What piece of gear made the biggest improvement to your experience?

• HTML tutorial

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
This is awesome! I want this so bad but it's so expensive...
Do you sleep with two people up there? What it's like in bad weather, wind and rain?
It is expensive, it took me awhile to pull the trigger but it’s worth the price. It holds up very well in strong winds, acts like any tent. It also did good in light to moderate rain, I haven’t been in heavy rain or snow, and you can easily sleep 2 adults.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I tent camped for many, many years. My last tent camping adventure was 4 years ago. It was a miserable, rainy, windy, cold trip. The better half told me never again. So, I started looking for alternatives. When we vacation, we tend to stay away from people as much as possible. That means something like a traditional travel trailer was out of the question. I proposed a Turtleback Trailer to the significant other. Her response was that's just a tent off the ground. Then I started looking at offroad capable teardrop trailers. Ended up with an Oregon Trail'r Terradrop. Now, this is something I definitely could not have afforded in my younger days. However, it is the single best improvement to my camping experience; bonus, I can go pretty much anywhere I would have before also.

-Curtiss
I've been looking at those. Got to see one up close and talk to one of the owners at Northwest Overland Rally last summer. I want one bad.

Adventr-X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Grundy, VA, USA
Member #

Vehicle related gear - tires. My Falken AT3W have been great in everything and 25k later they're only down to 13/32 from 17/32 new.

Non vehicle related my ARB50 fridge. It just opens up so many options when it comes to food/drink.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I've been looking at those. Got to see one up close and talk to one of the owners at Northwest Overland Rally last summer. I want one bad.
The Oregon Trail'r boys are a couple of great guys. Straight shooters too. One is an expert in wood and mechanical, the other in metal and electrical. The combination makes for a great trailer. I have done many upgrades to my own trailer and I'm still impressed by the quality when I crack open parts of the trailer most never do. Top notch top to bottom. The wait is the only problem. Almost a year to get mine. But, honestly, well worth it.

-Curtiss

Reactions: Drifterman

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I’ve had mine since August and slept 18 nights in it. No regrets!
That's good to hear. The ONLY thing keeping me from doing it at the moment is my garage. I really enjoy being able to park the Jeep in the garage, and with the Ursa Minor that wouldn''t be possible, unfortunately. Did you take out your rear seats or do you leave them installed?

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
That's good to hear. The ONLY thing keeping me from doing it at the moment is my garage. I really enjoy being able to park the Jeep in the garage, and with the Ursa Minor that wouldn''t be possible, unfortunately. Did you take out your rear seats or do you leave them installed?
I took my rear seats out long ago and made a plywood platform with hatches so I could use the footwell for storage. Kinda like what Goosegear does except I used cheap indoor/outdoor carpet.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
first would be the offroad teardrop I designed from scratch and built, and second would be the Chinese Webasto knock off diesel powered heater for inside. While it is not particularly needed for me, it keeps the whining sound coming from the wife to a minimum so I can sleep. I also have his and hers CPAP machines.

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I took my rear seats out long ago and made a plywood platform with hatches so I could use the footwell for storage. Kinda like what Goosegear does except I used cheap indoor/outdoor carpet.
Ok gotcha. Was just curious as I really do like having my rear seats and access to them, and do use them occasionally. I'm sure I could navigate up into the UM with them in place but it may not be pretty! lol

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Ok gotcha. Was just curious as I really do like having my rear seats and access to them, and do use them occasionally. I'm sure I could navigate up into the UM with them in place but it may not be pretty! lol
It works fine with the seats in, I’ve seen a few that did that. Obviously you can step on the seat or fold it down.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
First thing that comes to mind is my fridge, but maybe because I was just replying to another thread about them. It opens up a lot more possibilities for the food I can take and I kinda hate dealing with ice and wet food.
Yep! I just got a Dometic ice chest type fridge and LOVE IT! The Yeti didnt hold ice all that great and I cant even remember all the food that got ruined when the ice melted and sandwich meat is floating in water, etc.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
My recovery kit. More so than my winch and Bull bar. With the recovery gear, it was possible to maybe get myself unstuck, or have the gear for a good Samaritan to use on my vehicle. Everything else just complimented that decision.

PEACE OF MIND

Last edited: