What do you use to store all your gear?

• HTML tutorial

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

Just in case anyone is interested, the lighter duty Plano storage trunks (Item 1819XX) are on sale at Academy for $19.99. The heavy duty models (Item 1919XX) are still $42.99.

Reactions: Sir William Goes

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Looking at getting some new storage boxes to carry all of our gear. Wanted to hear from you guy what you use and what do you think the best storage boxes are.

Currently we use sportsman trunks we picked up from bass pro shop. They are not water proof and we are not sure if these are the best boxes. Thanks in advance for the help
the Plano boxes can be made waterproof for next to nothing. Check it out here. I have one in use so far and a rubbermaid tub. I also have a milspec plastic ammo carrier that is waterproof and houses my tools and recovery gear. The Plano cases are a popular and affordable option. Pelican would be the idea choice, but the price is steep.

Reactions: Kirk Kinnell

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

At the beginning I used cheap Home Depot boxes like this:IMG_8326.JPG

I loved how cheap they were and that they kept mostly everything out... But there was one trip that kept raining pretty hard for more than 10 hours and some of the boxes leaked...

Pelican Boxes and Brand aluminum boxes are pretty expensive here in Mexico, but I found a guy that works for a pharmaceutic and they bring vaccines in some aluminum boxes, although these are not hermetic, they are well insulated and haven't had any problem with rain or dust (so far)...
IMG_0080.JPG

Last edited:

GHQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fidalgo Island, WA USA
Member #

Pelican Boxes and Brand aluminum boxes are pretty expensive here in Mexico, but I found a guy that works for a pharmaceutic and they bring vaccines in some aluminum boxes, ...
Nicely done. That's quite the upgrade!

Pelican or Hardigg med boxes do the work for me -- stackable, water/dust proof, wheeled, double as camp furniture. One con is they tend to be heavy.
s-l1600hard.jpg

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

Nicely done. That's quite the upgrade!

Pelican or Hardigg med boxes do the work for me -- stackable, water/dust proof, wheeled, double as camp furniture. One con is they tend to be heavy.
View attachment 39140
Yeah! it was a nice upgrade and they cost around $50USD each... I bought a lot of them, not only for the truck gear, but also for my cameras and some important paperwork...

Yours look really sturdy! Those Pelican are amazing!

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I can't say enough good things about MTM cases. Available at Cabella's or Amazon, they are lightweight, very well designed, very water resistant, designed to stack and also designed to be able to be tied down and the AC4C ammo cans are easy to reorganize in the field if you find you're using some cases more than others. We use 3 of the AC4C cases and 4 of their ACR8-72 Utility Boxes. Love them all.

MTM AC4C
81vrPqGZNAL._SL1500_.jpg

91dPi0iDtEL._SL1500_.jpg

ACR8-72
81GaDdxHg4L._SL1500_.jpg

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I can't say enough good things about MTM cases. Available at Cabella's or Amazon, they are lightweight, very well designed, very water resistant, designed to stack and also designed to be able to be tied down and the AC4C ammo cans are easy to reorganize in the field if you find you're using some cases more than others. We use 3 of the AC4C cases and 4 of their ACR8-72 Utility Boxes. Love them all.

MTM AC4C
View attachment 39675

View attachment 39676

ACR8-72
View attachment 39677
Second on this. I have the ammo crate utility box for my recovery gear and tools. Keeps everything organized and out of the way

Reactions: LandPirate

TFlo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, OR
Member #

Just found these Dewalt rolling toolboxes. They were on sale at my Home Depot for $39. They have a telescoping handle and an o-ring seal. We'll see how they hold up to the elements...

Attachments

Reactions: ChepoCDT

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I have about 6 of these. $50 ea at a local second hand store. View attachment 41408
I have couple of those also. They are great. They are aluminum surplus army medical chests and come in a few different heights.

I've been looking at options for storing gear on my roof rack. Needs to be low profile so I was looking at the shorter version of the medical chest. They are a little harder to find. During my search I came across surplus used safe deposit box drawer inserts. A pretty standard size for them is 21.5"L x 10"W x 5"H. I haven't purchased one yet but thought I would mention them as they look like they would work really well and most have a hasp to secure them with a padlock. They are pretty inexpensive also.

-Curtiss

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
The down side to these alum med containers is the weight. Lifting these fully loaded could result in a damaged roof or body panel. You just about need a hoist. The upside is once all 10 latches are secure, you could use one at a floatation device. They have very good seals.

My plan is to mount two up to on my Land Rover build and leave them there. The stuff I'll keep up there will be extra parts, tools and recovery equipment. Another use I'm planning is to put one under my sleeping platform inside, and convert it to a cook station / stove and fuel storage. I have a sort of "proof of concept" build for that right now but it still needs to be refined.

I also want to find a set of the legs in the picture below to incorporate into that build. They are called Brenner Table Leg Sets, and sometimes pop up on eBay for about 10 times the price that they are worth.
So be on the lookout for some and PM me if you find a set.

I also have one that contains my gas fire pit with a 10lbs propane tank. So many options.........;-)

brenner.png

Last edited:

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Front Runner Wolf Pack for me. They stack great, they're light, and they're durable enough to use as furniture. The only con I've had is that the latches can be hard to fasten when your hands are cold.

IMG_9253.JPG

Reactions: Sparky