“Stinky” the 1997 FZJ80 build

• HTML tutorial

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Christmas in April!! 3 weeks until install will be complete. I think I underestimated the magnitude of this project. Lots and lots of wire! I’ll post pics when the fun begins. I think I got pretty much got everything Baja Designs makes! Can’t wait to see these light the way!!! I’ll hope to have it all done before Overland Expo West next month in Flagstaff, AZ. Just signed up for all my classes. Should be a good time.View attachment 92147
Nice lighting haul...light that baby up like a Christmas tree. Getting ready to do the same to mine.....going to turn night into day.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

We have found jerry can water to be a pain in the butt to access while on the trail. Having to unstrap them and then hoist the 40+ pound beast out of its tightly fit high sitting holder isn’t fun. My wife of 5’3” has to stand on the tailgate to get to them. After searching, we didn’t like the other solutions we had seen. I’m talking about the ones with simple retrofit nozzles or a rubber hose with a valve on the end. Both require can extraction as previously mentioned which was a problem we were hoping to solve. I ordered a camper countertop mounted hand pump and then altered a Sceptor jerry can lid to accommodate the pump. Then, adding an extra step of purity to our quest for easy access clean tasting jerry can water, we mounted an in-line carbon water filter to the apparatus. The entire unit, filter and all, simply screws into the top of the can. We run garden hose water in the cans and the water coming out to the pump tastes great. I wouldn’t recommend using it for pond water, but for general hose or campsite potable water, it’s great. View attachment 80679
Now only if that was coffee.....mmmmm

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Oh...forgot to mention, taking delivery of the KTM 790 Adventure R next month to drag behind my rig to explore the area around various base camps. Having a trailer built, with matching 35’s to tow the new mini-rig behind the big rig! Should be a pretty sick setup.IMG_0551.JPG

Reactions: Chadlyb

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Christmas in April!! 3 weeks until install will be complete. I think I underestimated the magnitude of this project. Lots and lots of wire! I’ll post pics when the fun begins. I think I got pretty much got everything Baja Designs makes! Can’t wait to see these light the way!!! I’ll hope to have it all done before Overland Expo West next month in Flagstaff, AZ. Just signed up for all my classes. Should be a good time.View attachment 92147
Hope to see you there! Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you! I'm in the same boat! :disrelieved: my list keeps growing even though I'm checking things off of it.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Greg who installed my lighting. He did a phenomenal job designing, routing, installing the lights for me. My Bantam couldn’t really handle the amount of lighting we installed, and therefore opted to change over to SwithPro’s simpler switch system. It works flawlessly and easily. I push the labeled big buttons and the correct lights go on. No more computer, no more overloading, no more ghosts in my machine. I highly recommend going with simple. The Baja Designs LP9’s and Squadron’s literally turn night to day. It almost requires sun glasses they’re so bright! The rock lights work really great and are perfect indirect camp lighting. Everything LED. They take no power. I tried running down my house batter with all 26 lamps burning without the engine running for over an hour. Didn’t put a dent in the battery. Though expensive, I’m super happy I bit the bullet. IMG_1501.JPGIMG_0792.JPGIMG_0778.JPGIMG_7433.jpegIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0955.JPG

Attachments

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Like what you have done with your build on your FZJ80. I had a 97’ also, but did sell it, missed it and could not find a nice one reasonably priced. I bought a nice low mile 99’ 4Runner. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us your build and pictures of adventures! Vance.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Like what you have done with your build on your FZJ80. I had a 97’ also, but did sell it, missed it and could not find a nice one reasonably priced. I bought a nice low mile 99’ 4Runner. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us your build and pictures of adventures! Vance.
You bet Vance....I’m really fond of the 97 Landcruiser. Wanted one for years and it wasn’t until I got cancer that kicked some sense in me to go ahead and pull the trigger. I’m really glad I did. The 4Runners are awesome. I like the 99 also. The body style during those years is so much more appealing to me. Nice choice! Do you have pics posted anywhere on the OB pages? Thanks for noticing my build....it’s really been a labor of love.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Found out from the motorcycle dealer I put the deposit down on the KTM 790 Adventure R, that I won’t see one until 2020 sometime. So, I took my name off of the list and pulled the trigger on a new KTM 500 EXC and had it customized to fit me.

Baja Designs Squadron Pro head light! Since the truck is BD’d up, couldn’t see going a different direction on the bike.
Completely rebuilt shocks for my height and weight.
FMF Exhaust.
New gearing for lower end torque.
Cushier/taller seat.
Smaller brake light, rear turn signals and license plate frame. New chain.
Brembo brakes and disc protection.
Bottom skid plate.
Clutch housing skid plate.
New more aggressive dirt tires both front and back.
Full grip hand protection with turn signals.
Custom graphics package.
Turned out really nice. IMG_1609.JPGIMG_1610.JPGIMG_1611.JPG

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Nice build mate. I also own an 80 series, and just finished a year long 'upgrade'. Posted a blog a few days ago.

Reactions: TRED LYT

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Nice build mate. I also own an 80 series, and just finished a year long 'upgrade'. Posted a blog a few days ago.
Where did you post the build? By the way, your HAM handle is awesome!! I play the Ukulele and would love that call sign!!!

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
It's on page 3.

Call sign. hahaha. I hang glide so needed a ham license 30 years ago. That's what they gave me.. :(

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
It’s been over a year since my last post. I have been building a trailer which has taken way longer than I ever expected. It’s coming together and starting to approach “usability”. I’m posting on the build in the trailer build section and need to update there as well. I found out that my rear bumper we too thin walled and weak to tow anything behind it. After looking at the rear bumper closely, instead of trying to retrofit it to handle a receiver, I decided to replace it altogether. Then it looked funny with my giant goofy picnic bench style sliders, so those needed to be replaced as well. So why stop there I asked myself? Turns out the front bumper was too huge and heavy. I liked the look of it, but I knew I could do better functionally. So I ordered new front and rear bumpers and sliders. A thicker gauge steel is much heavier duty and my rear swing is very stout. I also like how sucked up they are giving me much better approach and departure angles. Little did I realize I’d have to take the truck back to Wired By Greg and have him completely relight the truck. All new config and wiring harnesses. Here are some pics which are a bit embarrassing due to their being taken in an Irvine Company parking structure, versus

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Latest mods. Lost a ton of weight. Moving my big Zarges cases to the trailer vs on the roof top, as well as the RTT. I took about 300 lbs off of the roof. The aero factor alone has been awesome.

Attachments

01FJClere

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Ketchikan, Alaska 99901, United States
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Clere
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Really nice rig and some really thoughtful additions too. Just purchased my first LC just over a year ago and finally going to start adding to her. It is the same year and make as yours; although mine is not triple-locked...yet. :yum: I'm glad to see that you had already tested and proven that the rooftop tent is an mpg-killer (the last thing we need, right!). I'll forego that one then, but I am thinking of the Batwing awning. Thanks for sharing and keep it up, please.

Reactions: TRED LYT

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
It's on page 3.

Call sign. hahaha. I hang glide so needed a ham license 30 years ago. That's what they gave me.. :(
Aloha!

I'm super bad at responding to these threads. As you can see....I'm a few years late!! OMG...I'd kill for that HAM handle. I play the uke also....not very well, but I love the instrument. I've been collecting them over the years and now have about 20 of them! It's a disease!!! Thanks for your positive feedback on my rig. It's changes so much since then. It too is a disease. It's almost always in the shop when I'm not using it. Bolting on something new. I think I've rebuilt it now 3 times. Going to post some new mods now. Hope to see you out on the trail one of these days. This is the first time I've logged into OB in a couple of years. I don't understand it very well and am clumsy with navigating it. I saw a video of Michael and his drawer build which inspired me to log in. Thought I'd update folks on some of the recent mods.

Mahalo,

Rich