What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Cold cuts are a must. Perfect for a quick pit stop on the way or for a quick pack up in the morning. No cleanup to speak of. Keeps plenty long enough in a decent cooler.

For cooking, I never hit the trail without Chorizo. Its impossible to have a shite day if you had Chorizo in your breakfast.

Reactions: haaken675

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
We like Tommy's chili over a baked potato :D AMAZING!!! Sadly, you folks outside of CA or NV can't get this stuff :(
We leave tomorrow morning for our favorite spot...will be making a stop at Tommy's on the way to get a Qt lol

Last edited:

the_lazy_overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Merredin, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Redmile
Member #

What is that one meal that you must cook on a camping trip?
Also if you must have a certain food item for travel to a particular location what is it?

My must cook meal is my "Trail Tacos".
View attachment 29452

Also I won't go to the beach without a peach. Something my grandfather started 30+ years ago when were kids and it stuck.
Has to be a breakfast fritatta, eggs, bacon, potatoes, peppers, onion, mushrooms, tomato, cheese and a dash of cream. om nom nom nom !

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
Chili Quelles (sp?) was our favorite breakfast this past trip. For lunch we made a cold cut, cheese and fruit platter, and then for dinner, a Tomahawk rib eye and baked potato with brussel sprouts :D After 4 days and 3 nights out in the mtns, we ate well and are always ready for another trip, just so we can eat like that again lol

Attachments

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

As a single going on a 60 day overlanding adventure I am curious about cooking for 1. I tend to eat 1 bigger meal a day and snacks or a sandwich for other meals. I do use leftovers for other meals but making a big cooking project was too much work for me on my last 30 day trip. In the morning I just wanted to hit the road and if it was late when I got camp set up It just didn't seem worth the effort. I also find it hard to get small packages of things like meat, chicken and other things. What suggestions do you have? Prepackaged / precooked foods?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

As a single going on a 60 day overlanding adventure I am curious about cooking for 1. I tend to eat 1 bigger meal a day and snacks or a sandwich for other meals. I do use leftovers for other meals but making a big cooking project was too much work for me on my last 30 day trip. In the morning I just wanted to hit the road and if it was late when I got camp set up It just didn't seem worth the effort. I also find it hard to get small packages of things like meat, chicken and other things. What suggestions do you have? Prepackaged / precooked foods?
For small packages a vacuum sealer is the way to go! buy in bulk, portion, seal and freeze. We used to use a Seal-A-Meal kit form the 70's/80's to make boil in bag meals. Say 6-8 oz of seasoned Chicken on the left and greenbeans or mixed veggies on the right. Boil 1/2 pot of water, toss in and cook Sou-vie in the back country. Nesco or Foodsaver are current brands that come to mind.

If you don't want the extra appliance and you like meat look into Omaha Steaks they used to sell prepackaged single Steaks, pork chops and chicken.

Since you are mentioning multiple week trips I'm assuming that you have a way to keep food cold/frozen.

A a few of suggestions for breakfast:
1) Frozen breakfast burritos Either made at home before the trip or buy from Costco/Sams/Kroger etc. Wrap in 2 layers of heavy gauge Aluminum foil. Can be heated in coals of last nights fire while braking down camp or in a pan on a backpacking stove. Take about 5-10 mins to heat depending on how defrosted they are. (You want them thin and long not like The Chipolte Burrito bombs; Fat ones take too long to heat = burnt outside and cold middles.) Same can be done for foil wrapping Breakfast Hotpockets.
2) Hardboiled eggs, add a little salt and pepper or favorite hot sauce and 2 can keep you going for hours. Cook 6 and the cool for 3-4 days of breakfasts. Slice them throw them on bagged salad greens with a bit of lemon juice for a quick for lunch.
3) Cold Morning, Instant Oatmeal. Heat your water for morning Coffee/Tea an extra cup for your oatmeal. Toss in some fresh fruit, honey, or chocolate to mix it up.

Boort

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

For small packages a vacuum sealer is the way to go! buy in bulk, portion, seal and freeze. We used to use a Seal-A-Meal kit form the 70's/80's to make boil in bag meals. Say 6-8 oz of seasoned Chicken on the left and greenbeans or mixed veggies on the right. Boil 1/2 pot of water, toss in and cook Sou-vie in the back country. Nesco or Foodsaver are current brands that come to mind.

If you don't want the extra appliance and you like meat look into Omaha Steaks they used to sell prepackaged single Steaks, pork chops and chicken.

Since you are mentioning multiple week trips I'm assuming that you have a way to keep food cold/frozen.

A a few of suggestions for breakfast:
1) Frozen breakfast burritos Either made at home before the trip or buy from Costco/Sams/Kroger etc. Wrap in 2 layers of heavy gauge Aluminum foil. Can be heated in coals of last nights fire while braking down camp or in a pan on a backpacking stove. Take about 5-10 mins to heat depending on how defrosted they are. (You want them thin and long not like The Chipolte Burrito bombs; Fat ones take too long to heat = burnt outside and cold middles.) Same can be done for foil wrapping Breakfast Hotpockets.
2) Hardboiled eggs, add a little salt and pepper or favorite hot sauce and 2 can keep you going for hours. Cook 6 and the cool for 3-4 days of breakfasts. Slice them throw them on bagged salad greens with a bit of lemon juice for a quick for lunch.
3) Cold Morning, Instant Oatmeal. Heat your water for morning Coffee/Tea an extra cup for your oatmeal. Toss in some fresh fruit, honey, or chocolate to mix it up.

Boort
Thanks, Fridge, No freezer. Clearly I will shop often. I use lot's of ziplock bags but I have no room for an appliance like a seal a meal.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Thanks, Fridge, No freezer. Clearly I will shop often. I use lot's of ziplock bags but I have no room for an appliance like a seal a meal.
Ziploc used to sell a battery powered hand held vacuum sealer that took zipper bags. Looks like it's no longer sold but continues to work with other zipper bags. I think other makers may have similar more portable units.

With no freezer look to backpackers for more options. Check out Dave Morrow on Youtube or on his site at Dave Morrow Photography – Landscape, Night Sky & Wilderness Photography He is an engineer turned photographer who spends most of his time on the road switching between backpacking and overlanding for his photography. He has had a few videos over the last few years on his methods for food prep and storage for his adventures. Last I saw he was also w/o a fridge. the video that comes to mind is :
Boort

Reactions: DrivingTacoLoco

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Have to agree with some of you. Gotta have my hot links (we've done bear sausages, Laosian sausages, and traditional hot links). All are a must have. On top of that, gotta have my carne asada for the street tacos. The leftovers I throw into next morning's omelet/breakfast burrito.

Reactions: DrivingTacoLoco

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Front country or overlanding with access, definitely steak, potatoes, and assorted veggies.
Backcountry with ultralight gear, we’re talking good old Chili Mac MREs.

Reactions: JeepingMike

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Yes, I have the Coleman Camp Oven and they work great. Bake time varies based on the outside temperature, but the cinnamon rolls took about 10 minutes to bake with an outside temp of 80 degrees. Next time, I’ll try cookies or brownies.

View attachment 162691
Sounds great if making for a group. As I recall they have no preservatives and go stale quickly. I can eat 1 or 2.