What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Machete. Seems to get good reviews - it arrives for pickup at Home Depot on Thursday. We'll see how it does.
View attachment 109024
Bad ass looks but the one in sportsman's guide had very bad reviews when heavily used. Something to do with the handle which is the part I liked best. Hope yours holds up ok.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Bad ass looks but the one in sportsman's guide had very bad reviews when heavily used. Something to do with the handle which is the part I liked best. Hope yours holds up ok.
Well this one has a full Tang and the handle is heavy-duty polymer molded around and through the Tang so I don't see why it wouldn't hold up. I guess we'll see.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Is this the one you saw? It's the only similar one I can find on sportsman's guide: United Cutlery Colombian Survival Bolo Machete - 706789, Saws, Axes & Machetes at Sportsman's Guide
That looks like it but this one has a good rating. It was a couple of years ago that I was looking. I do like the shielded finger cover. I bought a good machete without the shield but now after seeing your I will go back and get one like yours. Is yours 26" long ? I actually like the looks of your home depo knife better than the sportsman's guide knife.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

That looks like it but this one has a good rating. It was a couple of years ago that I was looking. I do like the shielded finger cover. I bought a good machete without the shield but now after seeing your I will go back and get one like yours. Is yours 26" long ? I actually like the looks of your home depo knife better than the sportsman's guide knife.
I think the blade on the Coast one is 14", which is a bit short for certain applications, but I plan to use it for clearing overgrown trails, so it should be good

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think the blade on the Coast one is 14", which is a bit short for certain applications, but I plan to use it for clearing overgrown trails, so it should be good
I use mine to make kindlin, handier than an ax and makes finer shavings. The long blade is really good for cutting low hanging branches on overgrown trails.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I use mine to make kindlin, handier than an ax and makes finer shavings. The long blade is really good for cutting low hanging branches on overgrown trails.
I could try it for kindling, but the sawback might make that difficult. We get massive overgrowth of brambles, devil's club and other nasty weeds around here, so it's nice to be able to slash those away from trails without touching them. I might post a review once I get the chance to use it a bit.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I bought one of the Thermarest Mondoking XXL sleeping pads for the Colorado trip and man is that thing awesome! It took forever to inflate the first time but after that it would fill up fast and slept a lot better than my old air mattress. Probably gonna have to get another for the wife once she tries it out.

Mr.Cade

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
I bought one of those ESP Truck Accessories underseat lock boxes for my Crewmax. Can't wait to install it.
Thank God for groupbuy discounts.

Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
This is an ice cooler right ? What do you do with the melted ice contaminating your food storage. Fine for drinks but not a choice for lunch meats and other open containers in the cooler. What about if you are dispersed camping for up to two weeks and 50 miles from an ice source. Yes the price is good and they hold ice for up to 7 days (sometime) but they are within $100 of a compressor type refer. The investment doesn't make since to me because of my extended stays in the boon docks and the water problem with ice coolers.
Who still uses ice? We use Koolit ice packs. They are the exact ones our local hospitals use to keep organs cold during transportation. (got mine from the Heart Hospital of Austin) These stay frozen for days, don't take up as much space, and do not melt into water. So, there is zero contamination and they are reusable. 95% of our food is canned/boxed and goes into the larger cooler. Not to stay cold, but to be secured, because I can't guarantee every place we go has an onsite bear box. We plan out our meals well in advance so the cold items get used before they thaw. Cold food is NEVER stored in open or reusable containers. They are always portioned out, pre-cooked, vacuum sealed, and frozen ahead of time. Then they get put into the smaller cooler to stay fresh. This makes them last longer, makes prepping meals simpler, makes food storage more organized, means we only open the cooler once per meal for the exact amount of food we need, and it prevents waste since we don't have leftovers to store. With three people camping at any given time, the investment of a dedicated fridge does not make sense to me as I do not have the extra room for one, they are more expensive, not as secure, requires a power source to operate, does not store enough food, and only keeps food cool and not cold . As for extended stays, due to my job and my kid's school, we will never be gone longer than a week at any time, so I don't need to worry about storing cold food long term. Just like RTT vs ground tents, everyone's needs are different and this setup works perfect for us, even if it doesn't for others.

IMAG0863.jpg

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just bought a new set of wheels and axle for my off-road trailer. . .

trailerwheels_9321-1000.jpg

Actually, they're for an off-road canoe trailer I'm making, so I can haul my 14' Nomad Hornbeck behind my bike over dirt trails to put-in spots.

trailerwheels_9322-1000.jpg

Next to buy will be some galv conduit, maybe PVC, perhaps some oak to experiment with different carriage assemblies to better cradle the canoe.

Long term will be a design that allows me to convert the dolly from canoe hauler to flat cargo with shallow, removable or fold-in, sides for hauling overnight gear, firewood, bushcraft stuff, etc.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Just picked up a Lifesaver jerry can water filtration system. This thing will filter 5000 gallons of pond water to drinking water and is portable. Also can be pressurized to use as shower or dish washing with its nozzle that comes with. Go to YouTube and Maxx Powell has a code for 30% off and a review. Important to note that this filters well enough to irrigate wounds. Looking forward to using it but most importantly going prepared. 20190725_175753.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just picked up a Lifesaver jerry can water filtration system. This thing will filter 5000 gallons of pond water to drinking water and is portable. Also can be pressurized to use as shower or dish washing with its nozzle that comes with. Go to YouTube and Maxx Powell has a code for 30% off and a review. Important to note that this filters well enough to irrigate wounds. Looking forward to using it but most importantly going prepared. View attachment 109291
They're great and highly regarded, @Chadlyb - I have the LifeSaver 20000 myself and know a bunch of folks who use theirs on adventures down through Mexico and Central America.

One thing to watch with filters on some of these is that they like, once wet, to stay wet. A lot of great info on these and other product on the ICON LifeSaver website.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Who still uses ice? We use Koolit ice packs. They are the exact ones our local hospitals use to keep organs cold during transportation. (got mine from the Heart Hospital of Austin) These stay frozen for days, don't take up as much space, and do not melt into water. So, there is zero contamination and they are reusable. 95% of our food is canned/boxed and goes into the larger cooler. Not to stay cold, but to be secured, because I can't guarantee every place we go has an onsite bear box. We plan out our meals well in advance so the cold items get used before they thaw. Cold food is NEVER stored in open or reusable containers. They are always portioned out, pre-cooked, vacuum sealed, and frozen ahead of time. Then they get put into the smaller cooler to stay fresh. This makes them last longer, makes prepping meals simpler, makes food storage more organized, means we only open the cooler once per meal for the exact amount of food we need, and it prevents waste since we don't have leftovers to store. With three people camping at any given time, the investment of a dedicated fridge does not make sense to me as I do not have the extra room for one, they are more expensive, not as secure, requires a power source to operate, does not store enough food, and only keeps food cool and not cold . As for extended stays, due to my job and my kid's school, we will never be gone longer than a week at any time, so I don't need to worry about storing cold food long term. Just like RTT vs ground tents, everyone's needs are different and this setup works perfect for us, even if it doesn't for others.

View attachment 109275
You sound very well organized. Yes, everyone has different needs and we have different solutions for those needs. Being single I have plenty of storage and plenty of power for electronic equipment. I have yet to select a method for cold storage, I just know I would prefer to not have an ice chest. Yet I can see spending $500-$1000 for a compressor type ref. I hear nothing but complaints about thermo electric type refers. not keeping things cold enough if the ambient temperature is 80 degrees or more. My camping will be a disbursed type and possibly for as long as 14 to 30 days st a time. Im hoping there are others who have solved this problem and will clue me in. Thank you for your thoughtful input.

Reactions: roots66

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just picked up a Lifesaver jerry can water filtration system. This thing will filter 5000 gallons of pond water to drinking water and is portable. Also can be pressurized to use as shower or dish washing with its nozzle that comes with. Go to YouTube and Maxx Powell has a code for 30% off and a review. Important to note that this filters well enough to irrigate wounds. Looking forward to using it but most importantly going prepared. View attachment 109291
Very informative info. Thank you very much

Reactions: Chadlyb