What's your latest camping gear purchase, and what caused you to buy it?

• HTML tutorial

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Bought two more of the GoPower Rechargeable Waterproof Flameless Lighter & LED Flashlight; liked the first one so much I figured it would be nice to have a couple extra just in case. Can never have too many flashlights or means of making fire. Also picked up another fire extinguisher for the truck; heard stories about only having one not being enough. It's a big truck; I figure it is good for the extra weight.
View attachment 142137
Have you seen the YouTube video of Casey’s (Coyote Works) Jeep going up? Completely destroyed! 2 extinguishers=good

Reactions: Relic6.3

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Went to the coyoteworks invitational this year. People were giving him such a hard time about that. He was also gifted a fire extinguisher.... So at least he has one now.

Reactions: Mojavewanderer

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

YouTube video of Casey’s (Coyote Works) Jeep going up
That is the actual video the guys at Midwest Overlanding and Off-road Expo (MOORE) used during their presentation on being prepared when overlanding. They didn't criticize Casey for not having two extinguishers, especially since he used three gallons of his much needed water. But my takeaway was that an extra extinguisher certainly wouldn't have hurt (that and keeping the hood closed as much as possible).

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Went to the coyoteworks invitational this year. People were giving him such a hard time about that. He was also gifted a fire extinguisher.... So at least he has one now.
He had one then, too. I checked out his vids from his invitational. I had just missed the trip.
That is the actual video the guys at Midwest Overlanding and Off-road Expo (MOORE) used during their presentation on being prepared when overlanding. They didn't criticize Casey for not having two extinguishers, especially since he used three gallons of his much needed water. But my takeaway was that an extra extinguisher certainly wouldn't have hurt (that and keeping the hood closed as much as possible).
Oh, hell yeah, it would've helped! It sure couldn't have hurt!! I felt so bad watching that video... He worked his butt off trying to keep it under control and having the presence of mind to get stuff out, and film it!

So yeah. Two extinguishers trumps one extinguisher.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Just ordered some collapsible tarp poles, because I need a way to get some shade/shelter, and I don't really want to spend 300 on an awning right now. I also picked up a small coleman roll out table to give me a place to cook. I used to do it on the tailgate of my truck, but the Xterra doesn't have a tailgate, so pretty self explanatory.

Reactions: Viking1204

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Have you seen the YouTube video of Casey’s (Coyote Works) Jeep going up? Completely destroyed! 2 extinguishers=good
He did a bang up job of keeping it contained and not letting it develop into a full on wildland fire. He must have been a wildland firefighter in a previous life :D

Reactions: Munga Brown

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
In my quest to reduce the space my camping items took up when packing my truck I ordered the two tables below that should save me quite of bit of space over the tables I have now. They should be here tomorrow!

Reactions: Wallygator

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
In my continued quest to save space ordered one of the Frontrunner camping chairs to see if it a suitable replacement for the generic Sam's Club folding chairs I have now that are heavy and bulky. Also ordered an Anderson 12V Plug and connectors to replace the stupid cigarette lighter plug currently used to power my fridge that keeps coming loose and losing power. How is it that a better standard 12V plug hasn't been invented for the unreliable cigarette lighter plug???

Reactions: Wallygator

iLikeDonuts

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waterous
Seriously considering this:
Currently I have all of our utensils in a roll but I'm toying with the idea that this will remain better organized. I already have a larger cutting board I bring as well, but a small backup might be useful for prep.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Seriously considering this:
Currently I have all of our utensils in a roll but I'm toying with the idea that this will remain better organized. I already have a larger cutting board I bring as well, but a small backup might be useful for prep.
I bought an empty case like that and supplied it myself but that is a pretty good deal. I love the style of case, when it's time to cook you just unzip and open it up and the utensils are handy ready to use!

iLikeDonuts

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waterous
I bought an empty case like that and supplied it myself but that is a pretty good deal. I love the style of case, when it's time to cook you just unzip and open it up and the utensils are handy ready to use!
Yeah I already have all of the items that come in it, but I'm okay with having spares that fit. I would definitely keep our camp knife, but the tongs and turner I use were I think $2 each from City Market in Moab and we've had them for 2-3 years now. :grin:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Yeah I already have all of the items that come in it, but I'm okay with having spares that fit. I would definitely keep our camp knife, but the tongs and turner I use were I think $2 each from City Market in Moab and we've had them for 2-3 years now. :grin:
I think this is the one I got since I already had a lot of the stuff.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Slumberjack Roadhouse - I really was eyeballing awnings hard, but kept going between wanting to go expensive for a batwing, and trying to keep it simple and cheaper. Was going to order some tarps when I saw this.. picked one up to try it out vs traditional tarps.

Gazelle T8 - While I have a Tepui RTT, I'm thinking of upgrading to a James Baroud, and wanted to get something inbetween, so if I decide to sell my RTT, I'm not having to wait to go camping. It was on sale... and I if it was just that... I'd think longer, but I also got a Veteran's Discount, so I said why the heck not.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Just finished installing a new solar charge controller that will support our new portable 120 watt briefcase panel and our original 100 watt panel. This increase of our solar capacity will support our fridge, freezer and dual battery 120ah ( 60 actual ah) capacity indefinitely.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I like that! Did you also get the poles from Amazon? If so, what are they called?
Bought a pair of tarp poles on Amazon, it has a funky name, ( paid $33 for them, now their $39) The aluminum adjustable ones with the twist locks are the best ones. My 1st two poles, I bought from the Bass Pro Shop, those are steal and they kinda suck compared to the aluminum ones. Buy the twist lock poles, their way better then the other ones.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I've got the same one, I like you're set up!
I really like the tarp, it’s lightweight and it came with all those accessories. My buddy bought another brand and it’s a Rectangle shape, much heavier and it didn’t come with anything. I think it was called BearHard.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Bought a pair of tarp poles on Amazon, it has a funky name, ( paid $33 for them, now their $39) The aluminum adjustable ones with the twist locks are the best ones. My 1st two poles, I bought from the Bass Pro Shop, those are steal and they kinda suck compared to the aluminum ones. Buy the twist lock poles, their way better then the other ones.
Thank you, I added to my list!