Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I am curious to find out which / how many OB members also has an Arctic Trucks rig.

I have a 2006 Silver Metallic AT37 Arctic Trucks conversion of a Toyota HiLux D-4D D-CAB (Seventh Generation).

Toyota Hilux AT37 Neil.jpg

Volume: 2.4L
Power: 128 HP (HK)
Fuel: Diesel
Transmission / Gearbox: Manual 5-Speed
Layout: Rear-Wheel Drive / Four Wheel Drive
Tires: 37 Inch
Colour: Silver Metallic
Arctic Trucks Conversion: AT37 (From Beginning: 2006) by Arctic Trucks Norway

20287038_1207449606065860_9211801097558771561_o-1024x683.jpg

This is my only vehicle, so it works as both my expedition / overlanding rig, as well as my everyday car.

ICE-2017-6543-1024x612.jpg

I guess its my love of Iceland and Scandinavia, that connected me with Arctic Trucks, although BBC Top Gear did also have a significant influential effect.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/video-jeremy-and-james-drive-north-pole

DSC_0123-1024x681.jpg

Since organising 2 joint Norwegian-British Arctic Trucks Expeditions to Iceland from Norway (www.ice2015.no & www.ice2017.no), I have developed a good sponsorship relationship with Arctic Trucks, which has proven invaluable.

It would be great to hear if there are any more Arctic Trucks OB Members out there.......

So far, I haven't spotted one during my trawl through the OB Forum articles.

Looking forward to your replies....

Reactions: Jimmy P

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I don't... but I can tell you I am pretty jealous! That's one rockin' truck!
Hei

Thanks a lot for your nice reply :)
Glad you like it

It is a very cool truck, and has taken us on many exciting and challenging adventures and expeditions around Scandinavia.
Take a look at our last expedition to Iceland this summer - 6 weeks of exploration (www.ice2017.no).

From the lack of replies so far to this thread, it looks like I am the only OB Member with an Arctic Trucks rig after all.....
Interesting.....

Reactions: Jimmy P

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Interesting to see that no one else (so far) has responded to this tread.

It looks like I may be the only person in OB with an Arctic Trucks rig.

Interesting...........

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Neal, I guess not. They are beautiful vehicles. I’ll be checking them out next year when I’m in Iceland on tour. We’re looking at 3 or 4 weeks. I’ve got a KDJ150 Prado and hope to get some good ideas while we’re there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hei

Thanks for you message.

Sounds like you have an interesting trip planned for next year.
Iceland is a fantastic place to visit - have you been before?

Arctic Trucks are based in Reykjavik, and have a showroom next to their workshop.
Quite often there are a few interesting vehicles outside, which you can take a look around.

There are a lot of "Super Jeeps" in Iceland (Term - not reference to the Jeep Company).
You will certainly gain a lot of inspiration from your time over there.

Take a look at our website / blogs (www.ice2015.no and www.ice2017.no).
There may be some useful tips and information there, that could help your planning.

Hope you have a great trip.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hi Neal, we have not been to Iceland before. I will make it a point to stop by Arctic Trucks for the eye candy and inspiration. I read through the entire ice2017 blog and website last night. What a great resource. I’ll spend some days picking out the gems. I still have to look through 2015. But I have time.

Thanks for posting the details of the trip for others. There is really good info there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

trfkcop

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
First Name
Todd
Last Name
O'Neal
Member #

Great looking truck! I have no need as I am on the East coast of the States. I could have used it while I was in Kosovo working for the U.N. though...

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Published today - Our ICE2017 (www.ice2017.no) Iceland Arctic Trucks Expedition After-movie.

Shows our 2 Arctic Trucks in action around Iceland, during our 6 weeks adventure.

Hope you like it and share the link :)

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I think the AT conversions are more of a Scandinavian thing Neil, and as much as I would love to own one, it's not something I actually need or can afford at this point.

Although I do sometimes wonder what my little suv would look like with an AT conversion.

Casey.Broach

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton SC
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Broach
Member #

I am thinking about getting a fj80 and converting it. I am just wondering if it would work somewhere like Moab?

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I am thinking about getting a fj80 and converting it. I am just wondering if it would work somewhere like Moab?
Hei Casey
Arctic Trucks are designed to cover all terrain - not only severe winter conditions of Iceland, Antarctica & Scandinavia, but also the fair weather rough terrain roads worldwide...
It would certainly work in Moab
But I don't know if Arctic Trucks have a presence in USA, so you may have to convert it via some local / USA operation.
Good Luck with the conversion
Cheers
Neil :)

Viking84

Rank 0

Traveler I

Norway
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread - thought I'd chime in as a fellow Arctic Trucks owner and aspiring overlander :) Just bought myself a barely used 2016 Land Cruiser with an AT35 conversion. Have only tried some mild off roading so far in a gravel pit and around what I assume are some cross country tracks during winter, but I reckon this truck will be a perfect overlanding vehicle :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Q Smith

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Imo, no. Minimal wheel travel, low tire clearance, too wide, too tall, etc, It would "work" but all that effort would he a compromise unless you plan actual Arctic or polar travel.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
IMG_4361.JPG

Not mine personally but the Expeditions7 AT44 Hilux is here in Utah at the Land Cruiser Museum. It has traveled to the South Pole and more recently we crossed the Ice Cap of Greenland (south to north) with it and a AT44 and AT66

Viking84

Rank 0

Traveler I

Norway
Imo, no. Minimal wheel travel, low tire clearance, too wide, too tall, etc, It would "work" but all that effort would he a compromise unless you plan actual Arctic or polar travel.
Would agree with that statement for the larger tire sizes, but the 35" conversion on mine has a 2" lift and great articulation. Not an extreme rock-crawler of course, but no less capable than any other 2" lifted 35" tire setup :) The larger wheel sizes on the other hand retain the 2" suspension lift and do the rest of the lift on the body, so in those cases you are not getting the wheel travel you would expect from a more extreme lift on a solid axle vehicle.