What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Mountain Vista Fabrication Dana 44a skid plate is on it's way. Now saving up for the Aussie Locker. For '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo upgrades. Addressing the first two weaknesses of the WJ: Strengthening the cooling system to a redundant setup (replacing hydraulic fan setup with '99 mechanical and electrical fan) and stabilizing and protecting the aluminum rear diff (building junkyard Dana 44HD with truss, skid, and locker to swap in since my 44HD is in bad shape). I'll take pictures and do a build thread at some point.

Reactions: roots66

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Also, being commited to getting as close as I can to zero-waste and not using single-use items, got a roll of 100 2.8 gal size biocompostable bags to use for food and other odorous waste instead of the typical grocery/walmart type plastic bags. These will be handy for hanging inside the back door of my van, galley use, and for light trash pickup as well. Unlike regular plastic bags, these are recyclable, compostable, and will break down within a year.
Do they hide the smell better or something?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Do they hide the smell better or something?
No, it's not about odor as far as type of bag in this case, it's about not feeding the landfills with plastic that does not biodegrade.

I used to use the regular walmart or grocery plastic bag inside my rear van door for food waste (instead of using my spare tire bag to hold the plastic bags), and now use the biocompostable bags a lot more as just more eco-conscious. I got tired of picking up plastic bag after plastic bag, and the shreds of bags left behind, when doing trash pickups.

I'm rigging a more permanent bag to the inside of my van back door for putting the biocompostable bags in, much like using the spare tire bag for smaller bags for recycling and trash. I just won't put food waste in the spare tire bag as it too easily attracts animals to camp.

As mentioned elsewhere in the bear-proofing threads, using dry bags meant for canoeing and kayaking to put your food waste bag into is a good solution to reduce/eliminate odor.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

We use the BOS for waste and Opsak for food storage within the coolers. The do keep the smells contained.

View attachment 111846View attachment 111847
Never knew about the BOS bags and may get some for storing and re-use, not so much for disposal. I imagine they don't degrade too well, being as rugged and thick as they seem. I'm on a #dontfeedthelandfill kick these days and trying to reduce using materials that end up in the environment for years and years, especially single-use materials.

I know it wasn't aimed at only me, but thanks for the tip on those!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Reactions: 4wheelspulling

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

A full suspension lift kit from Rubicon express just arrived, 2,5" lift with additional adjustable front trackbar and front lower controlarms for geometry correction. Got the adjustable remote reservoir shocks, adjustability was key factor because the load varies from daily use to Overland use...
Added a Pic of the shocks

IMG_20190815_171234~2.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
A full suspension lift kit from Rubicon express just arrived, 2,5" lift with additional adjustable front trackbar and front lower controlarms for geometry correction. Got the adjustable remote reservoir shocks, adjustability was key factor because the load varies from daily use to Overland use...
Just can't resize a photo to upload it.
Will you install everything your self ?

Reactions: MazeVX

7YODA5

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Texas, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6CHI
The last thing I purchased was a Pelican 20 cooler, took it out last weekend in the 100+ Texas heat and it performed admirably. Keep beer steaks and bacon cold. Just wish the 20 had a drain bung. Next will be a Skottle hopefully.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
A mattress from REI for a good nights sleep and a good quality camp fry pan. My walmart special $6 teflon coated camp fry pan started pealing teflon during the first use!
Next purchase.......hhhhmmmm to many things I need/want LOL!
Be sure and check with the wife before UPS arrives or she may not sign for them and it might be a cold winter sleeping in your rig :- ( LOL

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Be sure and check with the wife before UPS arrives or she may not sign for them and it might be a cold winter sleeping in your rig :- ( LOL
LOL Thanks for the reminder. Semi fortunate to be currently single. I can get away with too darn much these days!