What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak. I want the ability to get on the water while overlanding and unwilling to go with a traditional kayak because I don't want to strap/unstrap it all the time. These seem like a good deal for $200.

Reactions: Road and roots66

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

They're great and highly regarded, @Chadlyb - I have the LifeSaver 20000 myself and know a bunch of folks who use theirs on adventures down through Mexico and Central America.

One thing to watch with filters on some of these is that they like, once wet, to stay wet. A lot of great info on these and other product on the ICON LifeSaver website.
Thank you for the heads up and link.

Reactions: Road

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Just picked up a Lifesaver jerry can water filtration system. This thing will filter 5000 gallons of pond water to drinking water and is portable. Also can be pressurized to use as shower or dish washing with its nozzle that comes with. Go to YouTube and Maxx Powell has a code for 30% off and a review. Important to note that this filters well enough to irrigate wounds. Looking forward to using it but most importantly going prepared. View attachment 109291
I checked this out and the cost is outrageously high, discounted @ $189.00 each. I'll pass on this expense for some other way to have drinkable water. Boiling sound good now to me. If it were a 20 gallon tank it might be worth it but not for just 3 gallons of water at a time.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just got two 50' rolls of super flexible 10AWG, silicone coated, to make a couple extensions so I can get my panels further out into sun. Glad they showed up now so I can make 'em up while lake camping next week.

10AWG-stranded-silicone.jpg

Also, being commited to getting as close as I can to zero-waste and not using single-use items, got a roll of 100 2.8 gal size biocompostable bags to use for food and other odorous waste instead of the typical grocery/walmart type plastic bags. These will be handy for hanging inside the back door of my van, galley use, and for light trash pickup as well. Unlike regular plastic bags, these are recyclable, compostable, and will break down within a year.

If anyone wants to try a couple, DM your contact info (might not see it for a couple weeks) and I'll send them out.

unni-biobags.png

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Just got two 50' rolls of super flexible 10AWG, silicone coated, to make a couple extensions so I can get my panels further out into sun. Glad they showed up now so I can make 'em up while lake camping next week.

View attachment 109399

Also, being commited to getting as close as I can to zero-waste and not using single-use items, got a roll of 100 2.8 gal size biocompostable bags to use for food and other odorous waste instead of the typical grocery/walmart type plastic bags. These will be handy for hanging inside the back door of my van, galley use, and for light trash pickup as well. Unlike regular plastic bags, these are recyclable, compostable, and will break down within a year.

If anyone wants to try a couple, DM your contact info (might not see it for a couple weeks) and I'll send them out.
View attachment 109400
We use those bags in my home. Mainly for compost or picking up after the dogs. They work well breaking down in the compost pile but I have to be mindful of how long it's sat inside in the indoor compost bucket because it will start to break down after 10 days or so.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Last thing - OME constant heavy load rear 3.5” springs

Next- rear pucks if the springs don’t hold up. Front pucks if the do too well. If springs are perfect I’m on to extra fuel storage
Might look into airbags to assist with the extra weight as well? I go back and forth with the idea of ever using them, but I have heard some work well over others. I personally will probably end up with some sort of spacer to offset the sag in the rear from the added weight when fully loaded purely from a cost standpoint as the spacers are cheap and virtually maintenance free. I might end up swapping to a taller OME spring if push comes to shove.

Reactions: ZFrick

ZFrick

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Zack
Last Name
Frick
Member #

Might look into airbags to assist with the extra weight as well? I go back and forth with the idea of ever using them, but I have heard some work well over others. I personally will probably end up with some sort of spacer to offset the sag in the rear from the added weight when fully loaded purely from a cost standpoint as the spacers are cheap and virtually maintenance free. I might end up swapping to a taller OME spring if push comes to shove.
I’m on the rear bumpstios on a Rubicon Express 2.5” lift. The spring rate between these and the OME is about 50#. That with being a 3.5 should do the trick. I diddnt want to add a pick to a spring that isn’t going to hold up. I diddnt find a higher rate spring for a JLU at this time. If your just a little low, not like me and on bump stops, spacer pucks wouldn’t be bad..

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I’m on the rear bumpstios on a Rubicon Express 2.5” lift. The spring rate between these and the OME is about 50#. That with being a 3.5 should do the trick. I diddnt want to add a pick to a spring that isn’t going to hold up. I diddnt find a higher rate spring for a JLU at this time. If your just a little low, not like me and on bump stops, spacer pucks wouldn’t be bad..
Luckily I have room before I am on the bumpstops. It just rides like hell with the rear is sagging with the added weight. It's almost dangerous on the hwy. I think my issue is more due to the leveling effect I had when I had to replace the spring perches when I did my lift. There was a warning that it would level things out. I also think my rear spring isolators are worn, so I plan on replacing them and adding a small spacer, say 3/8"-1/2" via the OME trim spacer. I think those three bits on both rear springs should resolve my issue.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Got a couple of goodies yesterday. This may sound silly, but bought an EMP Shield device for my truck. Since my truck is half bug out vehicle / have overlander, I HAD to get it lol. Also received my tire deflator kit, folding camping chairs (size of a 64 oz water bottle when in its case), a portable/recharge fan, and a Dometic CFX 28 fridge coming tomorrow. Opted for the smaller size due to where I plan on putting it in my truck.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Wish AEV made products for the 4Runners
I'll bet your local welding shop can fabricate anything cheeper than you can buy it. My local welder fabricates off road bumpers that are far better than you can buy and you don't have to pay $300 for shipping.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just installed a water tank and built a platform

Tank and pump are in the front corner.
Carpet squares to cover the platform and side walls.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I have a lot of electrical to do.
View attachment 110818View attachment 110819

View attachment 110818View attachment 110819
We were discussing safe water and storage the other day in the forums. Thanks for this post, it should be helpful to those wanting to carry enough safe water aboard at a reasonable cost.