Zion Overland Adventure

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Hey guys,

I'm planning a camping / off-roading adventure to Zion at the end of April. This will be my first trip to Zion and want to know your suggestions on what places to check out and things I must see while there. I'd like to not camp at your traditional campsite, rather find places that are somewhat off the grid and are accessible via 4x4. All of our vehicles are stock height, have four wheel drive and are equip with all terrain tires, so no crazy rock climbing haha.

Any suggestions and or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Bryan_FRO

Traveler I

Hey guys,

I'm planning a camping / off-roading adventure to Zion at the end of April. This will be my first trip to Zion and want to know your suggestions on what places to check out and things I must see while there. I'd like to not camp at your traditional campsite, rather find places that are somewhat off the grid and are accessible via 4x4. All of our vehicles are stock height, have four wheel drive and are equip with all terrain tires, so no crazy rock climbing haha.

Any suggestions and or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Arturo,
Am planning the same trip later this month and will be my first time. Were you able to find any good spots? Have any route recommendations? Thanks!

Reactions: Heyjt

sngltrak1

Rank I

Contributor III

Check out gooseberry Mesa area. There is a dirt road from Rockville that will take you up to the Mesa, should be passable if not too muddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

I was in this area in May, agree for Zion the Gooseberry Mesa area is a good spot to setup camp in order to access Zion pretty easily, there are also first come first service pay-sites w/in the park but that's about as close as you'll get. If you're heading towards or from Bryce Canyon, there's an area just west of Bryce, turn south on FR 087/East Fork Road towards Coyote Hollow/Tropic Reservoir. There are a ton of river spots, and spot deep within that area. We tried to find direct access to Bryce w/out having to drive around, you can get pretty close, park just outside of the fence/closed road and then hike from there (bit of a hike).

WanderRig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN
Member #

I was in this area in May, agree for Zion the Gooseberry Mesa area is a good spot to setup camp in order to access Zion pretty easily, there are also first come first service pay-sites w/in the park but that's about as close as you'll get. If you're heading towards or from Bryce Canyon, there's an area just west of Bryce, turn south on FR 087/East Fork Road towards Coyote Hollow/Tropic Reservoir. There are a ton of river spots, and spot deep within that area. We tried to find direct access to Bryce w/out having to drive around, you can get pretty close, park just outside of the fence/closed road and then hike from there (bit of a hike).
Good morning - I’m interested in the ‘river spots’ you mentioned in your post. Could you offer a bit more detail of how I could check those out?

Thanks very much!