Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I broke another wheel stud. This time in the rear. The semi stripped lug nuts must have migrated to the rear during tire rotations because one got cross threaded and I couldn't remove it without breaking the stud. Thankfully the O'Reilly's in Auburn stocks the Dorman replacement studs. I'm also thankful I was able to "press" the new stud in using only a few washers and an OEM lug nut to pull it into place. There's no room to hammer the studs into the rear axle like you can up front. *whew*

20190921_075535.jpeg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Nothing big today... pulled the busted and infuriatingly noisy old auto-antenna and did the whip mod we’ve seen on the forums (link). Worked like a charm. And while we had the head unit out to replace the antenna, we decided to swap in a new head unit with blue tooth capability. Now, we can actually get local radio. We shouldn’t have waited a year to do this! Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

Junk out:

36A519CD-AE27-4A06-9379-BB486E2A2FB0.jpeg

Good stuff in:

718F2020-FE87-4AD2-B6BB-AA23CFCE3BC8.jpeg

770CA124-455D-4676-8814-528AB94F1197.jpeg

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
I'm always down for some snow wheeling. Even the paved roads become fun.

Foresthill Rd near China Camp.
Cool video! Those Snow ruts really control where they want you to go haha

I stumbled upon Sugar pine reservoir while I was out there and saw they have campsites and day use areas there. Have you camped out at That area? If so, how’d you like it?

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Cool video! Those Snow ruts really control where they want you to go haha

I stumbled upon Sugar pine reservoir while I was out there and saw they have campsites and day use areas there. Have you camped out at That area? If so, how’d you like it?
Trying to get out of the ruts and into the fresh snow becomes a game. lol

Sugar Pine is pretty but I tend to avoid it and especially Sly Park because it's a favorite spot for large groups of Russians to hang out and party. People have been trapped on the lake because the partiers hang out at the boat launch area and threaten boaters truying to leave. I had 2 guys in a Mercedes use the boat launch as a drag strip and they almost hit my family as we crossed the road on our mountain bikes. That's my experience though others may have had better experiences out there.

I prefer to camp near Bowman Lake, Jackson Meadows, Webber Lake, or even Ice House way over by Hwy50. I'd also suggest heading up to the Downieville/Graegle area. Tons of lakes and lots of dispursed camping and some great off-road trails.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Sugar Pine is pretty but I tend to avoid it and especially Sly Park because it's a favorite spot for large groups of Russians to hang out and party. People have been trapped on the lake because the partiers hang out at the boat launch area and threaten boaters truying to leave. I had 2 guys in a Mercedes use the boat launch as a drag strip and they almost hit my family as we crossed the road on our mountain bikes. That's my experience though others may have had better experiences out there.

I prefer to camp near Bowman Lake, Jackson Meadows, Webber Lake, or even Ice House way over by Hwy50. I'd also suggest heading up to the Downieville/Graegle area. Tons of lakes and lots of dispursed camping and some great off-road trails.
Sad you can't even camp out in your own local without harassment...RUSSIANS ???

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Sad you can't even camp out in your own local without harassment...RUSSIANS ???
Yeah. I didn't mean to sound xenophobic/racist or whatever. It's just a common thing around here. Most of the time you have no issues at most of the lakes around here but there are a few where it can be dicey.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yeah. I didn't mean to sound xenophobic/racist or whatever. It's just a common thing around here. Most of the time you have no issues at most of the lakes around here but there are a few where it can be dicey.
I understand, race has nothing to do with it.
Any group of people who disrespect the people around them is unacceptable. I think too many people are obnoxious and rude at best in today's world and show no respect for others. I go to the outback to get away from that sort of people.

Sonarman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North SF bay area
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Arietta
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KMA6AIU
Service Branch
US Submarine Force
Applied some Noico noise mat to my 2004 TJ’s front floorboards (getting her ready for the next Canyonlands trip). I’ll see...hear...if helps reduce some road noise after my Tom Woods CV driveshaft arrives and R&R the front upper control arm bushings. Southwest Jeep, not a speck of rust discovered after pulling up the carpet.

View attachment 117888View attachment 117889
Not a spec of dirt either!

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M

Woah, good thing I asked. Don’t want to get caught up in that stuff. Haha

I’ve been out to Jackson meadows a few times for day trips when I was young. The one thing that always stuck out with me there was how we could be out on the lake and realize we were the only ones there. And when you shut the boat off, it was nothing but silence. Which I think is pretty dang cool.

bowman lake was another on my list to visit. I’ve seen pictures of it from a friend and immediately wanted to go. I’ll also check out Webber lake. Thanks for the suggestions!

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

My
Woah, good thing I asked. Don’t want to get caught up in that stuff. Haha

I’ve been out to Jackson meadows a few times for day trips when I was young. The one thing that always stuck out with me there was how we could be out on the lake and realize we were the only ones there. And when you shut the boat off, it was nothing but silence. Which I think is pretty dang cool.

bowman lake was another on my list to visit. I’ve seen pictures of it from a friend and immediately wanted to go. I’ll also check out Webber lake. Thanks for the suggestions!
My pleasure. I have gpx files if you want route info. We just did an OB overnighter at Bowman last month.

If you have 2 days available then Poker Flat Trail is fun.