What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Have been on the look out for a great kinetic rope. About all that is missing from the recovery setup.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Bought another Ham radio for my home, also a Kenwood TM-V71A. I can rotate it from my home to my other daily driver.
What did you end up getting...

My next radio purchase is going to be a FTDX10 by Yaesu to replace my Icom IC7100 in the shack... then looking for a simple 2 band 70cm/2m radio for the shack as well.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
What did you end up getting...

My next radio purchase is going to be a FTDX10 by Yaesu to replace my Icom IC7100 in the shack... then looking for a simple 2 band 70cm/2m radio for the shack as well.
I'm getting the same Kenwood TM-V71A radio that's in my rig. Since I like the simplicity of the menus and features I just got the same. The home shack radios are very pricy and I don't have the desk real estate for all that.

Reactions: DMS1 and M Rose

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Not specfiically Jeep related, but just bought a new trailer Black Series Patron, and had to buy a brake controller.imagejpeg_0.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: RoarinRow

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

After posting the tires I realized I had to buy a bed step to get in the back now so I guess that is my last purchase. Also not sure why my thumbnails are working.

bed step sm.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Picked up a 459 Krawler adventure trailer!!!!!

159302402_113138037393792_1439545039181243200_n.jpg

It looks tiny on the RV-pad, lol. It'll probably go in the garage, but my brother-in-law had to pick it up for me as I'm down in the bay for work. I have power on the RV-pad, so if I do keep it out here I'll hook it up and get a good cover for it. I suppose once it goes on the matching wheels and 35"s it might not fit in the garage anyway.

-TJ

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Picked up a 459 Krawler adventure trailer!!!!!

View attachment 190716

It looks tiny on the RV-pad, lol. It'll probably go in the garage, but my brother-in-law had to pick it up for me as I'm down in the bay for work. I have power on the RV-pad, so if I do keep it out here I'll hook it up and get a good cover for it. I suppose once it goes on the matching wheels and 35"s it might not fit in the garage anyway.

-TJ
I like it but I have bad knees. LOL

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I like it but I have bad knees. LOL
Yeah, with the height of my WJ a RTT wasn't really an option. I know I've said before I'm perfectly happy with a ground tent, but then this happened. ;) BTW it did come with a Max Coupler and all sorts of other good accessories too.

-TJ

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Yeah, with the height of my WJ a RTT wasn't really an option. I know I've said before I'm perfectly happy with a ground tent, but then this happened. ;) BTW it did come with a Max Coupler and all sorts of other good accessories too.

-TJ
I think having a trailer would be nice, but I feel it would be used in only 25% of my adventures, which is fine as those times would be with my wife and our travels would be a lot more tame then when I go out with the guys to explore deeper into the back country. (By myself I just sleep inside my rig).
We like ground tenting but there is something to be said about having more room in my rig and a trailer that packed and 80% ready to hitch up and go. Only needing a few things instead of loading up your intire rig.

Some day I'll get my trailer done, (when? maybe when I run out of projects on my rig).

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I think having a trailer would be nice, but I feel it would be used in only 25% of my adventures, which is fine as those times would be with my wife and our travels would be a lot more tame then when I go out with the guys to explore deeper into the back country. (By myself I just sleep inside my rig).
We like ground tenting but there is something to be said about having more room in my rig and a trailer that packed and 80% ready to hitch up and go. Only needing a few things instead of loading up your intire rig.

Some day I'll get my trailer done, (when? maybe when I run out of projects on my rig).
That's definitely my concern/question at this point: will I be able to use it on enough trips to justify the cost. I have sort of two different groups of friends that wheel/camp/Overland/whatever. One group will never do anything I can't take this trailer on. The other group, I don't even know if my Jeep by itself is "enough." I want to go run the Rubicon, mostly because it's been a life-long dream and I live ~1.5 hours from it - but overall I'm sort of done with that type of wheeling at this stage of my life. It's more about getting out in the woods, away from tons of people etc. than it is spending all day to go 2 miles. Back in our more hardcore wheelin' days it wasn't a trip until we spent the better part of a day fixing a broken rig, getting something back on its wheels, and generally MacGyver'in some sort of mess back together.

Now, that just sounds like stress. Will we make it out before dark? Will we even get the broken rig out at all? WTF are we going to do with this rig that is all the way down the hardest trail and totally broken? Etc. Etc. Etc.

My hope is that this trailer means I go out on "simple" Overland type trips way more. Like you said, leave it 80% (or more) packed all the time. There's really no reason I can't have it 100% ready for a trip at all times. It has plenty of room for everything we need to stay in it all times (yes, that means buying dedicated clothes to leave in it - but that's way worth it IMHO). I could leave some jugs of drinking water in it and enough dry goods/food to make it a weekend without even shopping if we really wanted. Sure, most trips we'd stop off and get some groceries to throw in the fridge/freezer for better meals - but it won't be required.

-TJ

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

-TJ
I think the max coupler is really needed on those sketchy up and down narrow trail roads. Sooner or later I will get one for my 6x10 cargo trailer conversion for when I dare to go on more sketchy roads.