What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Here is my brand new, bought 7 years ago, new and finally got it working today, Portable/ On board, air compressor system! Bought the ARB Twin Air Compressor to go in one of my many Jeep projects, way back. Then I thought I should have it in my Dodge Cummins 4x4 truck, then my diesel Cherokee Jeep. Now, I am running a 4Runner too. Could never decide and follow through with the install in any of my vehicles! So, came up with the idea to make my air compressor portable, and use it in all my vehicles. Yes, ARB makes a completely portable version. Yes, I could have bought the right factory wiring harness. But that makes too much sense! Besides, spending more money, to build my own system, than just buying it would not be as fun. So, today it is finally working!! And for the couple of weeks trying to make it run, I missed a little Red wire with a Yellow strip on it. The directions said this wire goes to the ignition. I thought so the switch would light up right? Well, I was stumped trying to get the compressor to run. After many try’s and checking everything had juice, I put the Red/Yellow wire to power and my compressor started working! Okay, you can laugh at me! And laugh at the working setup, that’s okay too. It works! Vance.
View attachment 108915View attachment 108916
Hey you want to send me the blue print on that box looks better than the bag I have mine in lol

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Love the Lifetime coolers. Not expensive, durable, and on the list of approved storage for National Parks/Forests.
This is an ice cooler right ? What do you do with the melted ice contaminating your food storage. Fine for drinks but not a choice for lunch meats and other open containers in the cooler. What about if you are dispersed camping for up to two weeks and 50 miles from an ice source. Yes the price is good and they hold ice for up to 7 days (sometime) but they are within $100 of a compressor type refer. The investment doesn't make since to me because of my extended stays in the boon docks and the water problem with ice coolers.

Reactions: DoggMan1163

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Love the Lifetime coolers. Not expensive, durable, and on the list of approved storage for National Parks/Forests.
Good for weekend trips. I keep mine in the truck all the time just to store grocery items that need to be cold until I get home. For any extended trips I would still get a proper fridge, budget allowed.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Dometic make some awesome trail fridges [emoji109]
I'm aware of that brand. They make only expensive compressor type refers. I'm interested in finding a thermoelectric type refer. That does a good job. Thermoelectric refs sell for under $200 usually. That's a fraction of what a Dometic sells for.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Can you explain why you feel the need for an axle truss ?
One weakness of the WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee differential used behind the V8 is the aluminum housing. The housing can flex, throwing off the ring and pinion setup. The factory user manual even has a warning to not jack the vehicle up by the housing. The differential in my WJ is worn out junk, so I found a donor at the pick and pull junkyard to overhaul and install while I still daily drive the vehicle. I figured while I am there, I'll address the weak points by adding the truss and a skid plate. The aluminum housing also does not tolerate bouncing off rocks!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I'm aware of that brand. They make only expensive compressor type refers. I'm interested in finding a thermoelectric type refer. That does a good job. Thermoelectric refs sell for under $200 usually. That's a fraction of what a Dometic sells for.
Thermoelectric coolers are really just a chiller. They will not cool perishables to refrigerator safe temps. Here in the SW, even with some 'blue ice' pacs put in, the temp only managed to drop into the high 40's. Good for cooling drinks, but not something for safe food storage. Mine is a Coleman model that was offered as a promotion piece when Marlboro could still do public advertising. As a secondary cooler it would be okay, but I would still have to rely on a ice cooler, until I could afford or justify the expense of a true dual-zone travel fridge.

As a side note, I really like the Snowmaster offerings, as I think they are a better deal, once you get past the initial cost. Thermo travel bag, and included accessories that oher companies charge for, they include. So final price is comparable and I see more world travelers using them over other brands. The ARB top shelf offering is overpriced, especially as.....dual zone.... types gain in popularity.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
One weakness of the WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee differential used behind the V8 is the aluminum housing. The housing can flex, throwing off the ring and pinion setup. The factory user manual even has a warning to not jack the vehicle up by the housing. The differential in my WJ is worn out junk, so I found a donor at the pick and pull junkyard to overhaul and install while I still daily drive the vehicle. I figured while I am there, I'll address the weak points by adding the truss and a skid plate. The aluminum housing also does not tolerate bouncing off rocks!
I wasn't aware of that issue with jeeps. Why don't you put in a 9" Ford, and not worry about breakage ? Your reason is certainly sound !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thermoelectric coolers are really just a chiller. They will not cool perishables to refrigerator safe temps. Here in the SW, even with some 'blue ice' pacs put in, the temp only managed to drop into the high 40's. Good for cooling drinks, but not something for safe food storage. Mine is a Coleman model that was offered as a promotion piece when Marlboro could still do public advertising. As a secondary cooler it would be okay, but I would still have to rely on a ice cooler, until I could afford or justify the expense of a true dual-zone travel fridge.

As a side note, I really like the Snowmaster offerings, as I think they are a better deal, once you get past the initial cost. Thermo travel bag, and included accessories that oher companies charge for, they include. So final price is comparable and I see more world travelers using them over other brands. The ARB top shelf offering is overpriced, especially as.....dual zone.... types gain in popularity.
Good info. I know there are several compressor type refs that do a great job, you just don't hear anything about them here in the OB ranks. I will check out your snowmaster. Thank you

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I wasn't aware of that issue with jeeps. Why don't you put in a 9" Ford, and not worry about breakage ? Your reason is certainly sound !
Most Jeeps do not have the issue as I believe only Grand Cherokees used the aluminum housing for a certain year span. The 44HD will be more than adequate for 32 inch tires, Aussie locker, and occasional trail use once the aluminum housing is dealt with. I have the means (tools, skill) to perform the overhaul and mods mentioned, but not the resources to buy or build a fully custom setup. The 3 link suspension on the WJ is also very unique, and grafting anything else into it is pretty serious work!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Most Jeeps do not have the issue as I believe only Grand Cherokees used the aluminum housing for a certain year span. The 44HD will be more than adequate for 32 inch tires, Aussie locker, and occasional trail use once the aluminum housing is dealt with. I have the means (tools, skill) to perform the overhaul and mods mentioned, but not the resources to buy or build a fully custom setup. The 3 link suspension on the WJ is also very unique, and grafting anything else into it is pretty serious work!
Sounds like your on top of it. I'm glad you have an out, it just seemed a bit overdo until you told me about the aluminum housing thing. Good luck with your update mods.