Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Custom under roof rack axe mount, rear spare tire swing gate shovel and MaxTrax mounts fabricated and installed by Alex’s team at AOE. Nice job guys!IMG_0652.JPGIMG_0653.JPG

Reactions: Chadlyb

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Installing the new 4.88 gears that just arrived which are a better ratio for the taller tires. I’m hoping this helps with the longer grade hill climbs where my transmission seemed to labor like crazy with the stock 4.11’s. While we have it up on the hoist and apart, we decided to rebuild the front knuckles which should give new life to the front end.
Now that we’ve made a few trips with the new gears, it’s a game changer! What an amazing difference. She pulls up big hills without having to over rev the engine...so much mo betta!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I dropped off my rig 3 weeks ago at Goose Gear to have my floor plate, drawers, and camp kitchen installed. Before I dropped it off, after a discussion with Brett at GG over the phone, I decided on a National Luna 52qt fridge. Thought long and hard about a Dometic and an ARB, but decided after discussing it with Brett. I'm sure the others have great products, but what did it for me was the extra 2 quarts of space and the fact that their cooling plates are in the walls of the fridge vs the floor. I'm told by Brian (owner of GG) that he's tried most of the fridges available and has been really satisfied with the National Luna. So be it, I ordered it. They said it also fits perfectly into their camp kitchen and fills out the space perfectly.

When I dropped off the rig, I asked Brian if they'd go ahead and install the fridge along with all the electrical necessary to get it running properly and safely. He asked if he could look at the electrical under the hood to see my battery set up so he could be familiar with it before he spoke to the electrician Greg. When he opened the hood, his eyes got really big! I told him my Blue Sea ML-ACR wasn't operating properly. He reached under and found the main wire was completely loose and almost detached...a hot wire mind you. The more he looked, he asked that I not drive the rig any more and if it was ok to unhook the electrical. After Greg got under the hood, they were all amazed that my rig didn't burn to the ground on my last trip up the Coast of CA to Big Sur!

Below are some shots of what they came up with for the electrical. I'm super stoked and mostly grateful for the guys at Goose Gear for finding what could have been a disaster before it happened! Thanks guys...for saving not only my rig, but my family, potentially another forest or wilderness area, communities, etc... In light of the recent fires here in CA, I cannot thank you enough!!!IMG_0735.JPG IMG_0736.JPG

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I dropped off my rig 3 weeks ago at Goose Gear to have my floor plate, drawers, and camp kitchen installed. Before I dropped it off, after a discussion with Brett at GG over the phone, I decided on a National Luna 52qt fridge. Thought long and hard about a Dometic and an ARB, but decided after discussing it with Brett. I'm sure the others have great products, but what did it for me was the extra 2 quarts of space and the fact that their cooling plates are in the walls of the fridge vs the floor. I'm told by Brian (owner of GG) that he's tried most of the fridges available and has been really satisfied with the National Luna. So be it, I ordered it. They said it also fits perfectly into their camp kitchen and fills out the space perfectly.

When I dropped off the rig, I asked Brian if they'd go ahead and install the fridge along with all the electrical necessary to get it running properly and safely. He asked if he could look at the electrical under the hood to see my battery set up so he could be familiar with it before he spoke to the electrician Greg. When he opened the hood, his eyes got really big! I told him my Blue Sea ML-ACR wasn't operating properly. He reached under and found the main wire was completely loose and almost detached...a hot wire mind you. The more he looked, he asked that I not drive the rig any more and if it was ok to unhook the electrical. After Greg got under the hood, they were all amazed that my rig didn't burn to the ground on my last trip up the Coast of CA to Big Sur!

Below are some shots of what they came up with for the electrical. I'm super stoked and mostly grateful for the guys at Goose Gear for finding what could have been a disaster before it happened! Thanks guys...for saving not only my rig, but my family, potentially another forest or wilderness area, communities, etc... In light of the recent fires here in CA, I cannot thank you enough!!!View attachment 75619 View attachment 75620
Glad to hear it was a happy ending story....after watching coyoteworks burn his Rubicon to the ground in the middle of fire season. Nice for something in the preventive area. Goose gear rocks.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I forgot to mention, in my previous set up, there wasn't a single circuit breaker. Everything was hard wired into their respective devices. I now have Blue Sea circuit breakers...6 of them, going to each critical electrical section of the truck. If I need to cut power to any area, it's as easy as pushing a button. Greg told me the wiring I had, was akin to a "Welding Cable"...that if it started to burn, nothing would put it out. I had several wires that were partially melted and on major cable with the plastic bubbling!!! If you look closely at the picture above, you can see that the battery positive was mounted outward toward the body work. You can see where it arc'd against the bodywork. You can see where it looks like a rodent chewed on the edge of the steel....I can assure you, it wasn't a rodent! It was my battery positive pole touching that side and arcing! I am so lucky......

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Glad to hear it was a happy ending story....after watching coyoteworks burn his Rubicon to the ground in the middle of fire season. Nice for something in the preventive area. Goose gear rocks.
My wife and I watched that video and for the first time, she's completely supportive of what it cost to fix it!!!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Now for the pretty stuff. Check out the new Goose Gear set up. I'm super happy with its functionality and can't wait to load up the drawers!! Since I got a new Skottle from Tembo Tusk before Jerry left for Overland East last week, I'm not going to install a stove in the pull out underneath the fridge, but instead, have Goose Gear make me another drawer box for things like utensils, spices, and small items for the kitchen. Do any of you have ideas for organizing the drawers? I've seen some pretty cool organizers, but I never seem to remember the names of the systems. Penny for your thoughts......IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0743.JPG

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Right before she went in to be outfitted by Goose Gear, I also received my new aluminum cases from Zarges USA. These cases are awesome!!! Heavy duty and light as hell. So many sizes, I was able to order 2 cases that fit perfectly into my roof rack in front of RTT. Should save some wear and tear on the RTT cover and in turn, the tent itself. 23" X 23" X 16" Spring loaded handles, locking latches, and bear proof! They're made in Germany and have a US distributor in NC. If you're looking for high quality cases, give this a look. I don't think you'll be disappointed. IMG_0731.JPG

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Now for the pretty stuff. Check out the new Goose Gear set up. I'm super happy with its functionality and can't wait to load up the drawers!! Since I got a new Skottle from Tembo Tusk before Jerry left for Overland East last week, I'm not going to install a stove in the pull out underneath the fridge, but instead, have Goose Gear make me another drawer box for things like utensils, spices, and small items for the kitchen. Do any of you have ideas for organizing the drawers? I've seen some pretty cool organizers, but I never seem to remember the names of the systems. Penny for your thoughts......View attachment 75621 View attachment 75622 View attachment 75623 View attachment 75624
Right before she went in to be outfitted by Goose Gear, I also received my new aluminum cases from Zarges USA. These cases are awesome!!! Heavy duty and light as hell. So many sizes, I was able to order 2 cases that fit perfectly into my roof rack in front of RTT. Should save some wear and tear on the RTT cover and in turn, the tent itself. 23" X 23" X 16" Spring loaded handles, locking latches, and bear proof! They're made in Germany and have a US distributor in NC. If you're looking for high quality cases, give this a look. I don't think you'll be disappointed. View attachment 75626
Great gear...love their stuff. Very nice setup..images (4).jpg

Reactions: TRED LYT

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Greg the electrician and avid Overland himself, is suggesting that I tear off my HID light system and replace them with Baja Designs LP9 series lights. Amber on the roof to cut through glare from dust. White spots up front. Pilar lights for spotting difficult terrain to the side of my rig at night. Also, rock lights to illuminate for my cameras front and rear. With a complete revamp of my lighting (expensive as heck), they'll all run with less energy than one of my HID's!! I'm thinking it's going to cost an arm and a leg, but I'm sure it will come in handy on our long trip North and South.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Great gear...love their stuff. Very nice setup..View attachment 75632
Greg the electrician and avid Overland himself, is suggesting that I tear off my HID light system and replace them with Baja Designs LP9 series lights. Amber on the roof to cut through glare from dust. White spots up front. Pilar lights for spotting difficult terrain to the side of my rig at night. Also, rock lights to illuminate for my cameras front and rear. With a complete revamp of my lighting (expensive as heck), they'll all run with less energy than one of my HID's!! I'm thinking it's going to cost an arm and a leg, but I'm sure it will come in handy on our long trip North and South.
You have a nice setup there! Well thought out, too. I really enjoyed my 97’ FZJ80. I was going to build it up, but decided on something different, my diesel Cherokee. Still miss the Land Cruiser though at times not when I need to buy gas though! Vance.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
You have a nice setup there! Well thought out, too. I really enjoyed my 97’ FZJ80. I was going to build it up, but decided on something different, my diesel Cherokee. Still miss the Land Cruiser though at times not when I need to buy gas though! Vance.
You got that right! Although this last fill up I got a whopping 11.2 miles per gallon which is much better than the 9 I typically get! I watched a Ronnie Dahl video on YouTube and his big tip was to keep the vehicle below the wind resistance level...which in our case is 55MPH. Appears to be working! We’re taking a 2,000 mile trip next month. We’ll really get a chance to see if that 11 is consistent. Thanks for the nice compliment! Rich

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I wanted to cut down on hood glare when driving directly into the desert sun as well as light bounce from the rooftop flood lights....so a matt finish hood wrap seemed like the right solution. Went down to my new friends at Gator Wraps in Laguna Hills, CA to see what might work. After studying many African rigs for so long, I decided on desert tan thinking it’s kind of drab, and less heat absorbing than dark green. I wasn’t very original in that I copied other wraps I have seen by going with a topo map....but I actually chose one from our local mountains in an area we enjoy, so at least it has meaning to us. But the topo by itself was kinda boring. So we improvised a bit and added a couple of graphics. 11 is my lucky number! Here’s what we came up with.....IMG_0010.JPG

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I wanted to cut down on hood glare when driving directly into the desert sun as well as light bounce from the rooftop flood lights....so a matt finish hood wrap seemed like the right solution. Went down to my new friends at Gator Wraps in Laguna Hills, CA to see what might work. After studying many African rigs for so long, I decided on desert tan thinking it’s kind of drab, and less heat absorbing than dark green. I wasn’t very original in that I copied other wraps I have seen by going with a topo map....but I actually chose one from our local mountains in an area we enjoy, so at least it has meaning to us. But the topo by itself was kinda boring. So we improvised a bit and added a couple of graphics. 11 is my lucky number! Here’s what we came up with.....View attachment 76700
I dig it! Looking at wrapping mine eventually. Might look at something like this versus a good matte black.