will we be given list of specific bugs to test for to turn in as well as maneuvering the site randomly and turning in information?
We’ll have instructions for testing focus areas that are pretty broad like “private messaging” and “forum posting” for the first round, and as we get closer to public release that will turn into help regressing specific bugs.

Does that answer your question ok?

M

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

We’ll have instructions for testing focus areas that are pretty broad like “private messaging” and “forum posting” for the first round, and as we get closer to public release that will turn into help regressing specific bugs.

Does that answer your question ok?

M
Great! Yes, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.