What kind of overlanding do you do?

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Realised that I hadn't answered the original question - what do we do (or consider "overlanding")?

Long trips: 11 months around South America, 10 months around Southern & Eastern Africa, 10 months around Australia

Short trips: 1 month around Iceland, others in SE Asia, North America, Continental Europe.

Weekend trips: mainly in Colombia.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Mainly two and three day weekends, stems from our Duck and Quail Hunting trips. We used to do whole weeks when we were younger but with Doctor appts. and such a long weekend is only the free time we have now....

Reactions: MMc

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

the ring road in Iceland was a blast. So green, fresh water falling off of just about every cliff and great people
I loved Iceland. I I wish we had more time there to explore more of the interior. We did get to hike across some glaciers and in some ice caves, but the vehicle we had ( Ford kuga) was great for exploring the exterior ... and I pushed it pretty hard to get into some spots to see some old viking ruins. And we lucked out while we were there and got to see some amazing northern lights!

Anytime we can take the road less traveled we do. I would say 70% of our planned trips require a high ground clearance vehicle with 4 wheel drive. The goal to travel where most will not go. Our un-planned trips tend to be more pavement and just exploring rural America. I would consider both as overlanding, backwoods or backroads both require a dependable vehicle and being prepared to be self reliant. I will say covid has made it very hard to find un-explored areas. More people trying to get out of the city and more and more road closures.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
I loved Iceland. I I wish we had more time there to explore more of the interior. We did get to hike across some glaciers and in some ice caves, but the vehicle we had ( Ford kuga) was great for exploring the exterior ... and I pushed it pretty hard to get into some spots to see some old viking ruins. And we lucked out while we were there and got to see some amazing northern lights!
We had a little Happy Camper Van and did everything not on an F road. We hiked up the active Fagradalsfjall, into Gýgjagjá and more

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm all over the place from simple (ground) tent out of the WJ, to Overland teardrop, to just off-roading to the family cabin etc. Some probably isn't "Overlanding" but whatever, I don't care much about the definitions as long as I get out there.

-TJ

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Our 3500 Ram/camper combo is diesel 4x4 so we can follow the dirt roads well past where the high clearance 2x4 vehicles turn around. We don't push into technical with this rig -- did that for years with the proper vehicles but interests just changed. We like short 1-week trips exploring off the beaten path and frequently have a specific destination built in for a photo/video project. We did the full-time RV thing for about 12 years, so long trips don't faze us and we're planning on a multi-month next summer to Alaska. What we like best about the truck camper set-up? When we were in a large RV, we frequently had to say, "I wonder where that road goes?" as we drove past it. Now? We answer, "Let's find out!" and just do it.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and MMc

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I pick up my 35 pound backpack, and toss it in the bed of my truck.

Maybe I'll throw in a cooler and kayak as well. Back to basics. No rack, no rtt, no snorkel, no stove, no water........full circle. Sorry guys, but I'm getting off of the gear geek merry go round.

Last edited:

MattLodi

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Reggio Emilia, RE, Italia
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lodi
i'll use my vehicle (i haven't finished the sleeping platform yet) as a "base camp" for the weekend hikes, my job doesn't allow me to do multi-day trips.
My dream is to visit the US with it, but it is destined to remain a dream for a looong time.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and MMc

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

With only a few weeks of PTO a year, our trips are usually combos, if possible. Like our last vacation was driving from Texas to California, camping, hiking, and off-roading in Big Bend, then spending a couple days in LA on the beach at an AirBnB, then into the Sierras, and later to Death Valley camping, then hotels on the drive back home.

My wife likes beaches and night life and I like camping and driving so we have fun combining both which makes packing kinda funny.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
I pick up my 35 pound backpack, and toss it in the bed of my truck.

Maybe I'll throw in a cooler and kayak as well. Back to basics. No rack, no rtt, no snorkel, no stove, no water........full circle. Sorry guys, but I'm getting off of the gear geek merry go round.
Why apologise? It works for you, so I say, "Enjoy!".

MarkK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Omaha, NE, USA
Member #

Tabs or Spaces? (geek meter question)

"Overlanded" in freezing weather with a shelter half and sleeping bag (USMC).
"Overlanded" cross country coast to coast many times on a motorcycle with nothing but a pup tent and a backpack.
RV'd for many years with rigs from a pop up to a 40' fifth wheel.

Now .. "Overlanding" with a full size pickup and a truck camper. Been there done that for everything now I like the blend of comfort and can go down most dirt roads but not get too crazy. I suspect it's an age thing,

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Tabs or Spaces? (geek meter question)

"Overlanded" in freezing weather with a shelter half and sleeping bag (USMC).
"Overlanded" cross country coast to coast many times on a motorcycle with nothing but a pup tent and a backpack.
RV'd for many years with rigs from a pop up to a 40' fifth wheel.

Now .. "Overlanding" with a full size pickup and a truck camper. Been there done that for everything now I like the blend of comfort and can go down most dirt roads but not get too crazy. I suspect it's an age thing,
Wow. Pretty much the same checkboxes, just spent half my 20 in the Corps sleeping in a tank (much drier... usually). Kept it up after that doing in search and rescue. Went straight to the 40' diesel for 12 years, and now have a (drum roll....) truck camper! Yeah, might be an age thing but I sure like sleeping in comfort now combined with the ability to go pretty much anywhere. Have you checked out Home - Truck Camper Adventure yet? Pretty good information and not beholden to the advertisers like some truck camper magazines.

See you down the road sometime?

Reactions: MarkK and 9Mike2

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Before getting married and having kids, I used to take week+ long trips around western PA and northern/central West Virginia. I don't consider what I do anything other than camping and 4-wheeling (been doing it a lot longer than "overlanding" has been popular in the US). No fancy equipment, kitchens, RTTs, etc. Just 4x4s, friends, and coolers full of beer and steak kabobs. We typically have a camp site and wheel/hike/raft/kayak during the day. Hit the campsite for drinks and dinner at night.

With kids the last few years, I've only done weekend trips.

We're moving from PA to Texas in a few months. When my kids get a little bit older, I'd love to do some proper long distance stuff across the southwest and up into Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana.

MarkK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Omaha, NE, USA
Member #

Wow. Pretty much the same checkboxes, just spent half my 20 in the Corps sleeping in a tank (much drier... usually). Kept it up after that doing in search and rescue. Went straight to the 40' diesel for 12 years, and now have a (drum roll....) truck camper! Yeah, might be an age thing but I sure like sleeping in comfort now combined with the ability to go pretty much anywhere. Have you checked out Home - Truck Camper Adventure yet? Pretty good information and not beholden to the advertisers like some truck camper magazines.

See you down the road sometime?
Indeed - hopefully we'll get to a meet-up or events in the Midwest now that things are getting restarted.

Sadly I didn't retire from the Marines and our pensions were cancelled by the Corporate and Political Oligarchy so we're working into what we thought would be our retirement years.
But traveling when we can!
(and they wonder why the young people can't find good jobs... the "old" people have to work until they're dead if they didn't have gov't jobs 25 years ago)

• Sad
Reactions: 9Mike2