Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

the one up side to having a full size is everything fits inside so cheapy plastic containers work . I have been changing storage to soft bags , everything just fits in a smaller space that way

Reactions: CAISOB Taco

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Those look like a good size. I tried to find them on the site, but couldn’t. Do you know the size?
Here you go … 44.0 x 16.5 x 6.5 in. They're not light but I question the weight shown. 25 lbs. seems high. They go on sale all the time for about $90 CDN. They're as tough as nails and as the one reviewer says … "This thing is made to go to war." If you search the site for "high impact resistant tool box" you can see the various sizes (likewise often on sale).

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/44-in-impact-resistant-tool-box/A-p8725384e

Reactions: brianb2

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I used a couple of these Remington totes on a trip to Baja and I was quite satisfied. They are not as boxy as the Frontrunners, but have a good seal and metal bails on the latches. And for about $30 each, they are a good size that you can load up and still be able to move them. Additionally, with the addition of a little grip tape, they can double as a step to access you engine for repairs or whatever.

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_1186786_-1?campID=1445961310&groupID=56670600376&device=c&productID=101750169&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0ITko6Wf3AIVgbxkCh38ZwivEAQYAiABEgKQA_D_BwE

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I tried some of these when I went camping for a week at the beginning of the month. They are "Magnum - ammo crate utility boxes". They are listed at 3.78 lbs. each, measure 19"x15.75"x8" and they're stackable. Princess Auto has them occasionally in its surplus section for under $25 ea. I liked them - light weight and easy to pack and carry.

I had a 3rd one and kept all of my canned & dry food in it. The one on the right below had a lantern, single burner stove and some propane related items in it. That all came out for the week and the case served as my wash basin.

18-07-02 3.JPG 18-07-02 4.JPG

Reactions: Sonarman

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

75F807BC-DCC9-4134-8B53-49E4F232E98C.jpeg 4F25B5BE-D965-4E4F-B752-BE32A414B8D8.jpeg 13BD4AB5-BD40-4E00-B7B7-A73081CC292E.jpeg I just posted this is another part of the forum, but it looks better suited for here:

I actually held off on posting this, but it's been a very welcome, effective and inexpensive alternative for my beginning overlanding adventures and storage solutions. While with the other half at The Container Store, I came across some "Weathertight Totes". I took a look and they are sturdy (not like aluminum boxes, but they're plastic) - though, quite a dense/thick plastic and stackable; they're meant to be, and in varying configurations as well.

So, I took a shot and for short money I got a pair of the 103qt totes. I bought two cans of matte plasti-dip and sprayed them to block whatever I need to put inside if it's valuable and stored in the car while I'm not near. Easy to spray. They're wheeled, so it's easy transport and have beefy handles. They have a foam gasket all the way around the interior of the lid and they seal with 6 latches so they give an air- and weather-proof seal. Whether I'm keeping the stuff in storage or using it as an impromptu seat outside, they hold up well and they keep all of my stuff dry. The wife bought a ton and puts pillows and clothes and the like in the basement -stuff you can't risk getting damp- you can always pawn them off initially for that usage :) My buddy uses his for dog food, and I got my Dad hooked on using some smaller ones on the boat, where things need to stay dry and secured.

Again, I know they're not the best quality or the most rugged considering all of the other units out there, but they've certainly served me well in my trips so far. I haven't tried the trunk out yet, but I think I'll be picking it up in the near future. The other sizes are good for storing smaller electronics, maps and food items (and keeping TP..."mountain money"...) dry. For short cash, I'd say that they're worth a shot. I've attached some links down below - if you have any questions, let me know. I"ll post some pics tomorrow. If I put this in the wrong forum section, let me know and I'll post it elsewhere.

Ones I bought ($34.99): https://www.containerstore.com/s/103-qt.-weathertight-tote-with-wheels/d?productId=11003173&q=foam

Clear Weathertight Totes https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-weathertight-totes-cases/d?productId=11007497&q=foam ,

Smaller sizes: https://www.containerstore.com/s/weathertight-totes/d?productId=11002961&q=foam

Clear Weathertight Trunk: https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-weathertight-trunk/d?productId=10024301&q=foam $39.99 (20 gal)

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Update: went to check out the trunk yesterday. Although it does feel a bittt sturdier, I like that the 103qt tote is not only larger, but the additional clasps make it feel overall more secure. Stick with the totes if you’re giving this option a try.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I use Frontrunner Wolf and Cub packs, as mentioned above, they are squared all the way up with no overhangs that kill space, and they stack. I mostly use the Cub packs, although smaller I prefer to have more of these, that are better organized and less sufted. They are easy to look into and find what you are looking for. I found the larger boxes became overloaded, and there was too much in them. I had to tear everything out to find the one thing I needed.
I agree with Front Runner boxes. Perfect for storing gear and keeping it dry. I also like how they can stack in tight areas of the rig. I am thinking of running 3 Wolf Pack storage boxes on a Gobi Stealth rack.

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

Looking at getting some new storage boxes to carry all of our gear. Wanted to hear from you guy what you use and what do you think the best storage boxes are.

Currently we use sportsman trunks we picked up from bass pro shop. They are not water proof and we are not sure if these are the best boxes. Thanks in advance for the help
Here, there , every where20180806_113658.jpeg

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

What kind of lite do you have on the rear window ? Really like it & would love to mount one on my Jeep.
Edit: link isn't showing up. Do a google search for the Brawlee Jeep cargo light.

I have one on mine and it is one of the best mods for a jku ever. Easy to install also.

Reactions: sabjku
S

SubeeBen

Edit: link isn't showing up. Do a google search for the Brawlee Jeep cargo light.

I have one on mine and it is one of the best mods for a jku ever. Easy to install also.
Awesome thanks for the info. Just found it on amazon, $64.95. Looks like a great addition.thanks again.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

What kind of lite do you have on the rear window ? Really like it & would love to mount one on my Jeep.
Yep, it’s the Brawlee. Definitely one of my most useful mods to date. Fits perfectly, inexpensive, great quality, and has multiple settings and adjustments. Highly recommend!

Reactions: SubeeBen

Kirk Kinnell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Independence, Missouri, United States
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Kinnell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0UWI
Service Branch
Army
I can't say enough good things about MTM cases. Available at Cabella's or Amazon, they are lightweight, very well designed, very water resistant, designed to stack and also designed to be able to be tied down and the AC4C ammo cans are easy to reorganize in the field if you find you're using some cases more than others. We use 3 of the AC4C cases and 4 of their ACR8-72 Utility Boxes. Love them all.

MTM AC4C
View attachment 39675

View attachment 39676

ACR8-72
View attachment 39677
How awesome is this!!! Ha being a shooter too this will be handy!!!

Reactions: Shamu

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

How are you all securing them to your roof racks? Got pics with close ups?