What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
From my tailgating days, I'd have to say bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos and steak fajitas. Both are awesome on a chilly football tailgating picnic or equally on a fall camp...

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Do you ever use Dutch oven liners for stuff like that? I've been wanting to try them. I occasionally use parchment paper at home for bacon in the oven an it works great for cleaning up.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I LOVE the aluminum liners in a DO! Clean up is an absolute Joy! Left overs can be put into a cooler with a foil lined lid (if there any left overs)!

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
How do you pack them for traveling cast-iron?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
DO bags, available on Amazon, Sportsman's Warehouse, Wally World, almost anywhere you can buy cast iron pots! Those suckers are heavy enough alone, so an individual bag is perfect! Although I do have a wooden crate I that holds a Cast Iron cook set that has a DO, griddle, skillit, lid lifter and holds some associated cook gear like spatula, tongs, DO liners, etc. I think I picked up the kit at Costco or Sam's Club years ago. Great way to travel with black iron! Need a truck to pull it tho... Lol

Xaye

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Xaye
Last Name
Rij
The best part about camping is cooking meals on wood in the middle of nature. I love scrambled eggs mixed with bacon, veggies, and parmesan. Usually, I don't add any salt or pepper, but a lot of seasoning or fresh parsley/dill. I like to saute veggies like spinach, peppers, and mushrooms to add to the eggs, along with some cheese. Bacon is another great addition to this meal but is hard to prepare well. Click here if you want to see the entire recipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

We always sous-vide a hanger steak medium-rear before leaving. Then heat a cast iron pan on the fire, add butter, garlic, herbs, olive oil. Stir baby potatoes (cut in quarters) until done, then sear the hanger steaks until they reach your desired final doneness. Quick and easy.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
We always sous-vide a hanger steak medium-rear before leaving. Then heat a cast iron pan on the fire, add butter, garlic, herbs, olive oil. Stir baby potatoes (cut in quarters) until done, then sear the hanger steaks until they reach your desired final doneness. Quick and easy.
My kind of chef indeed!