Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Monee, IL, USA
First Name
Angharad
Last Name
Krasowski
Looking at getting some new storage boxes to carry all of our gear. Wanted to hear from you guy what you use and what do you think the best storage boxes are.

Currently we use sportsman trunks we picked up from bass pro shop. They are not water proof and we are not sure if these are the best boxes. Thanks in advance for the help

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Not necessarily the 'best', but I just used the below boxes on my roof rack for our trip to CO.. Lots of rain and a couple thousand of miles on the roof rack without issue.. Not bad for < $20:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Contico-Storage-Locker/51755728

YMMV but for that cheap, I figured they were worth a shot..

I also use Action Packers, but those are less water resistant, so they are for inside only now.
20170708_070231.jpg

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Looking at getting some new storage boxes to carry all of our gear. Wanted to hear from you guy what you use and what do you think the best storage boxes are.

Currently, we use sportsman trunks we picked up from bass pro shop. They are not water proof and we are not sure if these are the best boxes. Thanks in advance for the help
Hi, Krasowski - I live in my Jeep and I store all my gear/belongings in the Plano 1919 storage containers - http://amzn.to/2tiAyd9 - I have four of them and carry them on my roof rack. They are not advertised as water proof, but I've been through rain, snow, and sleet and have not had a leakage issue. I use the 108-quart size but they do come in different sizes.

Crusin' The Back Roads!.jpg

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Pelican cases. A few I've purchased new, but most of them I find off Craigslist for about half the cost of new.

1650 camp kitchen
x2 1550 tools & spares
1500 recovery kit
1600 sleeping bag, pillow, 2 blankets
1560 food storage
1200 GoPro case

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I use a variety of containers for storing stuff, and have a veritable boatload of different sizes and strengths. What I pull out and use depends on what type of wandering I'm going to do and where. Some stuff lives permanently in certain containers, always ready to go.

What I use most are four Plano #1619 56qt Sportsman's Trunks for everyday stuff, clothes, and non-food camp gear; three newer Zarges K470 aluminum cases for kitchen/food stuffs, and three different Pelican cases for my photog gear.

I really like the smaller size Plano 1619, and find the 108 qt just too big for most stuff so far. The 1619's are only 24" long exterior and a comfortable sitting height, and fit nicely under the different bed arrangements I've had. Adding some EPDM 1/2 round rubber to the inner lip on the lid, as shown in other threads here, is really helpful in making them tighter to weather, though they really do pretty damned good on their own without it. I used Trim-Lok and time will tell how it holds up. I like that it's hollow and flattens when the clasps are battened down.

The Zarges I have because they're pretty much bear-proof and about the longest-lived gear I own, and I know the extra pesos spent on them mean they're something that will outlive me, and that my daughter and likely her daughter will be able to use. I kinda like knowing that, and that the slow accumulation of stickers and badges may mean something to them at some point long after I'm gone.

roaddude_zarges_9672.JPG

I chose the two sizes that are "Bear Resistant" - two 40678 and one 40810.

roaddude_zarges_9673.JPG
They stack so nicely.

I chose Zarges over Alu-Box because the gasket is in the lid, not on the rim of the lower case like Alu-Box. I know from experience I'd end up fouling that gasket and getting little gashes and chunks torn out of it. I ordered mine from Zarges direct, in Charlotte NC and they showed up (free shipping) in two days.

The Pelicans, well, are Pelicans and live up the the Pelican name. Heavier, extremely protective, have pressure valves, just all-around rugged beasts. I've had one for 12 years, a 1510 with wheels and extendable carry-on handle, that has been all over the continent with me. Recently found a gigantic 1620 on craigslist for way cheap that I picked up to go with my 1600 because they stack well. The 1620 you could wash a dog in, seriously, and the 1600 is about half the height.

I have a mess of black/red Sterilite Industrial Totes that are way cheap, too, at like only $9ea/60qt & $12ea/108qt that I use for carpentry, garden, and household use. They've stood up really well to all sorts of abuse like hauling demolition debris, hauling power tools in and out of my van daily, being loaded up with loam and compost, etc. They have a nice lip on the lid, a place to lock if you like, and stack really, really, well. Great for storage, though I'm not sure I'll use the larger sizes for camping as the sidewalls will bulge if overloaded. They do have some great smaller sizes I just got from Walmart that also stack nicely, that are far sturdier in the smaller sizes that I plan on using for a variety of things in the van and trailer. Bathroom stuff, first aid, etc.

I also love my Magpul Daka Pouches and use them for everything from electronics, cords, to maps, passport, and legal papers, etc.

I'm a container geek, and need to do a write up or vid post at some point on all of this.

Thanks for asking the question, Krasowski, made me realize just how many containers of diff types I have.

Road

Last edited:

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

I'm glad to see this thread (and the ones Steve pointed out) as I was wondering about this very issue last weekend. In the past I've just thrown everything in the back of the 4Runner, but recognize that's not the safest thing to do. I also now have a roof rack and will carry stuff up there when the Ridgebacks are in the back, so I'll need some containers to carry camping gear, food, etc.

Reactions: Hazelwoodjr

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Yeah same here. Plano Sportsmans and Pelicans. Though I did not, nor would not, pay the asking price for pelicans. I was fortunate to get some freebies from work. Awesome cases but wow are they expensive!

Reactions: krzyboy2o

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I'm not sure what "gear" means in your instance but if it consists mainly of fairly light-weigh items (e.g., tents, sleeping bags, etc), then I'd go with a rooftop box. I have a set of Thule 50" crossbars which extends out a bit from the roof line. I mount the rooftop box as far out as I can, which leaves me quite a bit of space to throw on a cargo box. It doesn't look as bad-ass having all the boxes strapped up but it adds a bit more security.

Reactions: obchristo and Road

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Contigo Tuffbins are another great option that hasn't been mentioned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

I'm currently using a combination of 12 & 17 Gallon HDX storage bins from Home Depot (black w/ yellow lids) for camping gear. I modified them slightly to use tarp bungees to hinge the lids, then added J-Hooks and 1/4" bungee for latches. After the ride in and a roundabout ride out of camp last weekend, as well as driving through some typical liquid sunshine on the way home, the contents were dry and relatively dust free.

I also use Plano 36" gun cases attached to my bed cross bars to hold recovery gear and miscellaneous brush clearing tools (machete, axe, bow saw, etc.).

Reactions: Zdorf

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

I used to use storage bins, but moved to soft packs. Easier to pack and more efficient on space IMO. Plus, I hate digging through large bins just to find something buried at the bottom. That said, I don't have a pickup and don't have to deal with locking, moisture, or dust getting in. Nor do I put anything on the roof of my truck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Zdorf

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
Through a bit of trial and error, I've settled in with the DeWalt Tough Box system. They have a few different sizes to choose from and they are not too expensive. They have a decent seal on them to keep out moisture and dust. I have left them outside at camp in the rain and they did fine. Most of the time I just slide them under the Jeep at night. Strong enough to stand and sit on and stack well. I like the top (removable) top tray in them as well. I use those for the little things that can get away from you in other boxes. Good for Thermacell cartridges, lantern mantles, etc. I've never traveled with them outside of the Jeep, so I can't comment on how they would do up on a rack.

Here is a stock pic to give you an idea.

Dewalt.jpg

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I use action packers but have switched some of my gear over to the Frontrunner boxes because of their right angles and interlocking capability. I still have my recovery gear in one larger-sized action packer which needs to change, it's far too heavy and cumbersome when you need something during a recovery. Haven't decided how to go about that yet. Some of these smaller upright boxes may work.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
We like the Plano boxes as well. We also use the rigid tool boxes sold at Lowe's. They have a gasket around the lid tp keep the dust and water out. When you stack them they have a built in latch to secure them to each other.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I use Frontrunner Wolf and Cub packs, as mentioned above, they are squared all the way up with no overhangs that kill space, and they stack. I mostly use the Cub packs, although smaller I prefer to have more of these, that are better organized and less sufted. They are easy to look into and find what you are looking for. I found the larger boxes became overloaded, and there was too much in them. I had to tear everything out to find the one thing I needed.