What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

I love the expedition eats concept. I love marinating some tri-tips In soy sauce Siracha lots of garlic worchestershire sauce with chili powder. Then skewer them up on my Cowboy Kabobs and cook them over the fire Churasco style

Hags

Rank IV
Launch Member

Steward I

Troy, MT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hagerty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7ZKB
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
At least once per trip?
Well at least once per trip, I make a breakfast of french toast, made with cinnamon swirl bread, with all of the fixings.
Also at least one dinner per trip is made up of a decent cut of grilled beef, which ever looks the best at the time, served with grilled Asparagus, and sauteed mushrooms, and if I am able to pick the mushrooms fresh, all the better.
Finally, at least once per trip lunch is leftovers, wrapped in a tortilla.

Reactions: lhoffm4

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I'll be honest, Frito Boats are a MUST for any camping or overland trips. Cheap, easy, quick and delicious. My kids eat it like it's filet minon, as they are usually so tired and amped up the first day, any calories they can get are delicious.

Reactions: GPsGeeps

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I'll be honest, Frito Boats are a MUST for any camping or overland trips. Cheap, easy, quick and delicious. My kids eat it like it's filet minon, as they are usually so tired and amped up the first day, any calories they can get are delicious.
Funny. I associate Frito boats/pies with little league and not camping. Haven't thought about those in years... Might have to pick that stuff up for dinner and see what my GF associates them with.

Boort

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I s
I love the expedition eats concept. I love marinating some tri-tips In soy sauce Siracha lots of garlic worchestershire sauce with chili powder. Then skewer them up on my Cowboy Kabobs and cook them over the fire Churasco style
I second the Tri-Tip idea. I usually cut them up into 1.5-2in cubes and then toss them w/ soy and Montreal seasoning. Throw them on some skewers and you are good to go!
Although I'm originally an East Coast'r, it amazes me that you cant find this cut on the east coast. When I went back a few years ago, I went to 5 stores and no one had them or even knew what they were!

USMC88V20

Rank 0

Traveler I

This thread makes me hungry< and i just ate lunch> However my must have at least once per trip is a ribeye with backed potatoe ( regular or sweet) and squash, all kinds cut up with butter and seasoning wrapped in foil and put near the fire.

Reactions: lhoffm4

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Fajitas are a staple. We do cheat and buy the deli premixed stuff, but it's cheap and ready to go, sometimes we will make it all from scratch.

Breakfast sandwiches with english muffins, egg, sausage and cheese. Simple, but filling.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Fajitas the first night always, pre cut all the veggies then cut up chicken and marinate it in italian salad dressing. Cook the meat and veggies then put the tortillas on top to steam. Fast and easy. Second night Steak as long as there are no fire restrictions.

Reactions: Guillermo Palacios

RedRockKY

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vine grove ,Ky
Member #

Definitely a big pot of chili , cooked a day or two before (chili is better after it sits for a day , let’s the flavors soak in) put into ziplock bags and froze/refrigerated . Throw them in the cold storage box/cooler or in the arb fridge/freezer . Heat it all up when at the campsite , grill up a few grilled cheese sandwiches , throw back some beer . Bam! . I’m ready for a trip now !!!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Definitely a big pot of chili , cooked a day or two before (chili is better after it sits for a day , let’s the flavors soak in) put into ziplock bags and froze/refrigerated . Throw them in the cold storage box/cooler or in the arb fridge/freezer . Heat it all up when at the campsite , grill up a few grilled cheese sandwiches , throw back some beer . Bam! . I’m ready for a trip now !!!
One of the guys I camp with does a big pot the first night on the trail and then saves the leftovers for the second night. It works pretty good for him.

brian0128

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Burnie, Maryland
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ogle
Member #

First night of camping we always have the Hot Mess Skillet
1 lb smoked kielbasa sausage
2 small yellow squash
2 medium red tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 white onion
2 TB vegetable oil
1/2 TB minced garlic
1/2 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning blend optional
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 beer if needed for moisture.

I precut the veggies (except the tomato) and kielbasa and have them in ziplock bags ready to go right in the skillet.

OldManOffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

I'm with RedRockKY, chili is a camping must! Good beer also, NO Natty Light! Bad experience with that............sorry North Carolina hillside!

Reactions: RedRockKY

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
First night of camping we always have the Hot Mess Skillet
1 lb smoked kielbasa sausage
2 small yellow squash
2 medium red tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 white onion
2 TB vegetable oil
1/2 TB minced garlic
1/2 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning blend optional
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 beer if needed for moisture.

I precut the veggies (except the tomato) and kielbasa and have them in ziplock bags ready to go right in the skillet.
Living the dream out there man! Good looking dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk