Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Not sure if anyone has watched this yet but Michael Sanders (an Aussie overlander) does a side by side comparison of the maxtraxx vs X-bull. He does a very honest review and after watching it I’m probably going to order a set of the x-bull. I’ll post link below to video.

]
I was coming in to post this video. lol

Well I finally got to use my Maxsa boards yesterday and they worked perfectly once got them positioned correctly. No damage from the heavy diesel rig either despite a little wheelspin.

He started rolling before I was ready to video but you get the point. I started filming after he had already crawled on top of the board. No additional digging took place between the 2 clips. I just shoved the left board a little further under the tire.

ob4838

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah
Member #

Not sure if anyone has watched this yet but Michael Sanders (an Aussie overlander) does a side by side comparison of the maxtraxx vs X-bull. He does a very honest review and after watching it I’m probably going to order a set of the x-bull. I’ll post link below to video.

I have the x bull and have used them in the snow, t4r and a suburban. Worked just fine yes they do not stack as well as maxtraxx but I’m ok with that. I will probably get a second set as well.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force

This was the best comparison yet. Aussies know how to really get the most out of their boards. The jack part of the test was the hardest and probably the most useful for me, although the bridge method was cool, too. I think that for the price you really can't beat the XBull's.

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
That review by the Aussie - Michael Sanders - was very interesting. One thing that the Aussie couldn’t compare is how the X-BULL handle in snow and very cold temperatures for us who are in Northern winter wonderland. I noticed in the video the X-BULL was a lot stiffer than the MAXTRAX and I wonder if in cold temperatures the X-BULL will become too brittle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody_Gorsuch

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

That review by the Aussie - Michael Sanders - was very interesting. On thing that the Aussie couldn’t compare is how the X-BULL handle in snow and very cold temperatures for us who are in Northern winter wonderland. I noticed in the video the X-BULL was a lot stiffer than the MAXTARX and I wonder if in cold temperatures the X-BULL will become too brittle.
Canadian here! I've used them in muddy snow several times. They're bolted to the roof of my Forester all the time. I'm not sure what plastic they used, but it seems to be holding up well - it's not the same as Maxtrax's fiber-reinforced nylon though. I have heard a couple stories of them breaking in -30 conditions, but only after a few uses. Overall, they're well worth the money - no cracking, no UV damage, no permanent deformation.

Reactions: ob4838 and RainGoat

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Canadian here! I've used them in muddy snow several times. They're bolted to the roof of my Forester all the time. I'm not sure what plastic they used, but it seems to be holding up well - it's not the same as Maxtrax's fiber-reinforced nylon though. I have heard a couple stories of them breaking in -30 conditions, but only after a few uses. Overall, they're well worth the money - no cracking, no UV damage, no permanent deformation.
To me that’s worth it. Never does it get thattttt cold here and if it is chances are I’m not out on back roads.

RigidYota

Rank 0

Contributor I

Where did you order them from, eBay?

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Cheapest I’ve seen with shipping to Canada is 200$ :(
Yeah, Cremona AB looks like you’re a little logistically challenged for a US pickup. If you head down to the Missoula area sometime I know someone there who might be able to be a shipping location. +$200 is crazy. Given that alot of that stuff comes from China into Vancouver it’s surprising there’s that much cost. Is that true of most eBay stuff for you?

RigidYota

Rank 0

Contributor I

Yeah, Cremona AB looks like you’re a little logistically challenged for a US pickup. If you head down to the Missoula area sometime I know someone there who might be able to be a shipping location. +$200 is crazy. Given that alot of that stuff comes from China into Vancouver it’s surprising there’s that much cost. Is that true of most eBay stuff for you?
Ya, to the point where I rarely look at eBay anymore. When I lived in Montreal a quick drive to the border was easy but now it’s a full day trip on my not so efficient gas machine haha. May try and time it with a trip down that way and make it work that way. I was just in Yellowstone a couple months back too... should have timed it better. May check in with some friends locally I wheel with too and see if any of them are heading down. Would love some traction boards. They seem so useful!

Reactions: TerryD and RainGoat

CoastieMo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pensacola, Florida, United States
First Name
Tristan
Last Name
McMorran
Member #

Saw that same video and was having exact same thoughts. Glad to hear they handle relatively well for the price.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Saw that same video and was having exact same thoughts. Glad to hear they handle relatively well for the price.
Except for one of them cracking a month ago. Not sure why that happened. It was pretty cold out and they did have to flex a bit (wasn't expecting anything unreasonable from them though). It should be covered under their warranty, so I'll report back with what happens...

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

For what it’s worth, I know somebody who runs 4 X-Bulls. He reports he’s broken them & he broke his original Maxtrax. Other than stacking height, he found the performance essentially the same, certainly close enough to not pay 3-4x the price for Maxtrax.

BTW, I recently bought 2 pair for $55 per pair on eBay. The price on eBay is very cyclical. If you watch for a month or two, it always drops down into the $60s. I’ve now bought 4 pair for family & friends at <$70 & I’m trolling for the blue <$60 again. At those prices, I’ll probably get 2 pair for myself.