What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

7YODA5

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Texas, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6CHI
I always have coffee and bacon in some form. These where bacon-wrapped jalapenos done over the campfire! We made probably 40 and didn't last 5 min. with 10 -15 people at camp this trip!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_203.jpg

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Depends how I am feeling.........most times steak, onion, peppers over the fire or on occassion some sort of chicken sausage and just simple old packaged mashed taters (just add water). Since it's just me by myself, I usually do all the prep work at camp......keeps my mind occupied rather than listen to every leaf dropping :screamcat: in the wood.

Pi_Baker

Rank II

Advocate II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Alix
Last Name
Penning
I used to do a mean Fettucine in white wine crab sauce on backpacking trips, before Rho turned into a rabbit.

Now it's all about the insane sandwiches. Garlic soft cheeses (think Alouette or Boursin) with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, cheddar, spicy mayo, avocado, and sprouts

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I do not fun a Musthave/gotomeal. I have a friend that pasta omelet AKA Spaghetti and eggs. Left over Spaghetti with red sauce reheated when ada eggs. "You want to have a bit of crunch on the bottom" so he says.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
We have a Davy Crocket pellet smoker made by Green Mountain Grills. 12v power and wifi controlled from my smartphone/tablet. No need to live like an animal unless it involves eating low-n-slow back ribs - my priority. We prep and dry brine them before we leave... Washed down with a nice sipping tequila (if we have no further travelling to do thaat night of course).

Lunch on the road during our excursions, Mountain House chili mac and a hot french press of fresh ground coffee (I keep a fully stocked food & coffee box, with all the trimmings, in the Montero year round, because you never know...). Nothing makes for a more soothing (albeit inconvenient) breakdown like a steaming cup-o-joe while you gather your senses. If you're gonna break down in the middle of nowhere, ya might as well be comfy lol ;)
2 years later, how is the Davy Crockett holding up?
I have been very intrigued by it, very affordable on Amazon right now (under $300) my friends have the 120VAC versions and they have mixed experiences, some of the GMG have failed, some are running like champs.

And as for the Mountain House....oh yeah! We love MH....we eat well at home so indulging in packaged foods is something we enjoy when camping!

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
2 years later, how is the Davy Crockett holding up?
I have been very intrigued by it, very affordable on Amazon right now (under $300) my friends have the 120VAC versions and they have mixed experiences, some of the GMG have failed, some are running like champs.

And as for the Mountain House....oh yeah! We love MH....we eat well at home so indulging in packaged foods is something we enjoy when camping!
Don't use it much of late, but when I do, it chugs right along. On occasion, it failed to connect to the app, or the app won't connect to the smoker. Usually a reboot of the phone sorts it out. Although it's only a minor inconvenience to get up and go look at the smoker lol. The only other issue I've had was due to my own stupidity and letting the hopper run out of pellets during a cook... whoops hahaha. Under $300 is a bargain, even if you don't use the app. Nothing like smoked meat on the trail at the end of the day (when using it as a grill at 500 degrees of course). As a base camp set up without going anywhere for the day, you'll just make anyone near by a little jealous ;)

Once in a while we'll dip into the MH bin, for kicks. Really give the blood pressure meds a run for their money lmao. Everything in moderation they say :) I heard they stopped making the Chili Mac which if true, is disappointing. That's my favorite one.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Once in a while we'll dip into the MH bin, for kicks. Really give the blood pressure meds a run for their money lmao. Everything in moderation they say :) I heard they stopped making the Chili Mac which if true, is disappointing. That's my favorite one.
I just checked, Chili Mac seems to still be listed on their website, however they are sold out of everything currently. I guess people think MH will save them from Covid!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
spam in the mornings.
yes indeed! i fried some SPAM and threw it in an omlet with some wilted spinich and topped it with tomato and avocado and served as a breakfast sandwich. BBE (Best Breakfast Ever) :grinning:

i also do a dish every trip where i make a pot of instant rice and then fry pieces of Spam and add Rotel and black eyed peas, simmer a bit and then add to the rice as a hybrid "Hoppin' John"...EXCELLENT use of Spam!

IMG_1625.JPG

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a friend that loves left over pasta and eggs. " A pasta omelette." He even makes sure there are leftovers from the night before. He'll go with any sauce, red, alfredo, clam, does not matter.

Scott_Milk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

Ever hear of hobo meals? You take ground beef, chopped carrots, diced onions, diced potatoes and whatever spices or hot sauces you want and wrap it all in some oiled foil. Then at camp with a fire, you throw it on some hot coals for about 10 minutes each side. It's amazing and you can prep it all before leaving so it's super simple at camp. You can add whatever you want. I started trying a slice of Velveeta cheese and I quite like it.