What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Just got the last thing I bought - a 2" front, 2.5" rear ADF lift kit - installed. That was a lot of work. The CB radio with NOAA that I plan on next should be an easier job... ;) Thinking of the Uniden CMX660, CMX760, or Midland 75-822, as I want NOAA and something small.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
285's and 315's are the same height, Right ? I want 285's for my Disco and they measure almost 33". The 315's I have for the Dodge are 33" also. but they are 60 series. Tire sizes confuse me. Are you looking for a wider tire or a taller tire or both ?
No 315/70/17 is equal to like 34.8 and 285 are like 33.4

Reactions: sabjku

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It's leaf springs on all 4 corners not coils but they have the blocks for the rear. Coils would be a better ride tho. It's fun but a rough ride
I could use some new shocks. It rides like a stage coach right now.
No 315/70/17 is equal to like 34.8 and 285 are like 33.4
I would guess rim size may have something to do with total height as well. Both the tires I mentioned are mounted on 16" wheels.

Reactions: Magic Mike

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
How many batteries will you use ? Not including your vehicle battery !
Just the Dometic PLB, I went with a portable option so it wouldn't be tied to the vehicle. The PLB runs the fridge for almost 2 days depending on conditions and I can charge it with the vehicle 12 volt system or the solar panel as needed. Being portable I can use it in other vehicles, tailgating at the Panthers games, or bring it into the house if we lose power during a hurricane or the brutal winters we experience here in North Carolina :grinning:

Reactions: Retinens803

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just the Dometic PLB, I went with a portable option so it wouldn't be tied to the vehicle. The PLB runs the fridge for almost 2 days depending on conditions and I can charge it with the vehicle 12 volt system or the solar panel as needed. Being portable I can use it in other vehicles, tailgating at the Panthers games, or bring it into the house if we lose power during a hurricane or the brutal winters we experience here in North Carolina :grinning:
Two days on just the PLB sounds amazing. My solar is portable as well but not quite so easy as your set up, I think it may be a bit larger in size, not in watts. I have two 1000w hr. marine batteries not connected to my charging system but I have yet to test them out. My batteries are on my Scamp trailer so there is no way to charge them with my vehicle unless I hook the trailer up for travel. I have a backup 900w gas charger but I don't want to use it except for emergency use.
I'm not sure how the solar system operates, I guess I'll learn pretty fast once in use. It's the monitoring that confuses me right now. I'm told that the batteries should never be drained to less than 50%. I'm not sure yet how I will know when they are that low. Live and learn they say. Stay safe and dry..

FFJOORD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tierra Amarilla, NM
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Carrillo
Member #

I would guess rim size may have something to do with total height as well. Both the tires I mentioned are mounted on 16" wheels.
Copy that. She pushed a few tons of snow this winter though. It's a 93 RC with a 360. Would love to have it ride well enough for an overland rig. I put Falken MT's 245/75 16's and love them so much I put the AT3's on the FJ. I just had some general maintenance on the RC to keep it running. (Temp sensor, thermostat, distributor cap and rotor, and new wires and plugs) It's got 145,000 which ain't bad for being that old. I have an old Northman plow from a 3/4ton that she hauls in the winter and she's my daily otherwise. Gotta save miles on the FJ ya know. IMG_1272.JPGIMG_1273.JPG

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
Two days on just the PLB sounds amazing. My solar is portable as well but not quite so easy as your set up, I think it may be a bit larger in size, not in watts. I have two 1000w hr. marine batteries not connected to my charging system but I have yet to test them out. My batteries are on my Scamp trailer so there is no way to charge them with my vehicle unless I hook the trailer up for travel. I have a backup 900w gas charger but I don't want to use it except for emergency use.
I'm not sure how the solar system operates, I guess I'll learn pretty fast once in use. It's the monitoring that confuses me right now. I'm told that the batteries should never be drained to less than 50%. I'm not sure yet how I will know when they are that low. Live and learn they say. Stay safe and dry..
The better part of 2 days if I'm not running the Dometic CFX too low and if it's not a million degrees outside...the lithium iron phosphate battery is lighter, charges fairly quickly and apparently lasts longer...time will tell

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Copy that. She pushed a few tons of snow this winter though. It's a 93 RC with a 360. Would love to have it ride well enough for an overland rig. I put Falken MT's 245/75 16's and love them so much I put the AT3's on the FJ. I just had some general maintenance on the RC to keep it running. (Temp sensor, thermostat, distributor cap and rotor, and new wires and plugs) It's got 145,000 which ain't bad for being that old. I have an old Northman plow from a 3/4ton that she hauls in the winter and she's my daily otherwise. Gotta save miles on the FJ ya know. View attachment 101350View attachment 101351
I can see your front springs in the picture and mine look just like that. I think that is what a stock spring is supposed to look like now that I see yours. My Ram 250 4x4 is an 84 model and has only 116,000 miles. I am the second owner. I have only put 4000 miles on it in the 15 years I have owned it. I have the 360 as well with a 650 cfm Holly double pumper I replaced from the original Rochester 750 cfm carb . My tires and wheel came off a new 2005 Ram that the owner took off and replaced with larger tires. They are 275 R70/17 (32" tall) , It was a dealer swap. I can see from your pic's that if I had an off road bumper the bottom part of my finders could be trimmed off to be flush with the bottom of the grill. It would look good but that's a pretty expensive alternative for getting tire clearance. I'll work on a solution when I finish my immediate projects. Thanks for the pic's. Keep the girl rolling, Looks capable to me.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
The last thing I bought Overland related were X-Bull Recovery Tracks. Before that I built my own RTT rack out of Superstruts!

Things on my wish list to get before fall camping and hunting season: RTT, Portable Refrigerator, Lithium Portable Power, Sit On Top Kayak!

Truck 2.jpg

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

Yeah my wheels are 17”. The 315’s should give me another inch of clearance and that is what I’m looking for!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah my wheels are 17”. The 315’s should give me another inch of clearance and that is what I’m looking for!
Yeaaaaa for 35". Unless you have a big full size rig , 35's look better and do a good job. I'm going for the 3" lift right now and 33" is all it will take but later I will add the additional 2" spacers, longer front drive shaft and longer panard rod to finally get my 35" tires. That's down the road al long way and I probably wont make it that long. music " but I can dream cant I ". That's what keeps me alive anyway.

Reactions: Magic Mike

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Yeaaaaa for 35". Unless you have a big full size rig , 35's look better and do a good job. I'm going for the 3" lift right now and 33" is all it will take but later I will add the additional 2" spacers, longer front drive shaft and longer panard rod to finally get my 35" tires. That's down the road al long way and I probably wont make it that long. music " but I can dream cant I ". That's what keeps me alive anyway.
Nice!!!! Yeah I gotta do a body mount chop, and add some 1.25 Spyder Tracks and I shouldn’t have any problems fitting 315’s, but only time will tell! Stay tuned I’ll keep everyone advised!

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
I wont be going on hard core trails but good to see them on a real truck are they armoury
Yes, I wanted the Garrison but then common sense came back to me and I remembered that I really don’t need a bead lock! Glad I did the Garrison is $450.00 each!