Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chico, CA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Asher
Member #

Now that we’ve made a few trips with the new gears, it’s a game changer! What an amazing difference. She pulls up big hills without having to over rev the engine...so much mo betta!
Where’d you you get ‘em?

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I dig it! Looking at wrapping mine eventually. Might look at something like this versus a good matte black.
I was moments away from bailing on this design and going with safety matte black too....but I’m happy I didn’t and had fun designing it with the artist!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I’m really excited because the new wheels just arrived yesterday, getting wrapped in brand new BFG KM3’s and being mounted on the truck tomorrow afternoon. Just in time for our 2 week trip into the Southern Arizona desert. I’ll post pics as soon as they’re rollin’!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Where’d you you get ‘em?
Purchased them thru 4Wheel Parts and because I’m only in the learning phase of all this, had American Overland install them for me. I really like the new gears....especially for the longer grade pulls. I have the “Power” button as well which brings in a whole other power band. I don’t remember the brand, but they were highly recommended and on the more expensive side. If you want me to find out the maker, I’m happy to do it for you.

Ashcan80

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chico, CA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Asher
Member #

Purchased them thru 4Wheel Parts and because I’m only in the learning phase of all this, had American Overland install them for me. I really like the new gears....especially for the longer grade pulls. I have the “Power” button as well which brings in a whole other power band. I don’t remember the brand, but they were highly recommended and on the more expensive side. If you want me to find out the maker, I’m happy to do it for you.
I look it up! Thanks.

I have the Power feature too. However, when fully loaded on a grade I’m shifting it down to 2nd and revving 4500 rpm. No bueno in the NorCal summers.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I look it up! Thanks.

I have the Power feature too. However, when fully loaded on a grade I’m shifting it down to 2nd and revving 4500 rpm. No bueno in the NorCal summers.
I was having the same issue down here in the Summer and just hated it. I will say, people still blow by me on my way up, but I’m at 2,700RPMs instead of 4500. Much mo bueno! I’m thinking about some other power mods that I’ve heard are simple fixes. Every little bit helps. Much of the problem I’m having with moving forward has to do with aerodynamics....which I am not. Watching videos of Ronny Dahl down in Aussie, I learned not to expect much above the wind resistance threshold which is right at 55 MPH. So lately, that’s where I set the cruise control and it works great. Just have to get used to driving like grandpa! I’m kinda actually digging it now! Love watching those So Cal Lambo guys come up on me at 100 and have to hit the binders. Even in the slow lane! I get the occasional bird, but I just smile and go on down the road. 2 week trip to AZ next week to go look at ranch property. Will be a fun exploration across the lower desert on my new KM3’s!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
One last comment for the day.... I keep forgetting to give honorable mention to the new wheels too. Method Racing’s new trail model with inner design to act as a quasi bead lock without the need for a conventional bead lock set up. I ordered them from 4Wheel Parts and it took a while because this was only their second order for them. They haven’t picked up steam yet, so we’ll have to see how their claims hold up. Apparently I can air down to 10 PSI and there should be much less likelihood of the tire coming off the rim. Not that I want to test it, but we’ll be in lots of sand, gravel, and wash board roads....so I’m looking forward to seeing how they work at low pressures.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
The limb risers worked like a charm on a recent trip across the Southern Arizona desert. Especially in the washes where brush, mesquite, and other flora was growing across at windshield height. They picked the limbs up and tossed them over the top. Added a bunch of new desert pin striping to her. Doesn’t look so unused any more!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
We needed a small work surface to get things off the tailgate in order to allow the lower drawer and fridge drawer to slide out over the tailgate. We were constantly having to shift things back and forth and wanted a simple solution close by and easy to set up. Hard plastic material cut to size, fits perfectly slid into the back of the jerry can holder. Works like a charm. IMG_0325.JPG

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Just added this storage shelf in back of the rig. To be used for soft goods we need easy and regular access to. Things like jackets, pillows, gloves, etc... Should provide good ventilation for wet gloves and things like that. Found the shelf in gray color to match the interior at Home Depot. They also had caps for the tips of the cross rods which really helped in protecting the headliner from damage. IMG_0323.JPG

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
We have found jerry can water to be a pain in the butt to access while on the trail. Having to unstrap them and then hoist the 40+ pound beast out of its tightly fit high sitting holder isn’t fun. My wife of 5’3” has to stand on the tailgate to get to them. After searching, we didn’t like the other solutions we had seen. I’m talking about the ones with simple retrofit nozzles or a rubber hose with a valve on the end. Both require can extraction as previously mentioned which was a problem we were hoping to solve. I ordered a camper countertop mounted hand pump and then altered a Sceptor jerry can lid to accommodate the pump. Then, adding an extra step of purity to our quest for easy access clean tasting jerry can water, we mounted an in-line carbon water filter to the apparatus. The entire unit, filter and all, simply screws into the top of the can. We run garden hose water in the cans and the water coming out to the pump tastes great. I wouldn’t recommend using it for pond water, but for general hose or campsite potable water, it’s great. IMG_0334.JPG

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Getting ready to start a complete revamp of my lighting system. Switching from HID’s to LED’s. Have a friend who recommended a very good American brand, Baja Designs. I like the old school look of large rounds vs a light bar. 9” rounds like the ones I have on there now....just LED this time. I’ll be running one LP9 spot and one LP9 flood (both ambers) up on the front bumper. With white small floods in the bumper. We’ll add ditch lights tucked up under the side front fender bars. On the upper rack, 4 of the 9” LP9’s in white, 2 floods, 2 spots. On the sides...S2 site lighting, one red, one white, on either side of the roof rack. On the back, their new tail light bar with running lights, bright brake lights, Amber bright running lights, and a center white light for general site lighting or back up lighting. Rock lights on all four corners....White up front, red in the rear on separate switches. Red and white lighting on the tailgate with manual switches and same under the hood. I hear the red lights are awesome for bug reduction at night. After I spec’d it all out with wiring harnesses.....$7k! Now I know it’s a lot of lighting, but I about fell off my chair! I may have to rethink my lighting plan!

Reactions: Jimmy P

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Christmas in April!! 3 weeks until install will be complete. I think I underestimated the magnitude of this project. Lots and lots of wire! I’ll post pics when the fun begins. I think I got pretty much got everything Baja Designs makes! Can’t wait to see these light the way!!! I’ll hope to have it all done before Overland Expo West next month in Flagstaff, AZ. Just signed up for all my classes. Should be a good time.IMG_0652.JPG