• HTML tutorial

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Hello All,

With cold weather approaching it makes it difficult to get outdoors (especially with kiddos). This year I am considering venturing into the world of winter camping. Other than the obvious warm clothes and correct sleeping bag for the temperature. What do you recommend for additional gear to not only survive the night, but have fun doing so?

Rizzo

Rank II

Enthusiast II

White Rock, BC, Canada
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Rissanen
Member #

Winter camping is awesome! Kids will love it especially if you keep them busy with activities. My kids are 16 & 19 now so they don't come as often but did a lot when they were younger. The cool thing is a lot of the memories we talk about are around camping and being outdoors in the wilderness. From my experience there are a few ways you can go. Depending on what your set up is? If you are rolling in a tent I would keep your vehicle close because you can fire it up and get a really good warm up. I would also go to Costco and buy the hand and feet warmers. Put them in the boots, mittens, sleeping bags etc. You can never have to many. Plus is you keep the kids warm and cozy you'll have a better experience. If they get cold and can't warm up it'll be hard to get them out again. You can also get one of those Buddy heaters that run on a little propane can. But you have to be very careful with regards to ventilation! They can be dangerous. Get a lot of fire wood. Buy it if you need
To but get lots. Doesn't just rely on harvesting when your out there. Have back up game plan. I wouldn't venture too far on the first outing either, make sure you can get someone warm quick incase the kiddos get too cold. Anyway, just go out and have fun in the snow you'll be glad you did. Cheers!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Remington_PRO4X

I did the whole Klondike camping thing when I was a boyscout. Lots of fun, sleeping in a snow cave, making a leanto and sleeping in a treewell...

I'll second the vote for the hand and feet warmers, although with a warning due to your kiddos. These packs are activated by the air. I open them up wave them a round a bit till they start getting warm then put back int eh opened package. They last longer this way and are less likely to get too hot. Never let the kids put them inside a sock or glove without something between the heat pack and their skin.

Good base layers (Costco has the "32 Heat" ones again this year which I like better than Under Armor and the price is a lot more reasonable when outfitting kids who'll grow out of them by next year.) For adults in your party check out WSI sports and their HeatR base layers and cold weather gear. These folks have great service and make their products in the USA. I have a few of their garments now and really love their performance.

To keep the kids (or yourselves) warm at night I suggest making a sleeping bag wrap out of Mylar Foil BubbleWrap insulation. You can get it at some home centers or online in large rolls. Basically make a sleeve that will hold the sleeper and their bag, duct tape the seams. This stuff is fairly flexible and keeps heat in very well. I've also seen folks with overboots, and slippers that use this stuff. I have a sleeve that I put inside of my hoodie pocket to warm my hands and camera batteries when I'm out in the cold.

Boort

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Winter camping is awesome! Kids will love it especially if you keep them busy with activities. My kids are 16 & 19 now so they don't come as often but did a lot when they were younger. The cool thing is a lot of the memories we talk about are around camping and being outdoors in the wilderness. From my experience there are a few ways you can go. Depending on what your set up is? If you are rolling in a tent I would keep your vehicle close because you can fire it up and get a really good warm up. I would also go to Costco and buy the hand and feet warmers. Put them in the boots, mittens, sleeping bags etc. You can never have to many. Plus is you keep the kids warm and cozy you'll have a better experience. If they get cold and can't warm up it'll be hard to get them out again. You can also get one of those Buddy heaters that run on a little propane can. But you have to be very careful with regards to ventilation! They can be dangerous. Get a lot of fire wood. Buy it if you need
To but get lots. Doesn't just rely on harvesting when your out there. Have back up game plan. I wouldn't venture too far on the first outing either, make sure you can get someone warm quick incase the kiddos get too cold. Anyway, just go out and have fun in the snow you'll be glad you did. Cheers!
Excellent!!! Thanks for all of the tips! The buddy heater seems like a pretty good idea! The hand and feet warmers were definitely on my list. Have used them for years snowboarding!

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

@Remington_PRO4X

I did the whole Klondike camping thing when I was a boyscout. Lots of fun, sleeping in a snow cave, making a leanto and sleeping in a treewell...

I'll second the vote for the hand and feet warmers, although with a warning due to your kiddos. These packs are activated by the air. I open them up wave them a round a bit till they start getting warm then put back int eh opened package. They last longer this way and are less likely to get too hot. Never let the kids put them inside a sock or glove without something between the heat pack and their skin.

Good base layers (Costco has the "32 Heat" ones again this year which I like better than Under Armor and the price is a lot more reasonable when outfitting kids who'll grow out of them by next year.) For adults in your party check out WSI sports and their HeatR base layers and cold weather gear. These folks have great service and make their products in the USA. I have a few of their garments now and really love their performance.

To keep the kids (or yourselves) warm at night I suggest making a sleeping bag wrap out of Mylar Foil BubbleWrap insulation. You can get it at some home centers or online in large rolls. Basically make a sleeve that will hold the sleeper and their bag, duct tape the seams. This stuff is fairly flexible and keeps heat in very well. I've also seen folks with overboots, and slippers that use this stuff. I have a sleeve that I put inside of my hoodie pocket to warm my hands and camera batteries when I'm out in the cold.
Very cool idea. I hadn't thought about creating a sleeping bag wrap. That a great idea. It would probably help shield you from the ground as well. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Remington_PRO4X

Very cool idea. I hadn't thought about creating a sleeping bag wrap. That a great idea. It would probably help shield you from the ground as well. Thanks for the tips!
It does help with shielding form the ground, more so if you can put a closed cell foam pad inside of it (like a ridge-rest or therma-rest) You'll want to keep snow from getting in between the wrap and the bag as it will melt and wet the bag. (as an adult I've used gaffers tape to close the top of the wrap to the sleeping bag.)

Stay out, Stay warm, and enjoy the winter :D
Boort

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

@Remington_PRO4X

It does help with shielding form the ground, more so if you can put a closed cell foam pad inside of it (like a ridge-rest or therma-rest) You'll want to keep snow from getting in between the wrap and the bag as it will melt and wet the bag. (as an adult I've used gaffers tape to close the top of the wrap to the sleeping bag.)

Boort
Maybe I will do my first outing in the backyard to get everything in order!

Reactions: ArmyofMike

crrockwell14

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portsmouth RI
Member #

I highly recommend the inclusion of snowshoes in your gear, as they can be used in emergencies and for general transportation! They also make for a fun way to hike. I keep three winter bags in my Jeep, one holding my snowshoes, one holding my ice fishing gear and the third holding my emergency snow gear. Seeing as how it is winter when I have all of this stuff, it is already added to the winter clothing I am already undoubtedly wearing. Another good thing to include is sand for both the additional weight, and therefore traction, and because it can be used to extricate the vehicle from snow or ice.

I normally have at least a hatchet and folding shovel in the vehicle, along with an emergency blanket and mummy bag, but if you do not already have that stuff, it is definitely useful to include.

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

I highly recommend the inclusion of snowshoes in your gear, as they can be used in emergencies and for general transportation! They also make for a fun way to hike. I keep three winter bags in my Jeep, one holding my snowshoes, one holding my ice fishing gear and the third holding my emergency snow gear. Seeing as how it is winter when I have all of this stuff, it is already added to the winter clothing I am already undoubtedly wearing. Another good thing to include is sand for both the additional weight, and therefore traction, and because it can be used to extricate the vehicle from snow or ice.

I normally have at least a hatchet and folding shovel in the vehicle, along with an emergency blanket and mummy bag, but if you do not already have that stuff, it is definitely useful to include.
I like to keep sand in the bed of my truck during winter as well. Helps out with traction and has the benefit of helping in an emergency. I keep a folding shovel under my rear seat year round. You never know when you'll need a shovel.

Reactions: crrockwell14

crrockwell14

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portsmouth RI
Member #

One of the interesting sets of gear that I keep in my WJ is my foulies, my foul weather gear, in case I ever find myself out at sea, along with my scuba gear, in case I get the inclination to go underwater. I have used both sets of gear on the same day, without prior planning, because I happened upon the right place at the right time. Semper paratus, my friend, it'll take you places you never thought you might go that morning.

Reactions: Remington_PRO4X

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i alsi try and keep some hot drink available all the time. hot water for hot chocolate or a hot apple cider going. just a covered pot keeping warm on the fire. spiced rum goes well in hot apple cider, i've heard.

when stopping work or between activities, its awesome to have a drink basically ready.

also i bring a hot water bottle. boiling water will melt it, so be careful. toss it in the sleepibg bag for mega comfort.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Having a sleeping pad/mattress with a good R-value and reflective properties help a bit with staying warm, as well as stuffing my next days clothes in my bag with a hand warmer at the foot of the bag. Stocking hat on while in the bag helps as well. Other than that, it's solely dependent upon your sleeping situation. If I'm tent camping, I tend to cover my bag with a rain jacket to avoid the condensation from being absorbed by my bag. Generally, I also set up my tent near a natural wind block or my vehicle, sometimes with a tarp over it for further wind/condensation protection. Since I sleep in the back of my rig, I can usually keep fairly warm and comfortable. Been considering making some window panels made out of some sort of insulated material to help with more heat retention and the obvious curtain effect. Having a solid base camp is another key to a good winter camp experience. awnings with sides for wind block help, fire pit, hot drinks, hot food, and whatever else to make the experience as enjoyable as possible.

Waino

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle
Member #

We are a big fan of the propane fire bowls (Outland Firebowl). Creates a lot of heat quickly. Easier and faster than a campfire. Great to way to keep warm in the morning before the campfire gets going. Plus - they are the only campfire option during burn bans in the summer.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

One of the toughest parts of winter camping is getting in and out of bed. It’s no fun climbing into a cold bed and no one wants to get out of a warm bed on a cold morning. Having a portable heater that is safe indoors can go a long way to making that easier. Run the heater for a few minutes at night to warm up the tent before climbing into bed. And keep the heater close so you can turn it on in the morning to take the edge off a cold morning.

AD9A02EB-A042-4506-A606-21C214ECC1DC.jpeg

Reactions: ob4838

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

@Remington_PRO4X

Many good tips mentioned so far. With children especially have a set of warm fuzzies sweats or polar fleece shirts and pants, socks, and stocking caps, used just for night wear. A regular foam pad does not work, for sleeping on. You do need a good closed cell pad, that does not fully compress under you while sleeping. If you have the insulation under you and on top, plus dry warm clothes, goes a long way in keeping warm at night.

Learning how to make a proper snow cave is a fun and could even save your life some day. If you slope the roof of the snow cave, you can even keep warm and not have any drips with a simple smokeless candle. Have some snow shoes to hike and learn how to use is fun also. Make sure all children use the "buddy system" and never go off some place alone! If you get stuck, and can't get out, stay with your vehicle. It will be the easiest way for help to spot and find you the soonest. You did tell someone where you were going and when you should be back, right? Benz.

Boort

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
One of the best advantages of winter camping is the lack of the crowds.
Staying warm and dry is first and foremost, during the day and night.
Dress in layers and know when to shed and don those layers.
Nighttime insulation between you and the ground and then a bag rated for the temps you're camping in.
Use of a liner and cover can allow you to camp in temperatures below the rating of your bag.
Cooking is different because not all fuel will work in single digit temps.
Be safe and be prepared.

Reactions: Boort