Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

Born in Lidingö Sweden, went to school in West San Jose, now live in Hollister.

Attachments

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Just getting started with overlanding. Originally from Canada (Northern B.C.) But been in the S.F. Bay Area for 20yrs now.

My Rig: 2021 4Runner Venture. Only "mods" so far are a OffRoadingGear awning and a Packasport cargo box (too big; considering other roof cargo options).

This photo is from a recent trip to Idaho:

My 4Runner.png

Reactions: Jeepinit and cug

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Nice car – at least you got it out of California for a trip ... we've been "confined" (due to time constraints) to mostly local trips.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

For those of us close to SF would you all be up for a local meetup? If so what day works for everyone

Reactions: 100ideas

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Sorta from the Bay Area... spend more time here than home. Home was NorCal (Lincoln, CA) but just moved to Vegas. I still work in Palo Alto though, and keep an apartment here. As such, my Overland stuff is here since it's something for me to do on the weekends I can't go home.

LT3.jpg
20210620_131851.jpg

-TJ

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Sorta from the Bay Area... spend more time here than home. Home was NorCal (Lincoln, CA) but just moved to Vegas. I still work in Palo Alto though, and keep an apartment here. As such, my Overland stuff is here since it's something for me to do on the weekends I can't go home.

-TJ
Sweet rig! I'm seeing a bit of nose lift though - might be time for some beefier rear springs ;)

Kris

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Sweet rig! I'm seeing a bit of nose lift though - might be time for some beefier rear springs ;)

Kris
The pic is deceiving just because of the angle I parked at, and IDK if it was the mode my (phone) camera was in, but see how the Jeep's rear tire looks smaller than either the front tire or the trailer tire? Obviously they're all identical. I'm not saying it didn't have any sag, but actually not bad.

I use a tongue-weight scale, and as loaded there it was right around ~340 lbs. I did have a LOT in the back of the Jeep too though, I'm sure another couple hundred lbs (that was on the way out for a week+ trip). That WJ is built to be exceptionally flexy, as well as nice riding for long highway runs. I set it all up before I bought the trailer, so I'm considering a bit stiffer spring but not too much. It actually tows wonderfully in terms of stability, zero sway, no bouncing or chucking, steers and stops very well... but it's lacking in power and cooling system a bit though (fresh 4.7 HO at 265/330 HP/TQ and upgraded cooling, but all together with all the gear and me the combo is pushing 9k lbs).

SP_WJ3.jpg

All tires are in contact with something in this pic, as compared to the WK2 Trailhawk, which loves to carry a tire:
TH2Thumb1.JPG
TH2Thumb2.JPG

-TJ

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

The pic is deceiving just because of the angle I parked at, and IDK if it was the mode my (phone) camera was in, but see how the Jeep's rear tire looks smaller than either the front tire or the trailer tire? Obviously they're all identical. I'm not saying it didn't have any sag, but actually not bad.
Haha, I did notice the tire size after I posted, but hopefully you picked up the "friendly ribbing" tone :)

Thanks for the extra details and pics -- it looks like you've got a very capable platform there. I'm just getting started and figuring out where to take my 4Runner, mod-wise, so it's good to see what other people are doing. The off road trailer option is intriguing - I like the idea of a zero-setup (or near-zero anyway) sleeping system with the ability to detach for a base camp setup..

Kris

RAMf1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Miller
Member #

VirajH2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Rajiv
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Hello from Vacaville. New to overlanding but have been camping for longtime. Born in Fiji so not new to dirt road or 4x4.04 Hummer H2.jpg

Reactions: kwbales