What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

Haggy

Rank VI

Influencer I

Medford, Oregon.
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Hagglund
Member #

Service Branch
Army Guard and USMC
What is that one meal that you must cook on a camping trip?
Also if you must have a certain food item for travel to a particular location what is it?

My must cook meal is my "Trail Tacos".
View attachment 29452

Also I won't go to the beach without a peach. Something my grandfather started 30+ years ago when were kids and it stuck.
Always do a scramble.

But our new thing is Philly cheese steaks lol.

Enthusiast I

Must have everyone's favorite - Baby Back Ribs! Totally delicious from the NinjaFoodi pressure cooker in 20 to 25 minutes. Not the same as over coals etc., but with my seasonings and sauce they are always a winner. Also, I have a new technique taken from my sous vide friends using a propane Kitchen torch to add color and caramelize the sauce. Lookout weekend here I come! Pictures to follow.
Runner up: My camp pizza in the Coleman Oven. (May transition to the NinjaFoodi from the Coleman oven)
Honorable Mention: Tamale casserole
Coming this winter: Tonkotsu ramen with Chashu pork and ajitsuke tamago!

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Dang...really thought I was gonna see a lot more photos...haha
For me it depends where 'bouts I am and what I can find. But fried potatoes and fresh salsa is always base ingredients for most of my meals. Oh...and good bread if I can find it. And beer. And....

Attachments

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Dang...really thought I was gonna see a lot more photos...haha
For me it depends where 'bouts I am and what I can find. But fried potatoes and fresh salsa is always base ingredients for most of my meals. Oh...and good bread if I can find it. And beer. And....
Dang! Thems some mighty fine vittle-pics... Looks like someone was working hard at processing meat and fell asleep on the job! Too funny!

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Dang! Thems some mighty fine vittle-pics... Looks like someone was working hard at processing meat and fell asleep on the job! Too funny!
hey Lee

Yes...open markets can provide a lot of entertainment. And for sure it is a constant reminder of where our food comes from...outside of the realm of processed and packaged food. Free range everything for the most part.

Attachments

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
CLIF granola bars! Quick to grab and munch on, and high in protein and carbohydrates. They come in about 10 different flavors, too. I rarely leave the house without one or two, and when I'm on long trips I bring a couple of boxes of 'em.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I responded to this thread a while ago. Things have changed a bit. I tend to go overboard with cooking at home. On the trail, I keep it easy/simple, flavorful, and it usually ends up being things we don't normally eat at home with the exception of some overlap. Anything in a tortilla or wrap generally goes. Brats are usually a go-to and go surprisingly well in a wrap with veggie toppings and condiments. I've been known to premake some staples for meals such as stir frys or for any sort of taco/burrito filling for any meal. Purely preference since the last thing we want to do is spend a lot of time prepping, cooking, and cleaning up meals.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965