“Stinky” the 1997 FZJ80 build

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Chadlyb

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Christmas in April!! 3 weeks until install will be complete. I think I underestimated the magnitude of this project. Lots and lots of wire! I’ll post pics when the fun begins. I think I got pretty much got everything Baja Designs makes! Can’t wait to see these light the way!!! I’ll hope to have it all done before Overland Expo West next month in Flagstaff, AZ. Just signed up for all my classes. Should be a good time.View attachment 92147
Nice lighting haul...light that baby up like a Christmas tree. Getting ready to do the same to mine.....going to turn night into day.

Chadlyb

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

We have found jerry can water to be a pain in the butt to access while on the trail. Having to unstrap them and then hoist the 40+ pound beast out of its tightly fit high sitting holder isn’t fun. My wife of 5’3” has to stand on the tailgate to get to them. After searching, we didn’t like the other solutions we had seen. I’m talking about the ones with simple retrofit nozzles or a rubber hose with a valve on the end. Both require can extraction as previously mentioned which was a problem we were hoping to solve. I ordered a camper countertop mounted hand pump and then altered a Sceptor jerry can lid to accommodate the pump. Then, adding an extra step of purity to our quest for easy access clean tasting jerry can water, we mounted an in-line carbon water filter to the apparatus. The entire unit, filter and all, simply screws into the top of the can. We run garden hose water in the cans and the water coming out to the pump tastes great. I wouldn’t recommend using it for pond water, but for general hose or campsite potable water, it’s great. View attachment 80679
Now only if that was coffee.....mmmmm

TRED LYT

Rank VI

Advocate I

Laguna Beach, CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Oh...forgot to mention, taking delivery of the KTM 790 Adventure R next month to drag behind my rig to explore the area around various base camps. Having a trailer built, with matching 35’s to tow the new mini-rig behind the big rig! Should be a pretty sick setup.IMG_0551.JPG

Reactions: Chadlyb

adventure_is_necessary

Rank VI

Influencer III

Emporia, KS
Member #

Christmas in April!! 3 weeks until install will be complete. I think I underestimated the magnitude of this project. Lots and lots of wire! I’ll post pics when the fun begins. I think I got pretty much got everything Baja Designs makes! Can’t wait to see these light the way!!! I’ll hope to have it all done before Overland Expo West next month in Flagstaff, AZ. Just signed up for all my classes. Should be a good time.View attachment 92147
Hope to see you there! Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you! I'm in the same boat! :disrelieved: my list keeps growing even though I'm checking things off of it.

TRED LYT

Rank VI

Advocate I

Laguna Beach, CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Greg who installed my lighting. He did a phenomenal job designing, routing, installing the lights for me. My Bantam couldn’t really handle the amount of lighting we installed, and therefore opted to change over to SwithPro’s simpler switch system. It works flawlessly and easily. I push the labeled big buttons and the correct lights go on. No more computer, no more overloading, no more ghosts in my machine. I highly recommend going with simple. The Baja Designs LP9’s and Squadron’s literally turn night to day. It almost requires sun glasses they’re so bright! The rock lights work really great and are perfect indirect camp lighting. Everything LED. They take no power. I tried running down my house batter with all 26 lamps burning without the engine running for over an hour. Didn’t put a dent in the battery. Though expensive, I’m super happy I bit the bullet. IMG_1501.JPGIMG_0792.JPGIMG_0778.JPGIMG_7433.jpegIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0955.JPG

Attachments

4wheelspulling

NorthWest Region Member Represetative
Staff member

Traveler I

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Like what you have done with your build on your FZJ80. I had a 97’ also, but did sell it, missed it and could not find a nice one reasonably priced. I bought a nice low mile 99’ 4Runner. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us your build and pictures of adventures! Vance.

TRED LYT

Rank VI

Advocate I

Laguna Beach, CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Like what you have done with your build on your FZJ80. I had a 97’ also, but did sell it, missed it and could not find a nice one reasonably priced. I bought a nice low mile 99’ 4Runner. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us your build and pictures of adventures! Vance.
You bet Vance....I’m really fond of the 97 Landcruiser. Wanted one for years and it wasn’t until I got cancer that kicked some sense in me to go ahead and pull the trigger. I’m really glad I did. The 4Runners are awesome. I like the 99 also. The body style during those years is so much more appealing to me. Nice choice! Do you have pics posted anywhere on the OB pages? Thanks for noticing my build....it’s really been a labor of love.

TRED LYT

Rank VI

Advocate I

Laguna Beach, CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Found out from the motorcycle dealer I put the deposit down on the KTM 790 Adventure R, that I won’t see one until 2020 sometime. So, I took my name off of the list and pulled the trigger on a new KTM 500 EXC and had it customized to fit me.

Baja Designs Squadron Pro head light! Since the truck is BD’d up, couldn’t see going a different direction on the bike.
Completely rebuilt shocks for my height and weight.
FMF Exhaust.
New gearing for lower end torque.
Cushier/taller seat.
Smaller brake light, rear turn signals and license plate frame. New chain.
Brembo brakes and disc protection.
Bottom skid plate.
Clutch housing skid plate.
New more aggressive dirt tires both front and back.
Full grip hand protection with turn signals.
Custom graphics package.
Turned out really nice. IMG_1609.JPGIMG_1610.JPGIMG_1611.JPG

Reactions: 4wheelspulling