Where to find GPS tracks?

• HTML tutorial

Robb Hendry

Rank I

Contributor II

So, I've been searching a bit for off road GPS tracks and have seen the ones here (which are great but limited) and have looked at Hema Explorer but it seems limited too. does anyone know of a good resourse for looking up and downloading tracks? Preferably California and the west.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
So, I've been searching a bit for off road GPS tracks and have seen the ones here (which are great but limited) and have looked at Hema Explorer but it seems limited too. does anyone know of a good resourse for looking up and downloading tracks? Preferably California and the west.
I need a complete tutorial on how all that works. A couple months ago I got my first GPS (InReach Explorer that connects to my iPad Mini), but I haven't taken the time to learn how to get the most out of it.

Robb Hendry

Rank I

Contributor II

I need a complete tutorial on how all that works. A couple months ago I got my first GPS (InReach Explorer that connects to my iPad Mini), but I haven't taken the time to learn how to get the most out of it.
Well, you can start here in the "overland bound routes: downloadable" section in forums. if you save a route to your hard drive then email it to yourself you can open it in whichever gps mapping service you use. i use Gaia GPS on my iPhone and it's GREAT. Gaia Gps allows you to download maps on your phone and use the tracks for use (even when you have no cellular reception) using GPS. Your GPS on your smartphone works all over the world in all conditions (no cellular needed)

Robb Hendry

Rank I

Contributor II

Well, you can start here in the "overland bound routes: downloadable" section in forums. if you save a route to your hard drive then email it to yourself you can open it in whichever gps mapping service you use. i use Gaia GPS on my iPhone and it's GREAT. Gaia Gps allows you to download maps on your phone and use the tracks for use (even when you have no cellular reception) using GPS. Your GPS on your smartphone works all over the world in all conditions (no cellular needed)
The iPad mini needs to have gps to work.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I'm using DeLorme's Earthmate App on the iPad. That does what Gaia does, right?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'm using DeLorme's Earthmate App on the iPad. That does what Gaia does, right?
Yes and no. Delorme can plot waypoints and create tracks. I believe you can import tracks as well but I have never done it. Gaia offers a lot more map options and other features. Earthmate maps for large areas are easy to download but I find downloading the forest service maps to a lot less convenient than Gaia.

Now for the original question. Finding tracks.
TrailsOffroad.com

FunTreks books and free downloads of waypoints for tracks they have written about.

GaiaGps.com and HemaExplorer but searching does not work well. More of a repository for tracks that people like me will store, share, and reference with others.

http://gpsxchange.com is good but you have to upload at least one track in order to be able to download something.

Look for trip reports here, Expedition Portal, ih8mud, etc where people share tracks along with their reports.

TrailDamage..com

Ok that should keep you busy. :)

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I think the point of the iPads bluetooth connection with the InReach is that you're using the InReach GPS. No?
If you don't have a iPad with 3G then you do need an external GPS. In your case your Delorme serves that purpose.

Reactions: OverlandHansen

JKUOverland

Rank 0

Contributor I

Super confused: Can someone let know if .gbd(which a Garmin thing) and .gpx(which is a GAIA thing) interchangeable. I want to try a track from TAT but its only available in Garmin .gbd. I want something that runs East coast of VA and runs into Western TN.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Super confused: Can someone let know if .gbd(which a Garmin thing) and .gpx(which is a GAIA thing) interchangeable. I want to try a track from TAT but its only available in Garmin .gbd. I want something that runs East coast of VA and runs into Western TN.
See if GPSVisualizer can convert Garmin to GPX.

Reactions: TN_4Runner

Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO
Try trailsoffroad.com; they have ~200 track for CA. Good trail overviews with CA4WD ratings on all the trails.

Reactions: TN_4Runner