What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

JeffG98034

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, Washington
Member #

First night of camping we always have the Hot Mess Skillet
1 lb smoked kielbasa sausage
2 small yellow squash
2 medium red tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 white onion
2 TB vegetable oil
1/2 TB minced garlic
1/2 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning blend optional
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 beer if needed for moisture.

I precut the veggies (except the tomato) and kielbasa and have them in ziplock bags ready to go right in the skillet.
I think I'll give this at home try....

Reactions: Off-Camber

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

First night of camping we always have the Hot Mess Skillet
Looks good, what’s your guess on how many guys this would feed? There’s 10 of us meeting up next weekend and this is probably going to be the Friday night meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hdtrader

Rank 0

Traveler I

My fav would be bacon or sausage , eggs, and toast for breakfast. Lunch and/or dinner would consist of a good steak, potatoes, and beans or hotdogs and hamburgers. Oh...can't forget my coffee always before, during, and after breakfast.

Funny...this is my first post (not counting introduction) and what topic catches my attention...Kitchen, Cooking, and Recipes...lol

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
We have a Davy Crocket pellet smoker made by Green Mountain Grills. 12v power and wifi controlled from my smartphone/tablet. No need to live like an animal unless it involves eating low-n-slow back ribs - my priority. We prep and dry brine them before we leave... Washed down with a nice sipping tequila (if we have no further travelling to do thaat night of course).

Lunch on the road during our excursions, Mountain House chili mac and a hot french press of fresh ground coffee (I keep a fully stocked food & coffee box, with all the trimmings, in the Montero year round, because you never know...). Nothing makes for a more soothing (albeit inconvenient) breakdown like a steaming cup-o-joe while you gather your senses. If you're gonna break down in the middle of nowhere, ya might as well be comfy lol ;)

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
We have a Davy Crocket pellet smoker made by Green Mountain Grills. 12v power and wifi controlled from my smartphone/tablet. No need to live like an animal unless it involves eating low-n-slow back ribs - my priority. We prep and dry brine them before we leave... Washed down with a nice sipping tequila (if we have no further travelling to do thaat night of course).

Lunch on the road during our excursions, Mountain House chili mac and a hot french press of fresh ground coffee (I keep a fully stocked food & coffee box, with all the trimmings, in the Montero year round, because you never know...). Nothing makes for a more soothing (albeit inconvenient) breakdown like a steaming cup-o-joe while you gather your senses. If you're gonna break down in the middle of nowhere, ya might as well be comfy lol ;)
I just looked up the pellet smoker. Veeerrry Interesting. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Carnivore

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
I just looked up the pellet smoker. Veeerrry Interesting. :sunglasses:
We don't take it with us on every trip though. All steel makes it weigh a fair bit. 68 lbs not including the pellets. It produces some fine meals that cause strangers to wander over to see where the aroma is coming from lol. The 12v is what sold us. And it's definitely a "luxury" item considering their cost (over $500 here in Canada but it was a gift from my wife). Definitely a "base camp" thing...

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/davy-crockett-pellet-grill-wifi/

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

TroyDW

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Winters
Member #

Just returned from Grand Teton Wyoming and gotta say WHAT A PLACE. While in the mountains I whipped up what I call Cowboy Potatoes.
I like to cook on a cast iron skillet and usually cook on a gas stove (you can cook this over an open fire but I find it hard to regulate the heat)
Heres what you'll need

2 potatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 small package of white mushrooms
Preferable Sausage ( I use elk cause it's delicious and leaner)
Shredded cheese (I prefer cheddar)
this amount is enough to feed 2 maybe 3 people....depending on how hungry they are ( I'm always hungry, so it may feed more)

I usually heat my skillet to a medium--high heat and usually takes 15-20 minutes to cook.

first, you want to skin your potatoes (unless you don't mind the skin)
next, you'll want to dice all your vegetables and your sausage
next, you'll want to start cooking your potatoes and mushrooms first. you'll know the potatoes are ready when they're a golden brown color and are softer to taste also, your mushrooms will shrink and turn into a grey color.
Next, add your sausage and bell pepper, you're bell pepper will start to curl and also become softer.
Once your meat is heated to the desired taste you'll want to let your meal begin to cool. at this point, I usually like to apply my cheese to the top of the meal (this way it's melted by the time my meal is cool enough to eat)
Finally......ENJOY!!!

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
What is that one meal that you must cook on a camping trip?
Also if you must have a certain food item for travel to a particular location what is it?

My must cook meal is my "Trail Tacos".
View attachment 29452

Also I won't go to the beach without a peach. Something my grandfather started 30+ years ago when were kids and it stuck.
Pink Floyd San Tropez

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

so disappointing, the OP tried to show us.... this is a picture thread !!!

TooGouda

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Utah, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
G
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9JWL
I don't have a pic, but as long as there isn't a fire ban going on, I love to toss some potatoes wrapped in foil into the fire pit, then grill some steak, peppers, and onions on the fire after the potatoes have gotten a good roast time overwith already. Its simple food but it tastes amazing with fire flavor

Reactions: lhoffm4 and 64Trvlr