What is your preferred shelter? (Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs Etc...)

• HTML tutorial

What is your preferred shelter?

• Total voters

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I prefer a tarp on the ground and my sleeping bag on top of that. If it’s raining I will throw the tarp over the bed of the truck and get under that if it’s raining harder or snowing I will just sleep in the cab
I like sleeping under the stars if the weather will allow. I do prefer a folding cot rather than the ground for my old bones and it gives me a place to sit as well. Being single I can pretty much be comfortable with anything because I have the space in my rig to carry creature comforts like awnings, canopies or tents. Really depends mostly on length of stay and weather.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
I havent got a pic yet of my setup because its winter. But I usually sleep in the back of the ranger. 6 foot bed, its a little tight, but with the cap open its alright. I just need to finish removing the bed slide and that will make it a lot easier.

But its just a cap with a cot thrown in the back, couple of canadian armed forces arctic sleeping bags. At least so far. I need to add the lights to it and a bunch of other niceties.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I havent got a pic yet of my setup because its winter. But I usually sleep in the back of the ranger. 6 foot bed, its a little tight, but with the cap open its alright. I just need to finish removing the bed slide and that will make it a lot easier.

But its just a cap with a cot thrown in the back, couple of canadian armed forces arctic sleeping bags. At least so far. I need to add the lights to it and a bunch of other niceties.
Your out there and that's the important thing.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

40 years agoI was a minimalist camper. Under the stars was first choice, then a pup tent if it was wet out. Today I'm in a home bilt square drop. Mostly because I still hate setting up camp or packing up in a rain storm. Home bilt cuz everything manufactured is outrageously expensive, cheaply built, and never exactly what I need.

If I were young again I'd still be using back packing gear only.

But I do like the comfort of a double bed that is always made up.

DSCN1471.jpg

Last edited:

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Am I the only one that sleeps in the bed of a truck? I have 74" of space on top of the Decked system, a Softopper, easy to heat with a 3 candle lantern. I set up a SlumberJack off the end for more dry/shade area. Only drawback is I have to take the slumberjack down to use the truck.
I'm setup like this ZR.
I sleep in the back of my truck too. I have an old insulated shell, and am working on a bed platform. It’s a 6 foot bed, and I’m 6 feet tall, so if I’m all buttoned up, I have to sleep diagonally. I’m looking at a spray on bedliner for more insulation, but I’ve slept warm in temperatures in the 20s already. And when it’s hot, I can leave it open, and hang a mosquito net over the back. The roof vent has a fan as well.35488578-765F-46EB-8A1B-45CA9C84B91D.jpegB930F7EA-2081-445B-BAE3-03BFA2C05EA0.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I sleep in the back of my truck too. I have an old insulated shell, and am working on a bed platform. It’s a 6 foot bed, and I’m 6 feet tall, so if I’m all buttoned up, I have to sleep diagonally. I’m looking at a spray on bedliner for more insulation, but I’ve slept warm in temperatures in the 20s already. And when it’s hot, I can leave it open, and hang a mosquito net over the back. The roof vent has a fan as well.View attachment 128340View attachment 128341
It works, that's great. All I'd add is something like the slumberjack @ $199 bucks.. only because there is no shade in the desert and I hate mosquitos. The jack solves both.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

It works, that's great. All I'd add is something like the slumberjack @ $199 bucks.. only because there is no shade in the desert and I hate mosquitos. The jack solves both.
I have a tarp awning that clips onto eye bolts screwed into the shell. I made it so I can set it up on either side, or the back. The net off the back is adequate, when combined with a thermacell. Worst case, I’d get in and button up, the windows and roof vent all have screens.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have a tarp awning that clips onto eye bolts screwed into the shell. I made it so I can set it up on either side, or the back. The net off the back is adequate, when combined with a thermacell. Worst case, I’d get in and button up, the windows and roof vent all have screens.
Cant beat what makes you happy, huh ?

Reactions: Mojavewanderer

mtnlove

Rank 0

Contributor I

On a Rocky Mountain High
First Name
First
Last Name
Last
I sleep in the back of my truck too. I have an old insulated shell, and am working on a bed platform. It’s a 6 foot bed, and I’m 6 feet tall, so if I’m all buttoned up, I have to sleep diagonally. I’m looking at a spray on bedliner for more insulation, but I’ve slept warm in temperatures in the 20s already. And when it’s hot, I can leave it open, and hang a mosquito net over the back. The roof vent has a fan as well.View attachment 128340View attachment 128341
Love the old Toyota. If I did not have to have room when my kids come to town that would be the way I would go. Dig it!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

WOW !!

You could park that anywhere. The ultimate Urban Camo.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Contented?? I am an engineer... nothing is ever good enough or done. I am working on remote rear wheel steering to get through tight spots better.
That's not discontent Tom, that's just being a dreamer with a longer wish list. I fall into that category as well. Thinkers never quit thinking, engineer or not. I'm content but never
satisfied ! I love the challenge of a better idea but it's costly to be inventive as I am sure you know. You can do anything with enough money. I'm amazed at how far monster truck technology has come. They have been rear wheel steering them for years now.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
One quick question. Is your propane bottle designed to lay on its side ? I was told to never transport them laying down without a special adapter. Your rig looks to be very efficient and off road worthy. I like it a lot !