What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

I get about 23 mpg on the highway, and 17 mpg in the city. I do have a steel bumper in the front. Pretty good if you ask me.

CM_USMC707

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Healdsburg, CA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Meza
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I get about 23 mpg on the highway, and 17 mpg in the city. I do have a steel bumper in the front. Pretty good if you ask me.
Is that the gas or diesel model? Wish I had the money to buy one of those new!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mitchapalooza

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maryland
Member #

I'm getting 13-14 mpg in my JK loaded with 35's and 4.1o gears. Re-gearing to 4.56 soon and praying that doesn't make it worse.

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

My 04 tj rubicon got 16 not matter what on 32's with a stick I'd suggest a good maintenance

I'm starting to think I need to replace my AC compressor. I remember that the fuel economy started to take a hit around when the AC noise began (first spring with my Jeep in 2014). Since then it's continued to degrade. I would just replace the compressor clutch but everything I've read says just replace the whole thing to avoid any other failure later on

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

2013 Toyota Tundra crew max V8 5.7L. ARB bumper, 33" bfg ko2's, stock 4.3 gears. 80,000km, towing etc all in I'm at 16mpg average.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Scout

William Harris Jenkins

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor I

Dahlonega, GA
Member #

I get 17 mpg on the highway. I have a 3.0 diesel Grand Cherokee running 3.55 gears with 265 BFG KO2's and I have a wilco tire gate, with two Geri Cans and a full sized spare

CombatMech

Rank I

Contributor II

After reading all these post, I don't feel so bad. Chevy K3500 crew cab, long bed, 6.5 TD, 33 BFG's, 4.10 rear end, I get 17 across the board. The 86 diesel Blazer I had got 17 in town, and averaged 24 on the highway.

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

After reading all these post, I don't feel so bad. Chevy K3500 crew cab, long bed, 6.5 TD, 33 BFG's, 4.10 rear end, I get 17 across the board. The 86 diesel Blazer I had got 17 in town, and averaged 24 on the highway.
There are a lot of very low mpg's here chaps, when I convert my figures to US gallons I get 37mpg. I can't help thinking traveling light and slowing the speed down to 60 mph is the right move for me and my fuel bills.

CombatMech

Rank I

Contributor II

There are a lot of very low mpg's here chaps, when I convert my figures to US gallons I get 37mpg. I can't help thinking traveling light and slowing the speed down to 60 mph is the right move for me and my fuel bills.
I love my truck. Do not really care what I'm getting on fuel consumption. Certainly wouldn't call it "mileage"...... I'm also thinking those of us wrapped up in all of this fun, realize that worrying about such things is useless. Plus, going slow, enjoying the spectacular views we seek is way more important.

37 mpg is darn good......

Reactions: chuckoverland

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

I've owned a truck that got 5mpg lol. It was a 84 k20 lifted 8 inches on 40 inch super swampers and it only had an itty bitty 350. Top speed was 55mph.

My company truck only gets 7.3 mpg. It's also a ford v10 with 20,000lbs behind it

So I'm pretty thrilled about 13mpg [emoji13]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Sorry please don't get me wrong, my comment wasn't meant as a criticism, it was about what works for me. Last summer we did a 3000 mile trip around the Alps, Germany, Austria, Italy , Switzerland and France. I realise 3000 miles may not seem a lot to you guys who live in such a vast and beautiful country, or to those who have driven down through Africa, South America, across Asia or Australia. But for us at least, last years holiday was a major trip. With the price of fuel so high in the UK and much of Europe the cost is something I personally have to factor in to our budget for trips.

I totally agree that our key reasons for overlanding is to enjoy ourselves, visiting places that interest and excite us and I would not attempt to criticise anyone for doing that, so long as it does harm anyone else or the epic places we wish to visit in the process.

I also agree that every single one of us love our vehicles, we wouldn't have bought them and spent a time and money to get them to preform as we personally want them to preform if we didn't. Would we? I know I'm not about to swap my LR Defender for a little Hyundai because it does 90 mpg and I suspect no one else here is about to.

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Sorry please don't get me wrong, my comment wasn't meant as a criticism, it was about what works for me. Last summer we did a 3000 mile trip around the Alps, Germany, Austria, Italy , Switzerland and France. I realise 3000 miles may not seem a lot to you guys who live in such a vast and beautiful country, or to those who have driven down through Africa, South America, across Asia or Australia. But for us at least, last years holiday was a major trip. With the price of fuel so high in the UK and much of Europe the cost is something I personally have to factor in to our budget for trips.

I totally agree that our key reasons for overlanding is to enjoy ourselves, visiting places that interest and excite us and I would not attempt to criticise anyone for doing that, so long as it does harm anyone else or the epic places we wish to visit in the process.

I also agree that every single one of us love our vehicles, we wouldn't have bought them and spent a time and money to get them to preform as we personally want them to preform if we didn't. Would we? I know I'm not about to swap my LR Defender for a little Hyundai because it does 90 mpg and I suspect no one else here is about to.
Don't worry man, I didn't take it as criticism. But 13 is the highest I've ever had hahaha.

Off topic, a trip through Europe sounds like a great time

Contributor I

Kosciusko, MS
Member #

I've got an 11 Tacoma dcsb my rtt sits about 8" above the cab so I can still utilize the bed lol 33" exo grapplers and 2" of lift. I have a bully dog gt tuner that I run on tow, that basically from what I can tell just holds the gears a little longer. I get 16mpg back and forth to work on hilly state highway at 60mph. In town I'm lucky to see 12mpg haha anything above 60mph drastically reduces the 16mpg real fast. Trails I'll usually end up seeing anywhere from 9-12mpg.

CombatMech

Rank I

Contributor II

One of the things that I do not like about my truck, no overdrive. It came with a 4L80E. I dont go over 70 in it. I would love to slap a gear vendors OD unit in it, but dang they are really proud of those things. Most of my road trips I avoid major highways and stick to back roads. Which turn out to be more fun anyway. I have yet to go out on any long trail rides yet. I know that at 65-70 on paved roads I can go 400 miles.

Reactions: Jasonb

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

One of the things that I do not like about my truck, no overdrive. It came with a 4L80E. I dont go over 70 in it. I would love to slap a gear vendors OD unit in it, but dang they are really proud of those things. Most of my road trips I avoid major highways and stick to back roads. Which turn out to be more fun anyway. I have yet to go out on any long trail rides yet. I know that at 65-70 on paved roads I can go 400 miles.
4l80s have overdrive. Fourth gear is .67:1 or .7:1 you could just have a deep rear gear

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Homebound

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Belgrade, MN
Member #

I get 11 mpg's unloaded from my '11 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, 4.56 gears 35" tires @70mph. I really wonder how much that will decrease with a few thousand pounds of gear.
I have an 03 RAM 1500 short bed, 2 door cab, 4x4, 5.7 hemi. Not sure of the differential gearing. On stock tires I can get 14-15 mpg. Loaded down I am down around 10-11.

Spurs14

Rank 0

Contributor II

Uk
Hi guys , I know your gallons and uk gallons differ , I'm running a defender 110 2005 model td5 engine and loaded returns around 20 mpg , that's roof tent , fuel , water and a packed load bay !

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

The 4l80e is an overdrive trans, maybe you have the th400?

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 64Trvlr