What piece of gear made the biggest improvement to your experience?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

HawkH3Alpha

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Denton, TX, USA
Member #

Super nice H3 and trailer! I seriously considered one before going with the LX. Does it have the triple lockers?
Although I have the Alpha edition mine did not come with lockers. That will be a project for the end of the year. Change from 4.11 gears to 4.88 and install lockers. Any recommendations on locker brand?

Reactions: Drifterman

CSG

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

This. It's like having running water. Washing hands and dishes is so much easier.

Stopped by Home Depot today and picked one up. Less than $8 with tax. I pumped it a few times and gave it a try in the store. No water but I could tell it worked. Will try it with water tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on these, Sean. We'll see if it works better than my Simple Shower.

avgjoe624

Rank V

Contributor I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

ive went camping about twice a year since I was 2 weeks old. since I can remember, ive always made my coffee on a stack of logs in the fireplace. I finally found a coleman stove for free and I realized that ive been doing wrong for so many years. that thing changed my life

The other Sean

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Stopped by Home Depot today and picked one up. Less than $8 with tax. I pumped it a few times and gave it a try in the store. No water but I could tell it worked. Will try it with water tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on these, Sean. We'll see if it works better than my Simple Shower.
I wish I could take credit, but I saw it on some random camping/overlanding YouTube video. Sadly, I do not remember which....

smritte

Rank V

Traveler III

Ontario California
Member #

Ham Callsign
KO6BI
In this order
1. Tires
2. Suspension
3. Fridge
I had never owned a fridge until a few years ago. I was on a week trip in Death Valley with about 6 other vehicles. I was the only one with an ice chest. A few months later, I bought a fridge. Never looked back.

Scott

Ripley1046

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Manitowoc, WI
Member #

So far the biggest thing I can think of is the roof top storage box (though I didn't technically pay for it, found on the curb) since it gave us the room to take all our camping gear with my wife, son, and I. Tires were a game changer, and I have a lift kit yet to be installed that I can't wait to try out this summer.

A fridge and trailer setup are the next things on the list. I would love to have a home built trailer with an RTT and most of the heavy crap in that rather than the car. Then I can also grab any of our vehicles and hit the road.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V

Advocate I

Glendale, AZ
Member #

I tent camped for many, many years. My last tent camping adventure was 4 years ago. It was a miserable, rainy, windy, cold trip. The better half told me never again. So, I started looking for alternatives. When we vacation, we tend to stay away from people as much as possible. That means something like a traditional travel trailer was out of the question. I proposed a Turtleback Trailer to the significant other. Her response was that's just a tent off the ground. Then I started looking at offroad capable teardrop trailers. Ended up with an Oregon Trail'r Terradrop. Now, this is something I definitely could not have afforded in my younger days. However, it is the single best improvement to my camping experience; bonus, I can go pretty much anywhere I would have before also.

-Curtiss

JDGreens

Rank VI

Influencer II

Englewood Co.
Member #

I tent camped for many, many years. My last tent camping adventure was 4 years ago. It was a miserable, rainy, windy, cold trip. The better half told me never again. So, I started looking for alternatives. When we vacation, we tend to stay away from people as much as possible. That means something like a traditional travel trailer was out of the question. I proposed a Turtleback Trailer to the significant other. Her response was that's just a tent off the ground. Then I started looking at offroad capable teardrop trailers. Ended up with an Oregon Trail'r Terradrop. Now, this is something I definitely could not have afforded in my younger days. However, it is the single best improvement to my camping experience; bonus, I can go pretty much anywhere I would have before also.

-Curtiss
I was going to say a very good air compressor, but I think once I have my trailer finished enough to use it. it will become the best improvement by far. It is not a tear drop but it is going to function much the same way.

SgtMac

Rank IV

Advocate II

Vail, Arizona
Member #

RTT and our shower, I bought a cheap Home Depot sprayer, and put Duckworks handle and spray nozzle on it.

But I don't have a Fridge yet. Dometic CFX50 is on my list.

shellbackbob

Rank I

Contributor II

St. George,Vermont
Member #

"What piece of gear made the biggest improvement to your experience?" Hands down this form! all the ideas and tips everyone gives is priceless. Just this thread I found a shower idea, a off-road teardrop (most likely can't afford) and a frig set up that I will need to look more into.
thanks everyone