What is your favorite nonessential rig add-on?

• HTML tutorial

freedomomelet

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Nebraska
Launch Member

Influencer I

Springfield, NE
Member #

I suppose in this era a phone mount might not be considered “non-essential,” but of all the stuff I’ve done to my rig this is the one that somehow makes me feel the most like Joe Cool.

Hey @RedRob any more feedback on this setup? This looks ideal for my Taco as well.... Thanks much!

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Hey @RedRob any more feedback on this setup? This looks ideal for my Taco as well.... Thanks much!
It’s working quite well. I made a couple of little notches and ran a USB behind the radio from the port to the mount so the cord doesn’t dangle so much. The mounting point never moves but the phone oscillates on the end of the arm a small amount on rough roads. It is very secure and it doesn’t bother me at all, but I used the plastic RAM components and I think there’s some chance that using the metal components would reduce or eliminate that. I’m a pretty fussy guy and want my stuff just right all the time, so if I’m happy I think most people will be as well. Give it a go!

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
For most people, this would normally be considered non-essential, but because Jeep JK's came with no backup cameras and backing up can sometimes be unsafe, installing one was a big priority for me. I know there are kits out there, but none of those solutions worked for me, since I intentionally purchased a totally stripped down model with no fancy radio, plus I use a spacer with my spare tire, which orients my spare 180° from where the slot/hole in the wheel was designed to be. I decided to cobble a kit together myself. I bought a license plate relocation kit from JKS, a cheap mirror/monitor and camera off of eBay, then fabricated a camera mount out of whatever scrap metal I had laying around the garage. The entire setup cost me about $115. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
Portable Bike Stand. Washing bikes, Fixing Bikes, and it helps lots of other people who have the same issues as me!

ryanjohnsonhunt

New Zealand Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

My onboard pressurised water. View attachment 82829View attachment 82830View attachment 82831View attachment 82832View attachment 82833View attachment 82834
I modified my stock Jeep JK rear bumper to make it a 23L water tank. 2 lines (one from each side of the bumper in case parking on a slope) feed into a 12V marine washdown pump, which used a pressure switch to feed into a regular hose fitting mounted into the tire well of the rear left wheel (we park on the left of the rd here in NZ). I keep a short length of hose with a regular hose gun in the back of the Jeep. Great for hosing down salt water from under the chassis, dirty feet, camp showers, and drawing a crowd!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jorrie

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

How do you like them so far? Any complaints?
No complaints. I need to see how it works in the wild. It rolls so, so smooth though.

One thing I would remind everyone is that you sacrifice storage volume for storage convenience when you use a drawer system. I likely would not have considered drawers if I did not have a full size pickup.

Right now, I keep enough room in the left drawer to put my laptop backpack in (this is actually my favorite use case). One of the challenges of a truck is there is nowhere to put you valuables that aren't a broken window away. As a manager of a security engineering team, my team would never let me live it down if I got my laptop stolen. With a locking tailgate there is no way to get to the backpack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

No complaints. I need to see how it works in the wild. It rolls so, so smooth though.

One thing I would remind everyone is that you sacrifice storage volume for storage convenience when you use a drawer system. I likely would not have considered drawers if I did not have a full size pickup.

Right now, I keep enough room in the left drawer to put my laptop backpack in (this is actually my favorite use case). One of the challenges of a truck is there is nowhere to put you valuables that aren't a broken window away. As a manager of a security engineering team, my team would never let me live it down if I got my laptop stolen. With a locking tailgate there is no way to get to the backpack.

It does make for a great secure option. My only problem is that my tailgate cant lock. So i had to add extra locks to my drawer system.