What is your preferred shelter? (Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs Etc...)

• HTML tutorial

What is your preferred shelter?

• Total voters

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
My kitchen / Trunk set up is temporary. Right now I'm in "trial & error" mode to see what works for us. I'll post a photo later... Eventually I'm going what j@PapaDave set up but I just need to figure out what equipment I will be keeping and what fridge I'll go with, etc etc

But going back to the RTT... We are spoiled family of 5 that lived a city that flies to destination for vacation monthly and always tries to have the best hotel and accommodation...
That being said, I could have done ground tents for my family but it was going to be a bit difficult trying to convince them, especially my wife. I knew that the easiest way to get them to do outdoor with me was do something they've never seen and that's kinda cool which was a RTT...

And it worked.

View attachment 126008
If I was going to have one I would want one like yours. It looks to be a sturdy built one and I'd bet pretty costly too.
Like to hear more about your rig when you have time.

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

If I was going to have one I would want one like yours. It looks to be a sturdy built one and I'd bet pretty costly too.
Like to hear more about your rig when you have time.
I think it was but we didn't go on a vacation for 3 months, so we had extra $ for our new toy.

But I am also practical guy or i try to be.

1 - I know I can't build a tent on the roof so I need to buy one. If I'm going to buy one, might as well spent the money to make my family comfortable. We went with the biggest, sturdy and ready for any weather. This is what cost the most $$$ IMO.

2 - How do we install this RTT, oh, just a cross bar? Cool. Let me look at Craiglists... I scored a Thule High Gutter Cross Bar for about $200, and it came with 4 of em. Instead of buying a frontrunner for $1200 which I'll eventually will LOL

Overall, I know I spent a lot of $$$ but it was spread out in weeks and months and not all at once. (we started doing this 4-5 months ago)

The way my wife looks at my kids when they experience something new, it's beautiful. But at the end of the day, my memories with my family has been PRICELESS.

Money can be replaced, time can't.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think it was but we didn't go on a vacation for 3 months, so we had extra $ for our new toy.

But I am also practical guy or i try to be.

1 - I know I can't build a tent on the roof so I need to buy one. If I'm going to buy one, might as well spent the money to make my family comfortable. We went with the biggest, sturdy and ready for any weather. This is what cost the most $$$ IMO.

2 - How do we install this RTT, oh, just a cross bar? Cool. Let me look at Craiglists... I scored a Thule High Gutter Cross Bar for about $200, and it came with 4 of em. Instead of buying a frontrunner for $1200 which I'll eventually will LOL

Overall, I know I spent a lot of $$$ but it was spread out in weeks and months and not all at once. (we started doing this 4-5 months ago)

The way my wife looks at my kids when they experience something new, it's beautiful. But at the end of the day, my memories with my family has been PRICELESS.

Money can be replaced, time can't.
Well said ! I cant replace either. Lost my wife of 59 years 8 years ago. Lost my oldest son this past March. Ran out of money years ago !
Still, life is good and I'm happy to have 5 other kids in my life.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It’s just “swag” not “swag out”, as in “I’m sleeping in the swag.”

It’s a single person ground tent. I believe the term swag comes primarily from Australia.
Thanks for clarification. Lots of terms on the forum I don't always understand.

Reactions: MotoHop

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No problemo! I picked up that term somewhere along the way, probably a Ronny Dahl video on YouTube.
Ronny's got a bit of a speech problem for me. The only way I can understand him is to go in to my settings and slow his speech down too 75%. LOL
I HAVE TO DO THAT WITH ALL THE LIMEY'S ON UTUBE !

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I prefer rooftop for two reasons. One. The wife will only use a rooftop tent. Two. It’s elevated so less vermin and angry mammals.
Did you tell you wife that bears love to climb and are very snoopy. So are skunks, possoms and other vermin ! :-)

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I hang my bear burrito a little above the ground with protection on the inside.

Jolly Green

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon City, OR, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Schadewitz
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7ATH
I’ve done them all. From tent, tarp, trailer, motor home, back to multiple tents and now own a jumping jack tent trailer. So far my favorite.

Attachments

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Am I the only one that sleeps in the bed of a truck? I have 74" of space on top of the Decked system, a Softopper, easy to heat with a 3 candle lantern. I set up a SlumberJack off the end for more dry/shade area. Only drawback is I have to take the slumberjack down to use the truck.
I'm setup like this ZR.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Am I the only one that sleeps in the bed of a truck? I have 74" of space on top of the Decked system, a Softopper, easy to heat with a 3 candle lantern. I set up a SlumberJack off the end for more dry/shade area. Only drawback is I have to take the slumberjack down to use the truck.
I'm setup like this ZR.
I think it's a pretty slick set up for a truck cap or suv. The cost is very reasonable as well. The only thing better for you (and me) would be be a t6 Gazelle to have similar space and be able to move the vehicle if need be. Still tbis set up is hard to beat in many ways.

Reactions: madcratebuilder