• HTML tutorial

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

just make sure they can handle the amp load going through. Last thing you want to do out on a trail is melt that connector and have a winch that will no longer work

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

True. I think the ones i have are only rated to 100amps, so I'd want to get better ones when I do it.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

like i mentioned before, some winches can and will draw upwards of 400 amps on a hard pull. thats why very few people put in circuit protections.

if you take care in routing your wires and securing them, you shouldnt have any issues with shorts.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

In terms of the winch rating, what I've always been told is to take your vehicle weight and add 50% to be sure you will have a winch that can pull up a steep slope or get you out of a bog hole without overheating or getting damaged.

Also look at winch speed and water protection. A slow-pulling winch isn't necessarily more powerful and might not run cooler than a more expensive faster winch. With where winches get mounted, it is going to get wet, dusty, and probably submerged, so I would carefully look at weather and waterproofing.

I plan to make my winch removable so I don't have the extra weight up front and to protect the winch from being exposed to the elements (salt, dust, etc) when it isn't in use.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

Thays why I'm running a smittybilt x20 winch. Waterproof out of the box, amd made to be run while submerged

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Looks a lot like the one sold at harbor freight, both made in China. Compare the details. Sorry, that's all I know.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Harbor Freight (Badlands winch) is rebaged into a lot of other "off brands"

Fieldnstreamer

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

I used my Smitty x2o 10k wireless for the first time yesterday when the inlaws got buried pretty bad in my yard.
I had never wired up my winch but just had the cable rolled up and zip tied behind my bumper, but when their 4 door F250 got a little too far off my driveway in the pouring rain we've been having, they just slid down the hill and went hub deep :( that heavy thing was dead in the water and was no help on its own. So in the pouring rain I pulled into the garage and hooked up the hot cable....would have thought there would have been a Neg cable but theres not....and gave it a quick test before going out and hooking up. I had to tie off my hitch to a large oak because it was trying to pull my 2000 Tundra off the hill with it. It was about a 70' pull up hill with a ton of deep suction mud on their tires, but I was pretty happy with how the winch worked. Their truck was probably 3k lbs heavier than my truck once you factor in their loooong wheel base and camper top full of christmas presents lol. I had my truck running the whole time and it would dim the headlights when I started pulling. I eventually want to get a stronger battery and probably do a dual battery setup plus a bigger atlernator.

Reactions: DoggMan1163

Fieldnstreamer

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

@stringtwelve Yea I was in debate over syn or cable. At the time of purchase I was trying to get out as cheap as possible because I had money going a hundred other places so I went with the cable and on eBay it was $399, but if and/or when my cable needs replaced I may rethread it with syn...dont know yet. I always like having more than enough and I may upgrade to a 12k one day if I keep having to pull people out who weight 50% more than me haha.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

jordanbrooks How are you planning on mounting the winch on your WJ?
I am trying to decided between the hidden winch mount that goes behind the stock bumper or if i will go with a steel bumper with winch mount integrated. Since I kinda like the "sleeper" look I may go with the hidden mount.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I am trying to decided between the hidden winch mount that goes behind the stock bumper or if i will go with a steel bumper with winch mount integrated. Since I kinda like the "sleeper" look I may go with the hidden mount.
I have just about talked myself into the Hanson. Might even order it for my birthday in a few days...