X-Bull Recovery Tracks...another inexpensive alternative

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

titicaca

Rank 0

Traveler II

Calgary
.. Other than stacking height ...
With respect to stacking one youtube review form the Aussies joked that you can stack 4 MAXTRAX in same spec as one X-BULL - don't think it is that bad.
I want to have them vertically on the spare tail gate tire on stock Wrangler hinges with a Trasharoo over them - I read someone with MAXTRAX say the Trasharoo sits OK or better that way. I 'm thinking of taking fire wood in a Trasharoo to camp, if it stick out too much, for this to be practical, with the extra force of moment on the tail gate - I'm worried - stock hinges after all. How bad is the stacking on the X-BULL?

Last edited:

RainGoat

Rank V

Advocate III

Kirkland, WA
Member #

With respect to stacking one youtube review form the Aussies joked that you can stack 4 MAXTRAX in same spec as one X-BULL - don't think it is that bad.....How bad is the stacking on the X-BULL?
No, stacking, handle comfort & aftermarket expensive mounting systems are where Maxtrax excels.

X-Bull
Stacked 8.25”(4)
4.25”(2)

Unquestionably, you need Maxtrax if you need low profile. They are the best equipment for sure, it’s just a massive premium to pay. (I’ve already bought 4 pair of X-Bull or equivalent but only paid $240 Total ($65 x2 + $55 x2) - I wouldn’t be buying Maxtrax for friends & family with such abandon). Maxtrax means you need to think about it, at $55-65/pair, no one should be off-road without at least a pair of X-Bulls (they also have a cheap bag that the once in a blue moon user can use to just throw them in the cargo area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

Baipin

Rank IV

Contributor III

Has anyone tried either of these recovery boards?

1. Rugcel/Smittybuilt
2. DPT Recovery Ladder

They both seem to be the other inexpensive alternatives to X-BULL. I'm wondering if they'd fare better in cold weather - choice 2 in particular - which is ABS and not nylon like X-BULL/Rugcel/Smittybuilt. I think ABS is more flexible and a bit stronger than nylon? A lot of the negative X-BULL reviews (and personal experience) suggest the cold is their major weakness, which sucks for us Canadians!

Last edited:
Reactions: titicaca

RainGoat

Rank V

Advocate III

Kirkland, WA
Member #

Has anyone tried either of these recovery boards?

1. Rugcel/Smittybuilt
2. DPT Recovery Ladder

They both seem to be the other inexpensive alternatives to X-BULL. I'm wondering if they'd fare better in cold weather - choice 2 in particular - which is ABS and not nylon like X-BULL/Rugcel/Smittybuilt. I think ABS is more flexible and a bit stronger than nylon? A lot of the negative X-BULL reviews (and personal experience) suggest the cold is their major weakness, which sucks for us Canadians!
Those 2nd ones looked cool. I didn’t realize they were a different material. Get them & let us know. They look like a good choice.

Reactions: Baipin

titicaca

Rank 0

Traveler II

Calgary
... I think ABS is more flexible and a bit stronger than nylon? ...
I’m no material engineer, but reading on this topic, looks like ABS plastic (stuff Lego is made from) is not as flexible as nylon. Interesting DPT Recovery made a different choice to others. MAXTRAX being the leader in this, at x3 to x4 the price, is happy with their fiber-reinforced-nylon formula. But, good to see more competition, and early days, in this space, I feel.

I’m think this could be a fun and expensive test on a cold winter's day. Not sure if anyone’s YouTube channel revenues would cover it – deliberately break some boards!

Last edited:
Reactions: RainGoat and Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Contributor III

I’m no material engineer, but reading on this topic, looks like ABS plastic (stuff Lego is made from) is not as flexible as nylon. Interesting DPT Recovery made a different choice to others. MAXTRAX being the leader in this, at x3 to x4 the price, is happy with their fiber-reinforced-nylon formula. But, good to see more competition, and early days, in this space, I feel.

I’m think this could be a fun and expensive test on a cold winter's day. Not sure if anyone’s YouTube channel revenues would cover it – deliberately break some boards!
No material engineer here either, but looks like you might be right - ABS is more flexible than Nylon, but also much harder.

Aside from working better in the cold, this seems to be a worse choice than Nylon.
EDIT: might actually be a better choice... I read the graph wrong at first.

A couple other more expensive choices:

3. Liteway ($82)(Nylon)
4. MAXSA ($150)(Polypropylene)
5. TRED 800 ($136)(Polyolefin)

Last edited: