What's your latest camping gear purchase, and what caused you to buy it?

• HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Is this one a runner or the one you mentioned needed a new motor? I have been driving my '91 Cherokee the last two weeks. Car and '77 both started to leak water.
Nope. Works great as is! No issues whatsoever, and ran from day 1. I've actually been dailying it since I bought it to get a good feel for how it drives. Starting next week though, it's back to driving the colorado.

I'm not gonna lie, I was hoping you guys wouldn't find out until I brought it on a trip, but I guess the cats out of the bag now.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Nope. Works great as is! No issues whatsoever, and ran from day 1. I've actually been dailying it since I bought it to get a good feel for how it drives. Starting next week though, it's back to driving the colorado.

I'm not gonna lie, I was hoping you guys wouldn't find out until I brought it on a trip, but I guess the cats out of the bag now.
I noticed as soon as you changed your avatar. You gave yourself away!

Reactions: M Rose

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Treated myself to an early xmas of sorts and got a bunch of stuff, since I'm likely to be on the road and in the desert for xmas.

Got a front receiver hitch for my van so I have a solid front recovery point, though also the capability to have a front step, basket for generator, firewood, or other camp/road gear, AND can better hook up and steer trailers into tight spots or in recovery situations. Also makes it easier to reverse direction on a tight trail where one may not have enough room to back both trailer and vehicle off the trail.

Hoping to install it this Thurs when it warms up a bit. Well below freezing and gloomy out there lately.

reesefronthitch-700.jpg

A 3in x 8ft 30,000lb tree-saver/winch strap/tow strap (below) to go with the 30ft 24,000lb recovery/tow strap I already have. Both are from TGL Recovery Gear, which I honestly don't know anything about, though they sure get a lot of good reviews on amazon for their stuff and my 30' strap has performed great, though hasn't seen a ton of use. They're offering a 15% off coupon as of this writing on the 30' strap mentioned above.

treesaver-recoverystrap_8312-700.jpeg ... tree-saver-recoverystrap_8314-700.jpeg

An All Weather Notebook from Snugpak. I'm all the time making quick notes in the field about flora and fauna or tracks, etc. I like this all-weather notebook more than the other popular brand because it is larger at 4"x6" and easier to use with gloves on. Also easier to write in.

In my tests so far it works really well with regular pens, pencils, and Sharpie (which sometimes beads up on all-weather paper but not in this notebook). Ink from my Micron pens needs a few secs to dry or may smudge. It also has, inside the back cover so it stays clean, handy rulers in both inches and millimeters and conversion charts for length, weight, and temps.

Be aware, if you order from amzn there is just one in the order, not three or four as they picture. It's also green, not tan as they picture, which is fine with me. Mine is a full 6" long, however, contrary to what a previous reviewer found.

snugpakallweathernotebook_8320-700.jpeg . snugpakallweathernotebook-700.jpg . snugpakallweathernotebook-02-700.jpg

Finally got another pair of good touch-screen gloves. I use these all the time when camping, with my cameras and mobile devices, and want gloves that both keep my hands warmer and are effective with touch screens. My old ones from Manfrotto finally wore out a fingertip. I've had these a couple weeks now and can say they work even better than my old ones did. I like that they have grip texture in the palms, too. Very handy when gripping gear.

touchscreengloves_8317-700.jpeg ... touchscreengloves_8318-700.jpeg

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
On the advice of @Gary Stevens I picked up one of these work platforms, will come in handy for deploying and packing up the RTT! Also makes a great bench and no doubt I'll find many other uses for it, great price right now!

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
Bought an Alpicool T36 dual temp fridge/freezer. Got it for $229 delivered. Been running for a few days now and it seems to be doing fine. Has two baskets, a removable divider to allow single chamber operation. Seems to be well built, even if it is plastic. Has wheels for "towing" to the car. The larger compartment cannot be set to a lower temp than the smaller one, so the freezer is the smaller side; should still hold enuf ice cream to keep me happy. :hearteyecat:

It was delivered by Amazon and the driver brought it to me upside down, not a good thing. I let it sit upright for 3 days, and it's fine. Seems to hold temps pretty well, but I don't have it loaded up too much yet. Has a drain plug, so it could be used with ice if it decided to die.

It will hold as much or more than my Yeti 50 when you subtract out the 2/3 ice requirement, and there's no sloshing of melted ice/water.

I don't have any solar/battery setup for it yet, but am thinking about it.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

My latest two purchases are for water, a 10 liter MSR dromedary bag, and a 1974 dated Coleman steel belted jug. The jug needs a new gasket at the spout, but oldcolemanparts.com has them.

Reactions: reaver

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Dual burner propane stove from Academy because I wanted something less bulky than my Coleman 424 Dual Fuel Stove (tri-fuel actually since I have the propane adapter as well). The 424 is for sale by the way if anyone is interested haha.

And a Buddy Heater. The smaller one that mounts directly ontop of the 1lb propane bottles. I did a test run with it in my XJ just in my drive way. 32 degrees last night and within 10 or 15 minutes it had it hot enough in there it was uncomfortably warm. I keep a CO monitor hanging in the back of my Jeep and the highest the reading got was 10ppm of CO. It alarm beeps at 35ppm then does a continuous alarm at 60ppm. The bigger heaters do have adjustable heat but are a bit larger than I wanted to carry.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
@Downs I'm going to pick up one of those smaller buddy heaters too. Nice that they can be safely used in doors, shouldn't have to ever worry about in my tent as it has lots of vents and is breathable material.

Lately I myself have picked up a few things, fireplace tongs, fireplace poker, and a 5.5 Oil Cruet so I can manage my campfires better and have oil for cooking while at camp!

Reactions: Downs

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I own 21 acres of land in rural Pennsylvania which is where I primarily go to camp. My most recent purchases are the following:
I'm enjoying the thought of getting out there in cold weather and being able to use the wood stove for heat as well as cooking and heating water inside the shelter.

I've been using a Gazelle T3 tent since Spring and really like how easy it is to setup and that I can stand up inside of it. And I use a Mr. Heater Buddy that heats the tent up very quickly. But I really want to see how this works running a wood stove inside of a tent.

Reactions: Road and Viking1204

TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
I joined the Gazelle owners club! Have not gotten to take it out for a spin yet but did the quick back yard test and found it just as fast and a bit easier than the cot tent that I was using. Can't wait for all the space this is going to feel like glamping! Yes the packed up size seems excessive in length but even in my little Vehicle I can fit it with the seats down. If have more then 2 people I drag the trailer anyhow so then it just goes in there with plenty of room to spare.
20191214_161533_HDR.jpg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I recently picked up some older Coleman lanterns so yesterday I ordered some new sock mantles so I can try and fire them up and see how they work!

Reactions: dziner

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Camping in the PNW caused my old reliable Petzl head lamp to fail. Bought a Black Diamond waterproof head lamp. After arriving to the southwest I disassemble the Petzl, cleaned the corrosion and put it back together. Now I have two headlamps, one for dry desert conditions, and the other for wet rainy conditions. We also bought two new basecamp sleeping bags, good for -15 so we stayed nice and toasty at 12 degrees.

Reactions: dziner

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

My most recent addition. I like it. Keeps water low in the vehicle, and easy to access.

How do you like it? I have some long long trips coming up and I like the idea of that with a pump instead of 2 7 gallon cans. Frontrunner makes some really nice kit.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
How do you like it? I have some long long trips coming up and I like the idea of that with a pump instead of 2 7 gallon cans. Frontrunner makes some really nice kit.
I like it, and it works well. Be aware because of the hump notch, there are two sump points. You could Y them together to feed a pump. I run a pump on one side, and a gravity feed on the other. There are no internal baffles, so you will hear sloshing. I have so much road noise, that it makes no difference to me.

Reactions: USStrongman

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You know what they say about a fool and his money?! I picked up a Biolite Firepit that was on sale. Will use it next trip whenever that is lol. I like the somewhat smokeless function with the ability to also cook on it. Saw it on our first/last trip.

Reactions: WalkerTexasRanger

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

You know what they say about a fool and his money?! I picked up a Biolite Firepit that was on sale. Will use it next trip whenever that is lol. I like the somewhat smokeless function with the ability to also cook on it. Saw it on our first/last trip.
Got one of those for Christmas this year. Neat thing, just take good care of the metal. Read stories about it rusting through fairly quickly if not taken care of.