What do you use to store all your gear?

• HTML tutorial

PauldF

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I have used the rubbermaid large boxes (AP's I think) for years. Strong, hold a ton (can get heavy), not waterproof but don't really leak unless outside on the roof rack in a downpour without a tarp, but don't really stack all that well and they don't have tie-down attachments. They are very slippery and the stacking design isn't very good - at least on these old models. I think I'm in the market for some new boxes and will check out the Planos and the Wolf Packs. Front Runner has a store right by me and I checked the Wolf Packs out and I like them - they stack nicely but they are not waterproof either and the plastic sides seem a bit thin. How stackable - ie; stay together well are the Plano's?

Azn_Ang

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a small rigid tool box, 50 cal ammo can, couple 9mm ammo cans, tool bags. I’m eventually moving to all rigid toolboxes. I love the one I have and can’t wait to get more.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I haven't really settled in on any particular brand of box. I have a Pelican case for my camera gear and am looking for another used one for my wife's camera gear. We also bolt an MTM Case-Gard to our roofrack to carry our hiking boots or the little buddy heater, depending on the time of year. . A couple of rubbermaid (snap shut, foam seal lid) cases to carry our MREs and dry foods and sundries in. Other than that, the remainder of all our gear is in the rig or trailer, which are water and dust proof, with multiple homemade drawers and hatches so everything has it's place and all places have their things. Tool's, clothing, winter gear, etc etc are all in softbags and tuck into most anywhere. However, I did design the trailer so that our old big Rubbermaid Roughneck totes would fit perfectly and fill the bottom up. Since the drawers were installed everywhere we switched to soft bags and gave those totes to our kids to use in the bottom of their trailer.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I use Frontrunner Wolf and Cub packs, as mentioned above, they are squared all the way up with no overhangs that kill space, and they stack. I mostly use the Cub packs, although smaller I prefer to have more of these, that are better organized and less sufted. They are easy to look into and find what you are looking for. I found the larger boxes became overloaded, and there was too much in them. I had to tear everything out to find the one thing I needed.
agreed, we used to use big ass totes for everything. Had to pull them up and out and drag em around. It was way too easy to overload them. I've considered the cub and wolfpacks as I am a fan of Frontrunner products. How well do they keep the elements out when mounted up top?

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

agreed, we used to use big ass totes for everything. Had to pull them up and out and drag em around. It was way too easy to overload them. I've considered the cub and wolfpacks as I am a fan of Frontrunner products. How well do they keep the elements out when mounted up top?
No issues in light rain, and general spills from using them as tables. No issues with dirt while standing on them to reach up to my rack. All solid enough to accomplish those tasks. I was warned about heavy or wind driven rain, that they are not water proof. I think it would take a down pour, and I rarely am in that kind of weather. With a little effort I think you would be able to seal these without issue. Again I stress the smaller box, but look at dimensions and see what fits best side to side and vertically. Good luck.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

re: Front Runner Outfitters - Cub Packs and Flat Packs

Been several mentions of the FRO Cub Packs and one or two of the FRO Flat Packs in this thread. In re-organizing the nose box on my XVenture XV-2 trailer recently, compartmentalizing gear for more full-time storage and efficiency, I started using my FRO Cub Packs and Flat Packs more there than just inside my van or in/on-top of my trailer.

I found that I can put four of either, or mixed, in the right compartment (meant for a fridge, tho I keep my fridge in my tow vehicle) and two in the center compartment meant for two jerry cans of water.

Though the first image below shows two and two in the right compartment, I found that alternating flat pack, cub pack, flat pack, cub pack allows each to be pulled out and put back in more easily, as having two Cub Packs on end next to each other tends to let them lock together as if stacked.

Having six same sized packs, if I choose, in my nose box is huge, as now I can grab whichever box I need at the moment, whether around camp or on the road, and get it back in place with all contents in place. Super efficient, super organized, and makes for less time searching for items and more time for the task at hand or simply being out there enjoying myself.

I use adhesive pouches on the hard shells (and the built-in pouches on the flat packs) to hold biz-card sized labels. I can pull out and add/subtract items to my contents list on the cards as needed. Makes it easy to keep gear where it goes when not in use, and to find a particular item when needed.

These packs, on end, leave enough room in my nose box to pack other regularly used items on top while moving or in camp, that I may want out of the weather or locked up at night, like my ax and hatchet, 12v cords, small battery chargers, etc. They also leave room around the edges to pack other gear, as seen below.

cubpacks-nosebox-rt_6606.jpeg

cubpacks-nosebox-lt_6605.jpeg

cubpacks-nosebox_6620.jpeg

The more FRO gear I use, the more I like their whole line.

XV-2 owners:
@KSTrekker
@RyanJ
@Russ Laraway
@TNToverlanders
@Ed B

roninrunner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chesapeake, VA
Member #

Right now. I'm using a mediocre Wal-Mart box for my day-day gear (hitch ball, hitch hook, tow straps, shovel, first aid, ratchet straps, etc). But, I just installed some Rago Fabrication Modular Storage Panels and will be putting up a roof basket. I have a couple various sized pelican cases coming in from work soon that will be part of my day-day.

Some DIY custom drawers will be built (probably over the summer), these will store the usual, plus some travel gear. And some Rubbermaid Action Packer boxed will be joining the collection soon.

Attachments

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

On a recent trip, I drove most of the day through rain in Colorado. At one point it was raining sideways. I keep two duffles on the top of my expedition trailer. My North Face bag stores my RTT annex, shower tent, sand mats, and gear for my FoxWing awning. The other bag is a Yeti Panga 100, which is waterproof and submersible. I store my sleeping bags, pillows, and comfort items for the tent. I get home and the North Face bag had standing water, even though the zippers were closed. Items in the Yeti bag were bone dry.

Reactions: Zdorf

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

I like the Front Runner storage boxes, but they are really expensive. Here's an alternative that's much cheaper and more ubiquitous, the Ziploc Weathershield: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-26-5-and-44-Quart-WeatherShield-Storage-Box-4-Pack/37299946

They come in clear or black and in several different sizes. The link above is for 4 of them in two different sizes. They aren't nearly as well made as the Front Runner boxes, but they'll do for food storage and paper products. I wouldn't store cast iron in them...

20180614_111147.jpg 20180614_111159.jpg

Reactions: Craig M

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm glad I found this thread, currently running a Plano 27 gallon Sport Storage locker. It's my only container so this will help me in getting other containers

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I came really close to buying those weathersheilds, they seemed decent, especially for the money. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a van build, and if I do, I may end up picking some up for that.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I’ve had the weathershields on my roof rack in strong rain with no problems. The little blue latch on the side isn’t as strong as something you’d find on a better case, so take care of them. I’ve been thinking of drilling out the plastic peg and putting a metal one in place.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I tried a pair of long "Pelican-like" boxes from Princess Auto for the first time last weekend. I like that they are shallow … saves a lot of digging for things. They have roller wheels on one end which make them easy to pull out.

Here they are in the back of my Cherokee XJ. They are strong enough to withstand quite a load on top of them. They fit perfectly in the back of my LJ. I may build a platform over them which would make them easy to remove with disturbing other equipment on top of the platform.

18-06-14 1.JPG
18-06-14 2.JPG

18-06-14 3.JPG

I have smaller cases of the same type for other equipment.

Last edited:

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

I tried a pair of long "Pelican-like" boxes form Princess Auto for the first time last weekend. I like that they are shallow … saves a lot of digging for things. They have roller wheels on one end which make them easy to pull out.

Here they are in the back of my Cherokee XJ. They are strong enough to withstand quite a load on top of them. They fit perfectly in the back of my LJ. I may build a platform over them which would make them easy to remove with disturbing other equipment on top of the platform.

View attachment 59466
View attachment 59467

View attachment 59468

I have smaller cases of the same type for other equipment.
Looks like a good fit. Do they have a weather seal on them? Have you tried using them as benches or tables?

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

I've been transitioning the HDX totes that I was originally using and reorganized the majority of my gear into 2 Plano 1919 boxes, but I still had some stuff that was infrequently needed in the HDX totes. I was camping last weekend and it rained on my way there and then periodically off and on. And I'm talking monsoon style downpour. The issue I found with the HDX boxes is the sunken lid surface. Great for stacking, not so great for shedding water. When I got home and was unpacking, I found the interiors of the Planos were damp (hell, everything was damp) due to condensation thanks to the 100% humidity.

Additionally, as I was sorting through and drying out all of the stuff I didn't use, I decided to whittle the kit down to better support the shorter trips I do, as well as remove some of the "luxury" items. I'm now down to 2 of the Plano 1619's (Small Storage Tub).

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Looks like a good fit. Do they have a weather seal on them? Have you tried using them as benches or tables?
They are weather tight which is another reason why I like them. I can close them quickly if it starts to rain plus store them in an open trailer or even on a roof rack. You can also lock them with a padlock. Many of the smaller boxes also have an air pressure release valve. They come with foam inserts for use if you want to customize them for tools, guns, etc. I managed to find some inexpensive plastic boxes to store items. With the lid closed I can carry them like a suit case and everything stays in the boxes.

I haven't used them very much yet but I've had them on the bench of a picnic table, on the ground and on the tailgate of my Jeep Comanche.