What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

nelsoncycles

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH
Member #

Drove to Cleveland and back from Columbus

Highway MPG @ 15.2MPG

Trooper with roof basket 33'' tires (285 75 16)
I would have another 500lbs in there if i were going on a remote adventure which usually brings me down to 14mpg range on road.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
We got 17 in our 2010 F-150 going down to Las Vegas, then 10 on the trail for Mojave Road.

In a similar trip in our 1999 4Runner we got 17.5 on the highway with the Sky Box and 14 on the trail through Death Valley.

-M

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
On the road I average between 20-22mpg. On the trail about 14....stock size tires, but upgraded to Toyo Open Country's

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

There are a lot of very low mpg's here chaps, when I convert my figures to US gallons I get 37mpg. I can't help thinking traveling light and slowing the speed down to 60 mph is the right move for me and my fuel bills.
I think there might be an error in the unit conversion on the mpg. Unless there is other factors involved I have no idea how a land rover defender can get 37 mpg (That is only 1 mpg less than my old Honda CRX got). From the factory defenders are rated at 14 mpg city/ 15 mpg highway. I am curious. :)

Last edited:

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I was thinking that myself so I have check the numbers. I get 27 mpg in the winter and 33 mpg in the summer, that is using imperial gallons rather than US gallons. if I am correct 1 imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons what I should have done is multiplied by 0.83 rather than what ever I did, so 33 mpg (imperial) = 27 mpg (US). Can you guess my BSc degree is not in mathematic? I hope I got the maths correct this time.

My Defender 110 is a 2.5l 5 cylinder diesel with a higher geared 5 gear for economy running on standard 235 85 R16 tyres (Cooper ST Maxx). Not a 3.5l V8 petrol land rovers which is probably rated at 14/15 mpg.

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

yep that seems more realistic. I wish there were 4x4 vehicles in the US that go that kind of mileage.

I am hoping for 10 mpg out of my brick willys when its done.

I just used this site to convert:
http://www.calculateme.com/cGasMileage/milespergallon-imperial-to-us.htm
Nice forward controlled Jeep. The Land Rover 101 Forward Control is something similar dating from the 70's , there are a few around converted to campers/rv's, I'd love one but like your truck 10 to 12 mpg. I have no idea if fuel costs are similar UK/US these days, we pay £1.20 per litre.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Gas is about $0.85 per liter or £0.68 per liter the US. So I guess we here in the US don't have it so bad. British equivalent gas price is about $5.60 per us gallon.:worried:

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

yep that seems more realistic. I wish there were 4x4 vehicles in the US that go that kind of mileage.

I am hoping for 10 mpg out of my brick willys when its done.

I just used this site to convert:
http://www.calculateme.com/cGasMileage/milespergallon-imperial-to-us.htm

2015 Ecodiesel RAM crewcab 4x4 with topper...25-30mpg...I have gotten 32mpg going to cincinatti from columbus on more than one occasion!!

my running around town is 24-27...all stock with goodyear silent armour more aggressive style tires..

Attachments

Reactions: VDawg1115

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Hummer H3T Alpha. 4:10 gears and 35" Toyo Mud terrains. 5.3 L V8 motor.
13mpg
Life is to short to have great fuel mileage. Ha ha

Also, I have a tuner kit that plugs into OPD2 port. With that I can tune the engine and transmission, but also adjust tire size to get speedometer reading correctly

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

03 superduty 7.3 4 inch lift 35 toyo at 19mpg highway cruising. Got 13 MPG towing 7k pounds when stock.

The jeep loaded gets 15 mpg freeway cruising and 13.5 in town. Has 3.5 inch lift 35s and 4.56 gears

Miguel Hernandez

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

SANTA CLARA
Member #

My 96 ram big block swamp was getting close to 4mpg before I sold it. 512 gears 1 tons front and rear sitting on 47's, my daily qx4 sitting on 33 stock gearing and under powered with homemade rood rack full size spare. Homemade bumper and skids gets about 12-14 mpg

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

With 4.56 and 35's I get around 15mpg. I can hit 16.9 on long Hwy trips under 70. I have 4.88's waiting to go in and I predict better city mpg but worse hwy.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk