What is your preferred shelter? (Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs Etc...)

• HTML tutorial

What is your preferred shelter?

• Total voters

Back Road Geezer

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I'm out between 30 to 50 days a year and I don't care to have my camp attached to my vehicle. Since almost all of my camping involves fly fishing I need my 4x4 to get to wherever I'm going to fish. After a day on the water, camp is something to come back to. If I'm on the road, and in a hurry, the Front Runner Flip Pop tent is genius. Pull it out of the bag and it sets itself up almost before it hits the ground. Stick a couple of stakes in the ground, to keep it from blowing away, and you're home. For a base camp set-up I'll sometimes use a bigger tent. If my wife is along it'll be her Big Agnes.

MotoHop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Portage Lakes, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

10'x14' Kodiak Canvas ground tent. Four season weatherproof and tons of room. For a ground tent, it's not small or light, but still easy to stow, deploy, and take down. It's also not cheap, but at still least half the price of a RTT. And, I wouldn't need to carry it on my daily driver rig.
Roots66,
I see a lot of people mention price, but compared to options like a Kodiak Canvas or Oztent, rooftop tents aren't that far off. I can find Tepui Ayer 2 Ultralite and Smittybilt Overlander tents for ~$800. Compared to ~$500 for a Kodiak or ~$700+ for an Oztent, I'm looking at somewhere between a $100-300 difference between a ground tent and a rooftop tent. Don't get me wrong, $300 is still $300, but if I'm dropping $500, I don't think I'm going to let my decision be swayed solely by a few hundred dollars.

The Kodiak intrigues me though. It appears their tents could actually fit in my roof basket, where the Oztent and Gazelle tents would not. How long do you think it takes you to set up your Kodiak? Thanks!

MotoHop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Portage Lakes, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

I'm out between 30 to 50 days a year and I don't care to have my camp attached to my vehicle. Since almost all of my camping involves fly fishing I need my 4x4 to get to wherever I'm going to fish. After a day on the water, camp is something to come back to. If I'm on the road, and in a hurry, the Front Runner Flip Pop tent is genius. Pull it out of the bag and it sets itself up almost before it hits the ground. Stick a couple of stakes in the ground, to keep it from blowing away, and you're home. For a base camp set-up I'll sometimes use a bigger tent. If my wife is along it'll be her Big Agnes.
Have you experienced much rain in your Front Runner Flip Pop tent? I love the idea of a popup tent, but most of the ones I've looked at have horrible reviews regarding water intrusion.

Back Road Geezer

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Have you experienced much rain in your Front Runner Flip Pop tent? I love the idea of a popup tent, but most of the ones I've looked at have horrible reviews regarding water intrusion.
It rained hard for only one night and it stayed dry inside, but with no real porch area it really wouldn't work for more than a quick set-up shelter.

Reactions: MotoHop

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Roots66,
I see a lot of people mention price, but compared to options like a Kodiak Canvas or Oztent, rooftop tents aren't that far off. I can find Tepui Ayer 2 Ultralite and Smittybilt Overlander tents for ~$800. Compared to ~$500 for a Kodiak or ~$700+ for an Oztent, I'm looking at somewhere between a $100-300 difference between a ground tent and a rooftop tent. Don't get me wrong, $300 is still $300, but if I'm dropping $500, I don't think I'm going to let my decision be swayed solely by a few hundred dollars.

The Kodiak intrigues me though. It appears their tents could actually fit in my roof basket, where the Oztent and Gazelle tents would not. How long do you think it takes you to set up your Kodiak? Thanks!
Look at Spring bar tents if you are looking at canvas, very well made and very durable, lifetime warranty. All my tents are Nylon and Poly. Canvas was great 50 years ago. Look for a good dome tent with Easton Poles. IMO

Last edited:

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Roots66,

Correct. A high priced ground tent can be close to, or the same as, a low priced RTT. And yes, for me price was a factor, but not THE factor. My decision to go with a ground tent was due to:
1) Room - I just could not fit a queen & twin air mattress in a RTT, let alone have room to also walk around, be able to easily change clothes, sit and eat, or even stand upright.
2) Accessibility - The ground tent has 2 full size doors and no ladder required, which makes it easy for people and stuff (said mattresses, table, storage, clothes, etc.) to go in/out of. Plus, we are both in our 50's and ladders just aren't that fun anymore. Especially at 0-dark-30 when you have to go pee. FYI - you can keep a toilet bucket in a ground tent at night and never have to venture out when nature calls.
3) Setup - As easy as it is to set up a RTT, it's still part of the vehicle. Thus, any time you want to venture out and explore (which is why we go), you have to close everything up and take it with you.
4) Storage - My truck is not just a dedicated rig, it's my daily driver. I use it for going to work, shopping, taking the family places, towing and hauling lumber/feed/rocks/plants/dirt/cargo/equipment, etc. Thus, I cannot just leave a RTT on my truck all the time. Storage location is not really a problem as I can probably rig up something in the barn. However, I can take my ground tent and easily store it in the garage with the rest of the equipment where it will stay dry and safe from pests.

As for set up, from the time I take it out of the my truck bed toolbox (what I transport it in) to ready to use is maybe 2 minutes alone. 90 seconds with 2 people. Here is a video of the setup.

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

I am new to overlanding. New to outdoor.
So I got myself a RTT. Got one of the biggest one with a tri layer for the winter. If I was to do it again, I would only change to a smaller tent while I sleep on the floor while my kids sleeps on top. I just ran out of room on my roof for my solar.
8A9D3A5E-C2EC-48CA-BDF0-BFC1B2B765D9.jpeg

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

For me it is inside the vehicle. When I got my Suburban I was looking for something big enough to sleep in. I was thinking about a late 90's Ford Explorer. However I always have loved the 73-91 Chevy trucks and Suburbans. I have owned several over the years.
I have a 30ft Travel Trailer and needed my Big 84 Chevy 1 ton to tow it.
My wife said it seemed like we should just get one that will do both. So, that is when I got the 90 GMC Suburban 3/4ton. I can sleep in the back with lots of space for gear. Huge roof for rack if I need more gear. Its 4wd, 3/4ton and I love it.
For us, my wife will not do a ground tent. So, for her to go with me, it required being off the ground. I got the Suburban for slightly more than a quality RTT would have cost me by itself.
A win-win for me. One vehicle, does it all and I sleep off the ground. Lets not talk about gas mileage though. Good thing I don't drive very far. (Work from home)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I typically run a hammock and a tarp, no tent needed.
View attachment 125392
Never used a hammock myself but see nothing wrong with it if your back can take it.
Personally I need something that comes closer to resembling a bed. Being on the ground is by far my preference over the RTT.
The SLUMBERJACK is a good alternate also.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I am new to overlanding. New to outdoor.
So I got myself a RTT. Got one of the biggest one with a tri layer for the winter. If I was to do it again, I would only change to a smaller tent while I sleep on the floor while my kids sleeps on top. I just ran out of room on my roof for my solar.
View attachment 125995
Glad to see you in the forums of OB. ALSO GLAD TO SEE ANOTHER LRD2. Flex solar panels can go on your hood as others here have done quite nicely.
I oppose any solar panels that are not portable. I don't like the idea of having to park my rig in the sun all day and especially if I'm going to sleep on it, or in it.

If you sleep inside the LRD2 where do you keep your kitchen ? Like to hear more about your camp set up !

My preference for a camp set up is a tent (Gazelle t4 or larger) that has enough height to stand up and enough floor space to be a room. In addition to the tent I like to have either an awning off my roof rack or separate canopy for leisure and cooking, or even a slumberjack set up off the back of my LRD2.

If I had kid's the RTT sounds like something good for kid's, but I can't see me crawling around up there on my hands and knees. Me up and potty down dosent sound very convenient either at my age.

Reactions: AL.WVSN

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
For me it is inside the vehicle. When I got my Suburban I was looking for something big enough to sleep in. I was thinking about a late 90's Ford Explorer. However I always have loved the 73-91 Chevy trucks and Suburbans. I have owned several over the years.
I have a 30ft Travel Trailer and needed my Big 84 Chevy 1 ton to tow it.
My wife said it seemed like we should just get one that will do both. So, that is when I got the 90 GMC Suburban 3/4ton. I can sleep in the back with lots of space for gear. Huge roof for rack if I need more gear. Its 4wd, 3/4ton and I love it.
For us, my wife will not do a ground tent. So, for her to go with me, it required being off the ground. I got the Suburban for slightly more than a quality RTT would have cost me by itself.
A win-win for me. One vehicle, does it all and I sleep off the ground. Lets not talk about gas mileage though. Good thing I don't drive very far. (Work from home)
I like you logic. I think big trucks have proved their ability to do what most of us do when going off road. Speaking of your wife not liking tents, there are tents like the t4 Gaxelle that you can stand up in and use cots to stay off the ground. Also they have a floor and can be heated with a buddy heater. I'm old so I need as much creature comfort as I can get.
I have my little Scamp trailer but it can't go to some of the places I want to go.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It's almost always just me camping.

The floor in the back of the 3-door D110 is 6.5' long and I'm not, so that works for me :)
That rig is beautiful and perfect for Overlanding - IMO. My LRD2 is shorter than me but I sleep in a fetal position and only need about 56" to be comfortable :- )

Reactions: UnfrozenCaveman

UnfrozenCaveman

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Land Between The Rivers
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Wilks
That rig is beautiful and perfect for Overlanding - IMO. My LRD2 is shorter than me but I sleep in a fetal position and only need about 56" to be comfortable :- )
New Mexico? Keep mid-Sept 2020 open on your calendar and run up to Moab :)

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Glad to see you in the forums of OB. ALSO GLAD TO SEE ANOTHER LRD2. Flex solar panels can go on your hood as others here have done quite nicely.
I oppose any solar panels that are not portable. I don't like the idea of having to park my rig in the sun all day and especially if I'm going to sleep on it, or in it.

If you sleep inside the LRD2 where do you keep your kitchen ? Like to hear more about your camp set up !

My preference for a camp set up is a tent (Gazelle t4 or larger) that has enough height to stand up and enough floor space to be a room. In addition to the tent I like to have either an awning off my roof rack or separate canopy for leisure and cooking, or even a slumberjack set up off the back of my LRD2.

If I had kid's the RTT sounds like something good for kid's, but I can't see me crawling around up there on my hands and knees. Me up and potty down dosent sound very convenient either at my age.
My kitchen / Trunk set up is temporary. Right now I'm in "trial & error" mode to see what works for us. I'll post a photo later... Eventually I'm going what @PapaDave set up but I just need to figure out what equipment I will be keeping and what fridge I'll go with, etc etc

But going back to the RTT... We are spoiled family of 5 that lived a city that flies to destination for vacation monthly and always tries to have the best hotel and accommodation...
That being said, I could have done ground tents for my family but it was going to be a bit difficult trying to convince them, especially my wife. I knew that the easiest way to get them to do outdoor with me was do something they've never seen and that's kinda cool which was a RTT...

And it worked.

8E0817FE-A4DD-4524-88EB-1FF255BAF1BA.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
New Mexico? Keep mid-Sept 2020 open on your calendar and run up to Moab :)

My rig should be ready by then and it's on my agenda. I'm lacking my steel bumpers and winch, but they are in the works. Thanks for the info.