What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

When that happened to me wgmclain96 it turned out to be the vacum pump on top of the fuel canister. You need to get it into the shop or you will have injector problems over time. I'm surprised you didn't mention that the check engine lite came on. Did it?

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

When that happened to me wgmclain96 it turned out to be the vacum pump on top of the fuel canister. You need to get it into the shop or you will have injector problems over time. I'm surprised you didn't mention that the check engine lite came on. Did it?
No check engine light but I was having misfires a while back. That was traced to heat soak in the injectors and got that sorted out. No CEL though. This mpg issue has been an ongoing issue for around 2 years now. I have a code indicating low oil pressure but that's just due to a faulty oil pressure sensor, been doing it since I've owned it

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: JPStone

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
While driving styles can very greatly on the trial, I am curious about what kind of mileage different rigs were getting going down the highway to the trail. Important factors might be helpful to list as well such as gear ratio, tire size, loaded weight, pulling a trailer, do you have the equivalent of a sail on your roof, etc.

I get 11 mpg's unloaded from my '11 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, 4.56 gears 35" tires @70mph. I really wonder how much that will decrease with a few thousand pounds of gear.
Jesus 11 mpg I get 27 fully loaded 28 downd hill with the wind behind me

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

welp, I feel for you. I know how hard it is to find a good mechanic. I'll confess to not knowing these systems as well as I should. But I can think of two things I would do. There's a product out there called Seafoam. It's 11 bucks a bottle. Run a cpl of those threw. That will take any crap stuck on anyting out. And take it to who you trust best and have a complete smoke test done. Try to find any vacum leaks etc etc.

American Overlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waconia, MN
Member #

My 2008 Sequoia gets 15 on highway loaded with the roof rack and lights causing drag. Around town I'll see 12.5 loaded. With six kids, it's always loaded!

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

welp, I feel for you. I know how hard it is to find a good mechanic. I'll confess to not knowing these systems as well as I should. But I can think of two things I would do. There's a product out there called Seafoam. It's 11 bucks a bottle. Run a cpl of those threw. That will take any crap stuck on anyting out. And take it to who you trust best and have a complete smoke test done. Try to find any vacum leaks etc etc.
Will do, thanks for the info. Out of curiosity would a bad ac compressor clutch have any affect either? Mine has been going bad for about the same time as the mpg loss

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

If it's stuck on and wont disengage, yes. If its not engaging and not pumping , no. But i did that once. Ran all the way home with the ac on and didn't realize it and then said where did my gas go?! The ac was on all the way home.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel, 35 MT's, 3.42 gears- 9000#'s empty!
I average street/hwy right around 15mpg.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
93' Land Cruiser fully built, 33s, stock gears, armor, tent and stuff on the roof. About 6500-7500# I get 13-14 hwy cruising. Trail and around town maybe 9-10.

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

A) 1995 4runner 22re, 31" tires, 4.11 gears, yakima rack with wind faring. Up to 22 hwy, 17-18 city... don't bother calculating trail miles because low range, long idles, hill climbs make it both insanely bad on fuel as well as unpredictable depending on too many factors.
B) 2007 Tundra 4wd 5.7L V8. Overall average of 16MPG. 19hwy, about 12 city. Bare roof with snugtop.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

2005 V10 F450 4x4 w/ Pacific service body and Starcraft poptop camper (weight approx 11,000), 4.88s, 32" tires - 10 MPG city/stop & go, 13 Hwy

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

2003 2500 Suburban 6.0L 10 city 15 hwy and avg 11-12 on 33" K02 and 4.10 gears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Didn't want to post til I had more averaged data, 2010 Hummer H3 Alpha 5.3 V8, 35" KO2s. Highway I usually get 13-15 going ~70mph. City and trail I would say between 10-12. Also notice mpg drops noticeably with RTT on, also drops when using E85 instead of regular gasoline.

Reactions: mitchandbuck

TrailWhale

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynn Center, IL
Member #

Didn't want to post til I had more averaged data, 2010 Hummer H3 Alpha 5.3 V8, 35" KO2s. Highway I usually get 13-15 going ~70mph. City and trail I would say between 10-12. Also notice mpg drops noticeably with RTT on, also drops when using E85 instead of regular gasoline.
Learn something new everyday. Never realized H3's had a V8. How's the power feel with 35's?

Reactions: VDawg1115

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
This is making me feel better seeing other peoples averages. I have been getting 14+ in my 07 power wagon. My truck is 8000lbs loaded, but I have 35s, computer upgrades with speedo calibrated, freespin hubs, and I run 2stroke oil in the gas. I have to run premium, but the better mileage offsets the cost. I get 12+ combined, 8 wheelin, and 8 towing my 7000lb travel trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Learn something new everyday. Never realized H3's had a V8. How's the power feel with 35's?
V8s were available in the "Alpha" package from 2008-10. Stronger front diff also. Front locker was added 2009-10. The V8 H3s came with 4.10 gears instead of 4.56s which came with the 5cyls. There isn't much power loss jumping to 35s until you're climbing steep grades on the highway.

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4