What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

The last thing I bought was my 3rd (technically) 4Runner. I’ve had a 2000 4runner, a 2001 4runner - for one nightmarish weekend (thus the inclusion of the word “technically”) and now I have a new-to-me 2000 lifted, shifted, locked, and loved 4Runner. It’s a beaut!

I’m planning on buying a new tent as soon as my old one proves inadequate. That may be a while, it’s a good one.

I’m actually here as a new member of this forum because of Overland Bound’s YouTube video about using an easy-to-set-up ground tent instead of a roof-top-tent. The common sense of that was mind boggling and very comfortable to me as a newbie trying to get my head around the staggering costs of “overlanding”.
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Shannon

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Very cool. How easy is it to take on/ off or open hood?
Oh. I used shackles at both ends of the cables. Loosen the turnbuckle, loosen the shackle screw and off it comes. Fast and easy. I have been using an Allen wrench in the hole in the shackle screw to tighten and loosen. That's my only concern. I'd like to find a clip that stays on.

The reactions I've been getting are pretty funny. Clothes line? has been the most common. Now I need a pole to raise the front attachment point so I can use it as a clothes line. LOL

Reactions: RoarinRow

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The last thing I bought was my 3rd (technically) 4Runner. I’ve had a 2000 4runner, a 2001 4runner - for one nightmarish weekend (thus the inclusion of the word “technically”) and now I have a new-to-me 2000 lifted, shifted, locked, and loved 4Runner. It’s a beaut!

I’m planning on buying a new tent as soon as my old one proves inadequate. That may be a while, it’s a good one.

I’m actually here as a new member of this forum because of Overland Bound’s YouTube video about using an easy-to-set-up ground tent instead of a roof-top-tent. The common sense of that was mind boggling and very comfortable to me as a newbie trying to get my head around the staggering costs of “overlanding”.
THE COST DOESN'T HAVE TO BE STAGGERING. That is unless you make it staggering. You can find everything you need at a thrift store, or swap meet to start..
As far as transportation, it can be anything. You may not be able to go everywhere at first.
The key is to add and improve as you go !
Stick with your budget.

Reactions: Shannon

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Oh. I used shackles at both ends of the cables. Loosen the turnbuckle, loosen the shackle screw and off it comes. Fast and easy. I have been using an Allen wrench in the hole in the shackle screw to tighten and loosen. That's my only concern. I'd like to find a clip that stays on.

The reactions I've been getting are pretty funny. Clothes line? has been the most common. Now I need a pole to raise the front attachment point so I can use it as a clothes line. LOL
If your parked in the sun it can act as a sun shade with the addition of a light weight tarp
Stretched across for shade.

EricGagne

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lachine, Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

I bought the parts over the last few months and put it all together yesterday.

Two Worthington 4.5 gallons propane cylinders

20190927_161218.jpg

A Rock-Slide Engineering EZ Rack Kit to mount then cylinders on the spare tire. I had a local trailer shop make me 2 brackets to bolt on at an angle to add a bit of support under the tanks.

20190927_163831.jpg

Two Powertank propane cylinder mounts, they have a model that is made specifically to be compatible with a number of cylinders including mine.

20190927_161912.jpg

And here's the result mounted on the Jeep. In case you notice they're not at the same height it's setup like this. The on on the right needs to be a bit higher for the locking clip on the Powertank bracket to clear the hinge and on the left I set it a bit lower to make it easier to open the tail gate. I will also need to be carefull when I open the tail gate to make sure the cylinder on the right doesn't hit and break my tail light cover.

Point Blur_Sep282019_124155.jpg

Next purchase: Probably tail light guards :D

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I bought the parts over the last few months and put it all together yesterday.

Two Worthington 4.5 gallons propane cylinders

View attachment 119570

A Rock-Slide Engineering EZ Rack Kit to mount then cylinders on the spare tire. I had a local trailer shop make me 2 brackets to bolt on at an angle to add a bit of support under the tanks.

View attachment 119571

Two Powertank propane cylinder mounts, they have a model that is made specifically to be compatible with a number of cylinders including mine.

View attachment 119572

And here's the result mounted on the Jeep. In case you notice they're not at the same height it's setup like this. The on on the right needs to be a bit higher for the locking clip on the Powertank bracket to clear the hinge and on the left I set it a bit lower to make it easier to open the tail gate. I will also need to be carefull when I open the tail gate to make sure the cylinder on the right doesn't hit and break my tail light cover.

View attachment 119573

Next purchase: Probably tail light guards :D
Curious, why do you need so much propane ?

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
IMG_5496[1].JPGIMG_5497[1].JPGIMG_5498[1].JPGIMG_5499[1].JPG

I bought these light guards for Buckaroo, I'm not sure that the lights wont be smashed to pieces if they get knocked.
I'll look for something else to buy which don't actually attach to the lenses.
live and learn.

Reactions: roots66

EricGagne

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lachine, Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

Curious, why do you need so much propane ?
Camp fires are often forbidden in many regions of Quebec when there's a risk a wild fires. I carry a propane camp fire which consumes a faire amount. These two cylinders give me about 10 lbs of propane, that's enough to run the campfire 3 to 5 nights in a row.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Camp fires are often forbidden in many regions of Quebec when there's a risk a wild fires. I carry a propane camp fire which consumes a faire amount. These two cylinders give me about 10 lbs of propane, that's enough to run the campfire 3 to 5 nights in a row.
I see, thank you. My one bottle last for so long I couldn't understand why so much would be needed. Very seldom do we get a no fire situation in the reagion I live.

Reactions: Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
it's becoming increasingly difficult to light campfires in UK too.
That looks like a good solution for your vehicle, something I may have to think about in the future.

Reactions: RoarinRow

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Not nearly as exciting as most of the rest of the stuff here, but I got a ZJ windshield washer fluid bottle to retrofit into my WJ. The WJ has the bottle down in the front bumper, and I hit the pumps and wiring when flexing offroad. The ZJ unit will fit up under the hood and accept the stock pumps, sensor, etc.

zjwash.jpg

-TJ