What piece of gear made the biggest improvement to your experience?

• HTML tutorial

HawkH3Alpha

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denton, TX, USA
Member #

Super nice H3 and trailer! I seriously considered one before going with the LX. Does it have the triple lockers?
Although I have the Alpha edition mine did not come with lockers. That will be a project for the end of the year. Change from 4.11 gears to 4.88 and install lockers. Any recommendations on locker brand?

Reactions: Drifterman

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

This. It's like having running water. Washing hands and dishes is so much easier.

Stopped by Home Depot today and picked one up. Less than $8 with tax. I pumped it a few times and gave it a try in the store. No water but I could tell it worked. Will try it with water tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on these, Sean. We'll see if it works better than my Simple Shower.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

ive went camping about twice a year since I was 2 weeks old. since I can remember, ive always made my coffee on a stack of logs in the fireplace. I finally found a coleman stove for free and I realized that ive been doing wrong for so many years. that thing changed my life

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Stopped by Home Depot today and picked one up. Less than $8 with tax. I pumped it a few times and gave it a try in the store. No water but I could tell it worked. Will try it with water tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on these, Sean. We'll see if it works better than my Simple Shower.
I wish I could take credit, but I saw it on some random camping/overlanding YouTube video. Sadly, I do not remember which....

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In this order
1. Tires
2. Suspension
3. Fridge
I had never owned a fridge until a few years ago. I was on a week trip in Death Valley with about 6 other vehicles. I was the only one with an ice chest. A few months later, I bought a fridge. Never looked back.

Scott

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
So far the biggest thing I can think of is the roof top storage box (though I didn't technically pay for it, found on the curb) since it gave us the room to take all our camping gear with my wife, son, and I. Tires were a game changer, and I have a lift kit yet to be installed that I can't wait to try out this summer.

A fridge and trailer setup are the next things on the list. I would love to have a home built trailer with an RTT and most of the heavy crap in that rather than the car. Then I can also grab any of our vehicles and hit the road.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I tent camped for many, many years. My last tent camping adventure was 4 years ago. It was a miserable, rainy, windy, cold trip. The better half told me never again. So, I started looking for alternatives. When we vacation, we tend to stay away from people as much as possible. That means something like a traditional travel trailer was out of the question. I proposed a Turtleback Trailer to the significant other. Her response was that's just a tent off the ground. Then I started looking at offroad capable teardrop trailers. Ended up with an Oregon Trail'r Terradrop. Now, this is something I definitely could not have afforded in my younger days. However, it is the single best improvement to my camping experience; bonus, I can go pretty much anywhere I would have before also.

-Curtiss

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I tent camped for many, many years. My last tent camping adventure was 4 years ago. It was a miserable, rainy, windy, cold trip. The better half told me never again. So, I started looking for alternatives. When we vacation, we tend to stay away from people as much as possible. That means something like a traditional travel trailer was out of the question. I proposed a Turtleback Trailer to the significant other. Her response was that's just a tent off the ground. Then I started looking at offroad capable teardrop trailers. Ended up with an Oregon Trail'r Terradrop. Now, this is something I definitely could not have afforded in my younger days. However, it is the single best improvement to my camping experience; bonus, I can go pretty much anywhere I would have before also.

-Curtiss
I was going to say a very good air compressor, but I think once I have my trailer finished enough to use it. it will become the best improvement by far. It is not a tear drop but it is going to function much the same way.

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
RTT and our shower, I bought a cheap Home Depot sprayer, and put Duckworks handle and spray nozzle on it.

But I don't have a Fridge yet. Dometic CFX50 is on my list.

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

The drawer system I built into the back of our '05 4Runner that now lives in our '18. It made the three week trip that followed way more organized than previous long trips and we continued to use it in the years since for shorter trips. No more asking if we really have everything, it's all back there ready to go when we are.

shellbackbob

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

St. George,Vermont
Member #

"What piece of gear made the biggest improvement to your experience?" Hands down this form! all the ideas and tips everyone gives is priceless. Just this thread I found a shower idea, a off-road teardrop (most likely can't afford) and a frig set up that I will need to look more into.
thanks everyone