What's your latest camping gear purchase, and what caused you to buy it?

• HTML tutorial

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Got one of those for Christmas this year. Neat thing, just take good care of the metal. Read stories about it rusting through fairly quickly if not taken care of.
Yeah that’s what I read and saw on some YouTube videos. How would you keep it from rusting? I also picked up the solar cover and stick as well.

Reactions: WalkerTexasRanger

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

Yeah that’s what I read and saw on some YouTube videos. How would you keep it from rusting? I also picked up the solar cover and stick as well.
Personally I live in a dry climate so rust isn’t too much of a concern on its own. However using water with it is not recommended and I think the book even says it. Too many holes and spots for water to stick and cause rust with such thin metal. I haven’t had much time with it but I try and keep it clear of too much ash or coal that’ll gunk it up. Then wipe it down with a dry rag

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Personally I live in a dry climate so rust isn’t too much of a concern on its own. However using water with it is not recommended and I think the book even says it. Too many holes and spots for water to stick and cause rust with such thin metal. I haven’t had much time with it but I try and keep it clear of too much ash or coal that’ll gunk it up. Then wipe it down with a dry rag
Thanks for the tips. I haven’t opened the box yet lol. Will do this weekend.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Ok, my most recent purchase is the White Duck Outdoors 16'5" Regatta bell tent. The reason I bought it is because I own property in rural Pennsylvania where I do 95% of my camping. So I figured I'd put something up that I can leave there for the Winter, along with a wood stove for heat and cooking.

Man that’s huge! You could live in there for sure.

Reactions: dziner

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

Try those lil silica packs that come in just about everything nowadays, just read recently about using them with camping pots/pans to keep from rusting....

Reactions: RoarinRow

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Folding table, coleman propane lantern, zero gravity folding chair.

Got the table because I'm doing a camp trip this weekend in BLM areas and there will be nothing provided.

Propane lantern because I dislike cool white LED lanterns, also it's pretty bright at 1000 lumens.

Zero gravity chair, it's super comfy and reclines almost flat.

Reactions: dziner and reaver

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Picked up one of those x rocker folding camp chairs.. Was tired of using the wife's pinkish purple one lol

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

So I've been slowing building up my gear, have not camped since I was much much younger...the one thing that I am still curious about is a good camp chair...I've never been a big fan of the standard folding chair, always felt they cut up into my legs...what's everyone use?

Got my new Plano 1919 case to pack up the new gear, nice lil case for the price

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So I've been slowing building up my gear, have not camped since I was much much younger...the one thing that I am still curious about is a good camp chair...I've never been a big fan of the standard folding chair, always felt they cut up into my legs...what's everyone use?

I bought my wife one of these last year, and she loves it.

The rockers come off, and you can use it as a standard chair as well.

I have one of those super low, super compact chairs, and it's great, but I need something a little taller. I might keep the small one for the kiddo.

Reactions: dziner and MeHere!

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

I bought my wife one of these last year, and she loves it.

The rockers come off, and you can use it as a standard chair as well.

I have one of those super low, super compact chairs, and it's great, but I need something a little taller. I might keep the small one for the kiddo.
I like that, may have to invest in a couple, can't beat the price either

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If you have the room to accommodate it, it's a fantastic chair. I'm looking for something a bit more compact for myself. My xterra has limited space.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Just picked up a Tuff Stuff Delta RTT since our last trip was a bit rough sleeping in hammocks. My wife and I froze our butts off, even though we both had 20* sleeping bags, under quilts, rainflys, and a blanket draped over the ridgelines. Guess that's what we get for camping next to a mountain stream in 30* weather!

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I think I got the older one. I'm not 100% sure. This is the one I got:

Now, if I could get an estimated delivery date from UPS, that would be awesome. It was originally supposed to be here tomorrow, but it's still sitting at UPS, so hopefully it gets here by friday, since I'd love to use it this weekend.
How do you like your tent now that you've had a chance to use it a bit? Is the floor sturdy enough? Did you end up picking up the rainfly for it?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
How do you like your tent now that you've had a chance to use it a bit? Is the floor sturdy enough? Did you end up picking up the rainfly for it?
I've not used it in the rain, but I did pick up the fly. The floor seems plenty sturdy. We'll have to see how it does this year since we plan on getting the family out once a month when the weather warms up.

Reactions: Munga Brown

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP

been using these chairs for years, pack up small yet very comfy
1580090696917.png

FernJ

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Juarez
Purchased this ARB 2500X2500 AWNING ROOM.

Why.!??

Well for starters it made my wife very happy and I'm all about that.!
Another reason is more livable/usable space for our adventures. With a small space heater on low with all sides closed it can get pretty toasty.! Also. Kept us out of the rain first night we deployed it until we could get into the tent when the rain stopped.! Highly recommend this product.!

Attachments