What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
I like them from what I know about them. I live in the SW where it is hot, spring, summer and Fall. Let us know if it ventalites well enough for southern comfort.
I was planning on testing it out this weekend. However my fridge decided it wanted to go out so I will be looking for one instead!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I would like to get a proper refrigerator, but I have no real place to put it where it will not take up too much space, yet can be moved. The way my truck it setup, it's more of an apartment, than a utility truck lol.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Well after much research on solar systems I finally made the decision to pull the trigger and buy the Harbor freight 100w Kit system . I found a couple of video's on YouTube that pushed me over the cliff. This is a one year later video from a man who makes his living using solar power, so please watch the video. Lanlubber

Reactions: sabjku

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would like to get a proper refrigerator, but I have no real place to put it where it will not take up too much space, yet can be moved. The way my truck it setup, it's more of an apartment, than a utility truck lol.
You need to check out the videos on truck camping setups on YouTube. You cant reinvent a wheel so why try. All the solutions are there and some very good ones are there for you to see. The video below is a good place to start. I don't thing the cabinetry is that important other than some frame work that can hold all your goodies. Enjoy

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Well after much research on solar systems I finally made the decision to pull the trigger and buy the Harbor freight 100w Kit system . I found a couple of video's on YouTube that pushed me over the cliff. This is a one year later video from a man who makes his living using solar power, so please watch the video. Lanlubber
I've seen those videos before. After some research I went with the 100w Renogy Kit for about $192, so about $50 more than what you paid. I hooked mine up with 1000w pure sine wave inverter with a remote switch.

Attachments

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I just upgraded my suspension from a 3" level kit and 2" rear blocks to a medium duty Old Man EMU on my 2013 Tacoma.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just bought one of these fold down tables for the rear door.

Now looking for some molle steel panel to fit round it and organise the rest of the rear door storage.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Is it possible to give us some info on that rear door table, it looks ideal for my LRD2 and I would like to investigate the possibility.

Reactions: Magic Mike

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I've seen those videos before. After some research I went with the 100w Renogy Kit for about $192, so about $50 more than what you paid. I hooked mine up with 1000w pure sine wave inverter with a remote switch.
I'm a novice at this solar stuff. I have not bought the inverter yet because I have no idea what would be overkill or undershooting. Maybe you can clue me in. I understand that the size is based mostly on what or how much equipment is drawing power and how much storage you have. I have two 35a 1000w hr. batteries and that's all. My Scamp trailer has an elect. ref but it can run on propane so I have not considered that as a draw on the system. I have a small microwave , small baking oven, radio, and computer. But they will not all be on at the same time ever. The trailer is used only for long durations while my short tern outings may last 3-6 days and I will use a different vehicle on those outings. with that rig I will only use 50w (2-panels and 1 battery).. I will only need power for the portable refer and I don't want to have to use the vehicle to charge the battery. Someone mentioned a 30w inverter for that, what do you think from your experiences ?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I'm a novice at this solar stuff. I have not bought the inverter yet because I have no idea what would be overkill or undershooting. Maybe you can clue me in. I understand that the size is based mostly on what or how much equipment is drawing power and how much storage you have. I have two 35a 1000w hr. batteries and that's all. My Scamp trailer has an elect. ref but it can run on propane so I have not considered that as a draw on the system. I have a small microwave , small baking oven, radio, and computer. But they will not all be on at the same time ever. The trailer is used only for long durations while my short tern outings may last 3-6 days and I will use a different vehicle on those outings. with that rig I will only use 50w (2-panels and 1 battery).. I will only need power for the portable refer and I don't want to have to use the vehicle to charge the battery. Someone mentioned a 30w inverter for that, what do you think from your experiences ?
Hey Lanlubber, I'm a novice as well, but based all the YouTube videos I've watched, it is better to overshoot what you think you need. For the portable refer it would depend on the size and it's consumption based on the vendor specs, how long the compressor stays one, etc. Here's a decent video on calculating solar power.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You need to check out the videos on truck camping setups on YouTube. You cant reinvent a wheel so why try. All the solutions are there and some very good ones are there for you to see. The video below is a good place to start. I don't thing the cabinetry is that important other than some frame work that can hold all your goodies. Enjoy
Thank you, I've seen this video as well as this guy has skills. One of my build requirements is the ability to take everything out easily, so no major bolt on or modifications/holes to the bed of the truck. My feeling is that down the road I will probably change my configuration as I take more and more overland trips.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey Lanlubber, I'm a novice as well, but based all the YouTube videos I've watched, it is better to overshoot what you think you need. For the portable refer it would depend on the size and it's consumption based on the vendor specs, how long the compressor stays one, etc. Here's a decent video on calculating solar power.

The only reason I question the inverter size is because the larger the inverter the more energy it takes away from the system. I just watched a video of a guy who has a small travel trailer and a 100w Harbor freight kit system. He has 2 -12v deep cell marine batteries (the same as me) He uses a 400w pure wave inverter. He says he can go 5 days without a charging and 2 years without any problems. The ref is the freezer type but will be the compressor model that I am about to purchase off eBay for $279 if they don't run out of them before the 4th of June. I'm not opposed to the 1000w inverter but I doubt I will ever increase my solar wattage.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The only reason I question the inverter size is because the larger the inverter the more energy it takes away from the system. I just watched a video of a guy who has a small travel trailer and a 100w Harbor freight kit system. He has 2 -12v deep cell marine batteries (the same as me) He uses a 400w pure wave inverter. He says he can go 5 days without a charging and 2 years without any problems. The ref is the freezer type but will be the compressor model that I am about to purchase off eBay for $279 if they don't run out of them before the 4th of June. I'm not opposed to the 1000w inverter but I doubt I will ever increase my solar wattage.
Sounds like a good setup. From everything I’ve read a pure sine wave inverter is the way to go. I didn’t want to take chances especially with anything electrical.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I know a few people with the HF systems, and they bought them a few years back, when they'd go on sale for like $119 or something like that?! They've had good luck with them.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Just did some Yukon 4:88's in my Wrangler. HUGE difference over stock! More than anything, I'm impressed at how much better my gas mileage is, both around town, and on the hwy. The transmission doesn't have to hunt up and down so much as it did before. Much nicer driving it now. You'll be very happy!

Reactions: Magic Mike

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Rusty seems to do okay with this set up.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just did some Yukon 4:88's in my Wrangler. HUGE difference over stock! More than anything, I'm impressed at how much better my gas mileage is, both around town, and on the hwy. The transmission doesn't have to hunt up and down so much as it did before. Much nicer driving it now. You'll be very happy!
That makes since to me, less effort more efficient..

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Yeah it’ll be awesome when the 315’s go on

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah it’ll be awesome when the 315’s go on
I have a complete new set of PRO-COMP a/t 315's x 16 on all new steel 8 hole rims I bought for my 84 dodge but haven't put them on yet because I need a 2 " lift up front due to old saggy springs (???) . I haven't been able to find any 2" lift springs for it. All they sell is 4" and I don't need that much. I may need to have someone make special springs for me or have mine re-arched. Right now I have other projects that need my attention and money, soooo Later..